• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I could use some advice :-)

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dor of Sonoma

I've been working on my alternate Dor recently (DD, or 'Dyin Dor') As she runs a large establishment in Fel, she's always been basically cannon-fodder. Hehe

But! Somehow, she managed to get maximum deterity, and that's waaay too much energy to waste sitting around on her arse...so it got me to thinking about fencing. Yeah...stab things FAST! *wiggles eyebrows*

And so, I'm dropping Swords on her, and doing the sloooow-gain fencing dance (only up to 76-something, so far) An old friend kindly DPed my newbie dagger a few nights past, and so I thought I was set...not! I just found out (to my dismay), that I cannot poison anything with my handy-dandy dagger, unless I have MANA?!!! Gaaaaah...way to make a warrior cry. :-\

Her current stats are 125 dexterity, 89 strength, and 11 intelligence: pre-AoS +5 stat gift (haven't picked any of those yet) I so do NOT want to put a single point into intelligence (as she has zero magery, ZERO), but will grudgingly add four from the gift, for infectious strike *growls unhappily*

My question is this: Is the 15 mana required for that move based on one's combat skill level, or will it remain the same, no matter what? Is there any way to decrease that mana cost, on a non-mage, non-Paladin, non-template sort of character?

Also...I am now being told that I need Focus, to regain the stupid mana that I don't want in the first place. Is this true? And, if so...what would be the absolute minimum level of focus to be effective for me? I dun use any of that fancy stuff like meditation or whatever...and the skills that I presently have, I USE, and am loathe to give up. *grits teeth*

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way I know of to reduce the mana cost of Infectious Strike is through the Poisoning skill. You reduce the cost by 1 per 10 points of Poisoning. You will regain mana without the Focus or Meditation skills, but it will be painfully slow. I think the Focus skill mana/stamina regen bonus goes in blocks of 20 skill points (I'd have to double-check that), so theoretically 20 points is enough to see a difference. However most people I know bring Focus to about 80 if they aren't GMing it. It'd probably help if we knew your template and what skills you didn't want to drop... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Just for reference sake, here is my Fencers template...

Fencing 110
Anatomy 110
Tactics 110
Healing 100
Poisoning 100
Magery 100
Focus 80

Strength 80
Dexterity 100
Intelligence 50
(extra 5 is from AOS reward)

I've still got 10 vet points too, but I'm not sure what to do with them. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

S

Salt FoamBreaker

I would bring up the int to defend against Mind Blast, as I understand it with those stats the spell hits for 57 per hit. But I am not 100% clear headed on the MB calc so wait till someone says I am wrong or right/php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

D

Dor of Sonoma

*laughs*

Well, uhh...in over five years, I have never used a template. Ever. So, umm...don't laugh, but here are her present skills, all of which she actively uses:

102 Tailoring (or thereabouts...I am least attached to this skill)
Master Hiding
Master Tactics
85 Tracking (yes, I use it :p)
82 Anatomy
82 Healing (I ressed a player this week!!! First time EVER! YAAAAY)
76-something Fencing (want to GM it)
73-something Parry
38 Swords (dropping for the fencing)

J

Jar_jar_binks

85 tracking? aint you noticed 20.1% tracking never fails?

D

Dor of Sonoma

Perhaps for tracking players...but as a solo hunter, I have bigger fish to fry--and those only show up on a sliding scale.

I generally like to be as informed as possible in the wild, what with zero magery, resist, and so forth. It's a very valuable tool, for me.

Oh, and Salt...I won't knuckle under to spellcasting blackmail by raising my intelligence...ugh! If they want to MB me, so be it. I don't have that much of a mind to blast to begin with *grins*

*drools absently*

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing about fencing is that half the weapons have Infectious Strike as one of the special moves, and you not only have to poison them for it to be able to be used, you need mana (int) to use them. Having to get someone else to poison your weapons can be a pain. also, Poisoning is probably the longest and most mind-numbingly boring skill to raise, not to mention expensive. If you're only half interested in using Infectious Strike, you probably don't want to commit the time, gold and carpal tunnel required to GM Poisoning. Let's see what we can do here...

Fencing 100
Anatomy 100
Tactics 100
Healing 100
Parry 100
Hiding 100
Tracking 20.1 (you really only need more tracking than that)

That'll give you anywhere between 79.9 to 99.9 skill points to play with. How do you get around with no Magery or Chivalry? If walking is your thing, then it doesn't matter, but you could throw some Chivalry in there (but Chivalry doesn't really fit with a character that uses poison). You could also throw 80 or so Poisoning in there, and/or scroll out some skills, and /or throw magery in there... It also depends heavily on what you want to do in-game with this character... PvM or PvP. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

S

Smithfiend

Sounds like a character you would find on Siege hehe. Come duel my tailoring fencer of death! I always plan out my temps before i make a char, perhaps the game would be more exciting if I didn't........I gave up on pure warriors after AOS, dropped my 115 macing for archery and started up chivalry. You've gotta love 200 damage to AOL's with an ogre slaying bow!

D

Dor of Sonoma

Thanks, but that wouldn't work for me. :)

You see, I USE my Tracking. All of it.

I don't need GM Hiding on this Dor...Master is fine.

I don't need GM Anatomy or healing, either...just enough to get by

Not sure about GMing Parry again...seems pretty ineffective to me now, as I refuse to play the Item Game *shrugs*

Tactics...hrmm.

I can't use Chivalry (no AoS), am absolutely disinterested in Magery (yes, I do walk everywhere), and I happen to know someone who can poison my weapons.

As for what I want to do ingame, well...be Dor, master of my own fate (hence my GM Running, which I forgot to list earlier) *grins*

G

I envy the way Dor plays UO, she plays as how its ment to be played.

Not how many others do, she plays for the pure fun of it and the community, she doesnt worry about her skills and when shes going to get that nice shiny doom artifact or that l337 +20/25 power scroll.

But I never knew you had 85 tracking Dor, sheesh /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

S

sallie

yep, you do need focus now... sounds like you're in my situation...
just want the basic skills and the heck with them fancy shamancy skills.. But sorry to say, UO has changed....i still have my GM asassin..got her locked in the closet..only bring her out to make potions..she is a GM alchemist also.....her 95 swords are just about worthless.

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's just what I was thinking, she looks like a character made for Siege. That's one of the reasons that I like Siege. Traditional production shard templates aren't really practical for Siege, as you have to rely on yourself more, and other players. It reminds me alot of when I first started playing UO... Anyhow, Dor you should just do what makes you happy... though I think we managed to answer the questions you did ask at least. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

S

Salt FoamBreaker

HAR Thats the spirit, I will never give up me GM Fishing as well.

S

ShotgunGenny

<blockquote><hr>

I would bring up the int to defend against Mind Blast, as I understand it with those stats the spell hits for 57 per hit. But I am not 100% clear headed on the MB calc so wait till someone says I am wrong or right

<hr></blockquote>

MB damage is no longer based on the enemy's stats. It's just like any other damaging spell (ie: EB, explode, etc) and its cold damage. Little tip on that spell too.. the more int the caster has, the more damage dealt.

C

Cosis

Yeah the focus addition really hurt stealthers/assasins the most. Tough call.

S

Saharah

"76-something Fencing (want to GM it) "

Get after those Pallies in Delucia woman! You'll GM in no time! =P