• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] I am starting to feel like a complete idiot now ...

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... like someone sold me a piece of desert ...

FAQ Friday #5 - 11/05/10 | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online

Fish Monger Reputation
soulstoner

Q -

•How does the reputation work with the Fish Monger quests?
•Will there be a way to view one's reputation?
•How much is lost by dropping a quest?
Shade:

•You gain reputation by completing orders. The more orders you complete, the better chance that when a fishmonger has a big order, they will give the business to you. The maximum possible quantity requested for any line item is 20. The maximum number of line items is 6. This means, that the largest possible order can contain 120 fish. The rewards change with the size of the order. Some rewards are exclusive to certain order size brackets.
•As in life, your reputation with the fishmongers is not quantifiable in a single number like a stat. If you want to see how good your reputation is, see how many big orders you have in your hold.
•If you drop a fishmonger quest, you drop a reputation level on each of the fish in the order. If you have a quest for 10 haddock and you drop the quest, the next time a fish monger asks you for haddock you will be asked for 5. It can never go lower than 5. The quantity levels are 5, 10, 15, 20 but you start at 10. There is no other penalty, so don’t worry if you have to dump your orders to dry dock you ship. However, know that being fickle will hurt your reputation in UO as it does in life.
High Seas Fishing Related Questions
Tancred Redstar

Q -

•How do players get/find 120 Fishing powerscrolls?
◦Messana: This is currently being reviewed.
•What are the odds of an MiB yielding an ancient SoS?
◦Messana: 4% chance
Besides the fact I do like the Monger Quests and certainly did enjoy the whole adventure sofar (well crab fishing I don't like much).
It kinda feels now that from the start there was little to no chance to a 120 scroll.

I pitty the ones who dared to raise the subject and got thier behinds flamed to death.

I did over 400 quests now, and ofcourse besides the adventure of this I did hope to advance in my chances for a better scroll.

Now I wonder, if I had knew what was stated above from the start or a week ago ... would I have stockpiled my fish until all was sorted out.
Now it feels I wasted tons of fish to a near hopeless cause.

Now I know I have done this to myself.
Maybe if I was smarter I should have seen this comming and adjusted earlier.
I did truely believe we still on a big adventure sorting all out with fellow fishermen to put the pieces together.
Like with the new seeds back then, it was a blast that all together posted little pieces of the puzzle to document the new phenomena.
I didn't have to do this ... I didn't have to fish ... I know ...
But is was part of the new booster I was really exited about and I jumped into this adventure.
I mean this is why it is in game no ?

I posted my part and was very optimistic until now.
Maybe I am smarter now, I wil finish the crates in my ship and wait for further developments.
I will keep fishing ofcourse, but stock my fish till it feels like all is sorted out and I an not just stocking baits and books.
I hope one convince me now I am not a idiot for doing all these quests with the hope one day ...

I cannot help it, but somehow I feel very very silly now for being enthousiastic and going for the big prize, and this makes me sad :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Odds are, what happened was that the chance for the 120 was there before the change that made dungeon fish only at 106+, but those changes accidentally removed the chance of a 120 spawning (and made 110s very rare). They are now trying to figure out what to do to fix that unintended consequence of their changes.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also how about the 115 scrolls ?
No mention of that anywhere ... I have a feeling those are "borked"? too.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the most of us fishers it probably would be a start to lower the requirements for dungeon fishes to 105. (It is rare to get a 110 from dungeon fish deliverys but as we heard from Umfufu it is possible.) There might me further, yet unknown restrictions for getting 115's and 120's. Maybe a fishing order to turn in specific rare fishes?

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
actually, you performed a very valuable service so don't feel too bad - we were all using you as the guinea pig to see if it was worth the time and effort to keep doing quests - as you progressed, it became acutely obvious that it wasn't worth it and thereby you saved me a ton of time and mouse clicks doing stupid stuff - thank you very much - it was becoming very clear that they would change it to make it easier after it became apparent that you had to get 12 +10 powerscrolls to make a +15 using a scroll binder - something that noone was ever going to bother doing - which meant that they had to revisit the code that made it too hard to get powerscrolls - so you saved all of the rest of us alot of work - true, you did get screwedl, but someone had to in order for them to fix it (I'm just glad it wasn't me - hehe)

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually, you performed a very valuable service so don't feel too bad - we were all using you as the guinea pig to see if it was worth the time and effort to keep doing quests - as you progressed, it became acutely obvious that it wasn't worth it and thereby you saved me a ton of time and mouse clicks doing stupid stuff - thank you very much - it was becoming very clear that they would change it to make it easier after it became apparent that you had to get 12 +10 powerscrolls to make a +15 using a scroll binder - something that noone was ever going to bother doing - which meant that they had to revisit the code that made it too hard to get powerscrolls - so you saved all of the rest of us alot of work - true, you did get screwedl, but someone had to in order for them to fix it (I'm just glad it wasn't me - hehe)
Thanks so much Kojak for putting a big smile on my face :D

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
still... we can farm several thousand of fish so when the problem is fixed we will be able to complete hundreds of quest in a row. Collecting a thounsand of crab will not be so easy, but we have time :D

B

B_Barracuda

i understand your frustration. however, it is your own fault, at least partially. i soon noticed that fishing powerscrolls are insanely rare and i figured that this must be some kind of bug, or at least didn't work as designed. so i stopped doing quests completely and collected fish instead. now it looks like the devs are looking into it and the system will be tweaked.

honestly, if you continue doing something that is so little worthwhile although it is obvious that it is flawed, you do not have the right to complain afterwards.

it is always the same with expansions: bugs do happen, things go wrong, and if you feel that some new content is bugged, do something else meanwhile until it is fixed. the fix will come, but some things take a while to be corrected.

i thank you very much though, umfufu, cause you helped me to make the decision stopping with the fishing quests by publishing your experience. you did a great service for the community.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try to not feel so bad about it. It's not your fault that the code may be busted. Tons of players were having problems obtaining powerscrolls and we just didn't know if the devs intended it to be this hard or not. You gave it your best and that's all you can do. :)

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i understand your frustration. however, it is your own fault, at least partially. i soon noticed that fishing powerscrolls are insanely rare and i figured that this must be some kind of bug, or at least didn't work as designed. so i stopped doing quests completely and collected fish instead. now it looks like the devs are looking into it and the system will be tweaked.

honestly, if you continue doing something that is so little worthwhile although it is obvious that it is flawed, you do not have the right to complain afterwards.
Yes and no ...
True I did it myself, but until now I did not feel it was so bad ... yes I did have a few down moments ... and yes past 3-4 days I was getting frustrated, but that was because every day I got 20-30-40 request for Snow Crabs, and it took me literarly 4-6 hours at least a day just to get the Snow Crab alone ... but I blamed this on the Crab Fishing and not the Monger Quests.

Now I wrote down the numbers of the Quests when I recieved a PS.
I will show you the history:
Upto Quest 54 was nothing and there was announced the drops of the 105 scrolls has been tweaked and they also change the Dungeon Fish to 106 if I am not mistaken. So after this Tweak:

Quest 61, 64, 84, 104 4x 105 PS
I eat the first 105 PS am happy, I do think it is strange they have set the Dungeon Fish at 106 ... juuuuust out of reach ...
I am hopeful ... seems the tweak worked ... I go on fishing ...
Then I have a long streak of "bad luck" and almost give up on the Quests.
I adjust my manner of Questing, slow down abit and fish more for fun.
It takes 148 Quest to see the next scroll.

Quest 252, 315 2x 105 PS Publish 63.3 kicks in .. again is announced PS is tweaked ...
Quests 316, 324, 339 3 x 105 PS Omg ... I have enough to bind to 110 PS !! I take a few days to skill up and also do my MiB's
Quests 347, 354 2x 105 PS Wow, the tweak is working 148 Quest and I see nothing, now like 5 within 40 Quests
Quest 369 110 PS Woohoo am happy ... 6 liner, 4 lines Dungeon Fish 115 fish total

At this point I am still hopeful, the scrolls are "pouring" in and I even get a 110, they are out there ... a little disturbing is the fact that it feels like you need 110 to get one. I also get 2x 100 Baits I have never seen before Blue Marlin and Giant Samurai Fish.
I am starting to wonder where the 115 and 120 will fit in ...

Quests 373, 401, 402, 408 4x 105 PS

Atm ... I have done 417 Quests and have 2 crates still in my hold of which one 20 Snow Crab ... again ... gaaaaaah ... I take a breather .. am tired of Snow Crab fishing ...

So you see ... I kept getting enough to keep hopeful, the 2 tweaks seemed working ... it wasn't so much the Monger Quests frustrating me but the crab fishing.
Upto the announcement today I truely believed we just didn't know everything yet and were still as players in the process of gathering data to understand this whole thing ...
Hence my posts.

Now I do not know when people say I did a good thing and helped them NOT to do the Quests I should feel happy, ofcourse I posted to motivate, not demotivate, so it sound a bit wrong to me ...
I didn't wish to put people off, the opposite I tried to post ... more in the trend like ... it CAN happen ... the scrolls ARE out there ...

But this announcement felt like shattering my illusion or something like this ...
I hope you can understand this.

I stay hopeful they will adjust all soon so we all are happy ...
But for now I finsih the 2 I have, fish on and stock up like said above and try out other new adventures meanwhile.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hay Umfufu we all in the same boat.. no one knew how to or why. but its when we all get together here and toss ideas around see what we turning in and what we get to try to figure out the madness.to get the devs to finally look at whats going on..Fishing is probably the lowest used skill in game next to begging till high seas came up. i say thet cause even now i never see anyone in the waters or not enough peeps to say wow lotsa peeps out here today.so the peeps that do enjoy fishing still do.. im like you im going to finish up my quest and just stockpile till devs say here how it is the points system if there really was one. reputation is now out. go figure.. heheh and how to attain the scrolls. i thought it was funny when imbueing came out it sure was easy to get your scrolls no spawns just turn in items you used anyways to obtain them sorta figured they was going to do the same for fishing..turn in 20 yellow barracuda for the 105, turn in what ever to get the 110 so forth and so on. but we went forth with no clue, nothing set,and went numb trying to figure out what it was when it was nothing expect RNG doing its thing. i thank you for your post,you were the forefront leader here who had gotten as far as you did and posted for all to see and to add thier own finds. anyhoo enough rambling Crabbing to do :party:

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too much clicks for lobster fishing. This ruin most quests for me.
Why 2 facing for traps?
Why extra click on full trap (not stackable) to empty it? Make it to click on buoy to take trap and auto empty it.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the last publish change, we have been getting more 105 ps, but not enough to bind one to a 110. In the meantime, we keep fishing and crabbing, and crabbing and crabbing. As far as the reputation goes, I have never dropped a quest, and my fishing is maxed at the 105 for now. The thing that gets me, is the higher my reputation seems to get, and the more skill I get..... the more flipping lobster and crab trapping I get too!!! I used to get quests for deep sea fish. Yay fine and dandy with me. But now with higher skill and reputation, my quests are simply for more and more and more of the stinking crabs!!! And for the fish, well I need to do most of my fishing for the shallow ones.

You would think the higher your skill/reputation, you would at least be able to move onto something other than crabs and shallow water fish. I mean how many orders for 20 snow crab and spiney lobsters can you get in a row? Well I do know it is at least 6!!!! It takes forever to come up with 120 flipping snow crabs in a row. So I can only imagine what Umfufu has gone thru! It is very tedious, but yet the hope is always still out there that maybe you can at last get a scroll and get past some of the crabs.

I sure hope the devs really look into the whole fishing scenerio. I would also love to see the devs trying to catch 120 snow crabs and 120 spiney lobsters in a row. Can that really be the RNG to have that bad of luck? To top it off, still no 110PS. On average I lay out 40 lobster traps at a time, I pick em up, out of those, 16-19 traps are empty. From there, close to 15 of the 21 traps that are left, have nothing but plain crab or plain lobster, which leaves me maybe 5-8 usable crab or lobster out of 40 traps. Out of the 5-8 usable crab/lobster, I get maybe if I am super lucky 1 single snow crab. But only if I am super lucky. Gee only 119 more snows to go. Ditto for the spiney lobsters.

So I'm with you Umfufu, I think I will put all my orders on hold for now too. Maybe try some more sport fishing, for the fun of it. I am over the quests, until something is said or decided on it. The rest of the snow crab / spiney lobster crates can just sit in the hold for now.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello All,

I would really like to thank you all much for your kind replies.
I think I really needed it at this time ... I feel much better now!
You guys remind me again why I love UO so much, the people I encounter in The Profession Forums all are such a sweet folk.

SashaSeeks, I love your term Sports Fishing ... that is exactly what I am doing again ...
I am trying to catch some of the rare fish I do not have and every now and then when I grown the gutts again I do an hours inbetween for crab fishing.
I still not have the 20 Snow Crab for this last crate I need to finish.
And I do wish to make new stock for when the Quests get adjusted.

Again thanks all for putting a smile back on my face.

:heart: Umfufu

D

Destiny<3

I agree about all the lobster and crab fishing, it is time consuming. Occasionally I'll switch to sos to break up the monotony :)

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am actually more concerned about another part of the publish notes.

•If you drop a fishmonger quest, you drop a reputation level on each of the fish in the order. If you have a quest for 10 haddock and you drop the quest, the next time a fish monger asks you for haddock you will be asked for 5. It can never go lower than 5. The quantity levels are 5, 10, 15, 20 but you start at 10. There is no other penalty, so don’t worry if you have to dump your orders to dry dock you ship. However, know that being fickle will hurt your reputation in UO as it does in life.
To me that means, that you get benefits, if you decline orders for crabs/lobsters. If you keep dropping those orders, it means that the mongers will request for less of that same crab/lobster next time. At one point of my questing, I was too tired to fill 1-liners for crabs (got two of them in a rwo and declined both.) Now there is a saying that it is more like an advantage, if you decline those.

Funny thing about the whole notes are, that Meseanna mentioned 120 fishing scrolls while we are only talking about 105's and 110's atm. (With the exception of Umfufu, who needs a 115 to improve his fishing.)

Personally I went another way. I have 0/8 105's that would be needed to bind a 110. I have slowed down a lot with questing. I have done 183 quests and got a total of 7 105's. (I know, some ppl will hate me for that rate.) I read one, gave 2 away and sold the others. (I usually play on low budget and i wanted to get 'some' powerscrolls + extras to settle on a second/another shard.) My hope with spreading my powerscrolls among the fishers was, that the more ppl are at 105 fishing, the more powerscrolls will show up. My tactic doenst seem to work, there are not more fishing ps available on europa than on any other shard.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Umfufu - a she :D

Well I am not sure declining is an advantage ... this means if you decline a 1 or 2 liner of crabs now ... the next 5-6 liner you get with crabs will never be maxxed out, cause you put youself down on those.

I am thinking ... the way she described this ...
Means when you do a certain fish you start at a quantity of 10 I conclude from this text. Then per fish you work yourself up lvls.
I am wondering if that goes per quest or reputation.
I never payed attention to this. Though I am pretty sure I got lines asking for 5 fish ... am sure I didn't decline those.

In theory ... according to the text ... you could note all fish, and every time you get a line with this fish turf it, and per fish you should only go up in quantity.

Hmmm ... new food for thought ...

G

Gunga_Din

I think you were an idiot. No offense, but after i did 70 quests and no PS I realized for the time involved it was a mindless grind and waste of time. My 2nd love in this game was fishing and since the booster came out, I havent fished after those quests.

You could see the system was either broken or swayed in favor of a mindless grind i've run into playing countless other MMO's.

Infact, I think most people who went over 100 quests were idiots. Sorry for being blunt, but we all should have had them change this system from the beginning.

(1) Making the reputation easier to see
(2) Removing crabs and lobsters from the quests
(3) Setting Bench Marks for the scrolls 105 at 50, 110 at 100, 115 at 150 and 120 at 200 quests.

This is fishing !! No PS for any other skill is this difficult to obtain or understand. The only reason I want 120 fishing is so I can try for each rare fish to collect and get the max weight. This way we can start having events and in game competitions. Thats all i wanted. To work this hard to do just that, is a slap in our faces. I have less than a handful of friends doing the quests now and most have left fishing for other ventures in the game.

If I tried to run some fishing events now, I don't think many would care because they either got fed up or moved on.

So, because some of you followed the carrot like idiots, the devs continued to bs you and nothing was done to make the fishing quests more enjoyable, the system more straightforward, or the chance of getting PS's easier.

P.S. I felt like an idiot after 70 quests. So, I'm an idiot too.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No PS for any other skill is this difficult to obtain or understand.
Anyone else remembers when smithy-ps got introduced? How long it took with only 1 smith and one bod every 6 hours to get a lbod and the fitting sbods for the 120 ps?

G

Gunga_Din

Good pt and something to have learned from, But people also used multiple accts and smiths to get the bods. And there were a lot more people with a smith than a fisherman.

So....suck an egg lol

B

B_Barracuda

about the tediousness of crab fishing...

i'm not so sure that it is really more difficult than normal fishing. if you build up a high enough supply of crabs (without doing quests), say 150 of each, you should be able to do the quests rather quickly. example:

a quest requires you to catch 20 stone crab and 20 king crab. you go out, fish up 40 or more random crabs (regular crabs do not count since they are not quest items), dump them into your crab container, take out the 20 stone and 20 king crab and finish the quest.

fishing up 40 crabs may take you 1-2 hours only. you will have a temporary shortage on stone and king crab, but thanks to your stock that isn't a problem. in the process of questing you should always have a steadily growing, almost equal amount of all crabs in your container. and you'll never run into the problem of having to fish up 20 snow crab for a single quest.

unless you are extremely unlucky and get the same quests 8 times in a row. but how low is the chance that this happens?

that's the way i will do it (once the quests are fixed) with fish, crab and lobster. i am already working on building my stock.

it is even easier if you find other fishermen who use the same stock. this way it will build up faster.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunatly I cannot say I have been that lucky.
Until I stopped I was short Snow Crabs for almost 2 weeks, those and Blue Crabs.
But daily I got 20-40 requests for these Snow Crabs, meaning I had ot go out every day to supply myself with these.

I have an average of 150+ of each crab on stock atm, except the Snow (2),
Blue Crab (54) ...

I have been so unlucky then with crab fishing, because I can recall at least 2 occaisions thet it took me 3 to 4 hours just to fill an order of 20 Snow Crab.
I am really not kidding when I recall home to unload my backpack having 4 Snow Crab was a very good run.

I note that I had 10 traps out at a time.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think if you have an order in your boat then you get less of that item. best to crab/lobster fish when you have no orders and stock up.

Interesting is the reputation level on each fish.
I have 2 orders in my hold - 10 yellow perch and another 15 yellow perch.

another 2 orders are 10 cape cod and one is 15 cape cod.

I am sure my last batch i turned in either 10 or 15 yellow perch so this doesnt make whole sense

unless if you currently have an order of 15 and get a 2nd order of same fish then perhaps it always downgrades it 1 level?

Lorddog

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I just got a 105 a few days ago. Wasn't counting quests but it was alot. I estimate approaching 100. Sounds like its time to hoard fish and stop the quests for awhile....

T

Tancred RedStar

Soon as I got the 105 scroll(and used it), I stopped doing quests til my skill is up to 105(and the devs get this whole reward system either figured out and/or explained). I find it incredulous there are so many pzt people and theyve said hardly a word about it in weeks.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, Snow crabs, still need about 80, those and spiney lobsters. Have tons of blue crabs and others. Trade out with others, but unfortuneatley they need snow crabs also. So that approach is no longer working. Even went so far at one time, to finish all quests, zero quests, and crabbed and lobstered, still did not catch any snows to speak of, still caught tons of blues and dungeons. So ya, some of us do seem to be THAT unlucky.

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont know how many quest i have done. I have got 15 +5s ps. I did 15 quest last night and got 2 +5ps. I never get an order for 5 of one type of fish/crab. I only have one quest in my hold at a time.

When I got to 106 I started getting the dungeon fish orders. I got an order recalled right away to another town and got another order that called for the same dungeon fish but only called for 5. I knew 100% that I didnt cancel/refuse any quest, I just started doing dungeon and this was like my 4th one.

Now since I got an order for 5 of one type does this mean I went down a rep level for every fish in the 1st quest?
I started doing them one at a time after this and now I never get a quest for that calls for 5 of one type. I dont think my rep level is very high because I still get small orders, one or two lines.
I started keeping track of all my quest. The other day I counted and in 70 quest I only got 2 books. Today in 14 quest I got 4 books and no ps. I dont think Im doing it right, but I think something is wrong with getting an order for 5 of one type when you never quit, cancel or refuse.

Anyone have any ideas?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From newest 5 o' friday:

Q: Why is it impossible to get any Fishing Power Scroll’s over 105?

Mesanna: We are making adjustments to the fishing quests so you should be able to obtain Fishing Scrolls over 105.
Somehow i feel, that we were right, claiming that you need a 110 ps before you can get one from the fishmongers. :/

M

MonkeyDLuffy

Hello All,

I would really like to thank you all much for your kind replies.
I think I really needed it at this time ... I feel much better now!
You guys remind me again why I love UO so much, the people I encounter in The Profession Forums all are such a sweet folk.

SashaSeeks, I love your term Sports Fishing ... that is exactly what I am doing again ...
I am trying to catch some of the rare fish I do not have and every now and then when I grown the gutts again I do an hours inbetween for crab fishing.
I still not have the 20 Snow Crab for this last crate I need to finish.
And I do wish to make new stock for when the Quests get adjusted.

Again thanks all for putting a smile back on my face.

:heart: Umfufu
I agreed that the lobster cage is a pain. I have posted on UHall while back with my suggestion.

* Auto retrieve lobster cage at higher fishing level

and i WANT to be able to see my ranking with the Fishing Consulate !! It should be able to display in the char title !! I want my hard work to be "displayed"