• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] I am impressed with Ele Hunting

J

Jermosh

So I took off Resist and added mining to my ABC archer. I have to say I am impressed with the amount of colored ingots you get, plus I get black-rock as well from the Eles. I saw something weird last night though in that I started to mine in TelMur, the only issue is there are no caves so its all mountain mining, meaning I can deplete in a few hit. But I got a ele every 2-3 mins. I then tried Trammel in a cave and got more ore but a lot less Ele's.

Anyone else see this? Any tips on a Ele hunter? Like how to find Garg Picks?

G

Gelf

garg picks u can get from reg garg mobs(special loot) or as a low end reward from turning in smithy bods

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Any of the Gargoyle Monsters (As opposed to NPCs) can have a garg pick as loot.

Specifically, the Prospector Tools & Gargoyle Pickaxes can be gotten from Exceptional iron small BODs, exceptional 10 & 15 count Dull Copper smalls (with a 20% chance of Powder of Fortification as well), some Iron Large BODs, and a wide range of colored normal small BODs (shadow 20, I think, up to 15 count gold).

Cycling through junk small BODs for new BODs is an excellent way of getting picks. Using the Prospector Tool after the first garg pick swing will increase the number of elementals, but at the expense of eliminating dull copper from your harvesting...

J

Jermosh

Ahh cool I did not know about the prospecter trick. Looks like I am going to be getting a lot of Shadow Iron.

F

Fink

If you're after shadow ore, you can get a lot from hunting orc brutes. The best spot is in the back of the orc caves as you can lead off the unwanted spawn and also use the forge there for smelting. Don't use archery on orc brutes though, they'll hurl other orcs at you.

Thanks for the post on ore elementals, I'm kitting up to go hunt them myself.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And, guys, when the normal ones get boring, try going to the mushroom cave (the entrance to the Twisted Weald) and mine for paragon ore eles in Ilshenar... IT's a hoot, especially if you get a Valorite paragon (though val paragons are best done mountainside mining, so that if it is too much for you, you can get it to go play with the Meer or the spawn at Oaks).

S

Stupid Miner

garg picks u can get from reg garg mobs(special loot) or as a low end reward from turning in smithy bods
They're a bit too rare to be worthwhile obtaining that way in my opinion. Then again i last hunted gargoyles years ago, so 1 hit kills will make a difference in perceived spawn rate.

If you're after shadow ore, you can get a lot from hunting orc brutes. The best spot is in the back of the orc caves as you can lead off the unwanted spawn and also use the forge there for smelting. Don't use archery on orc brutes though, they'll hurl other orcs at you.

Thanks for the post on ore elementals, I'm kitting up to go hunt them myself.
Better spot in my opinion is Yomotsu Mines, near the back there're a couple shadow ore ele spawns, lure away any nearby Yomotsu and you'll get the same 25 shadow ore + any blackrock they drop. Not to mention they're easier to kill (unless you're a mage). Note: Earth Ele slayers *don't* work on them anymore for some reason.

G

Gowron

An added benefit of hunting gargs for pickaxes is that they also drop gems which support imbuing...food for thought.

N

Nastia Cross

An added benefit of hunting gargs for pickaxes is that they also drop gems which support imbuing...food for thought.
Good point. Also if you have your GM miner read the mining for gems book obtained in Ter Mur your miner will also get regular gems in addition to ore (as long as you set your pickaxe to harvest them). It well worth it.

Jermosh, if you don't have a smith or don't feel like doing bods, my advice would be to hook up with a smith that regularly does bods. As Basara said:
Cycling through junk small BODs for new BODs is an excellent way of getting picks.
I personally try to do at least one cycle of bods per night and usually end up with a small supply of Prospector's Tools and Garg Pickaxes, which I promptly give back to the smith NPC. Ask around on your shard forum and see if anyone would be willing to pass them along to you. If you're on Chesapeake, let me know, I'll let you have mine.

K

Kallie Pigeon

They're a bit too rare to be worthwhile obtaining that way in my opinion. Then again i last hunted gargoyles years ago, so 1 hit kills will make a difference in perceived spawn rate.

Better spot in my opinion is Yomotsu Mines, near the back there're a couple shadow ore ele spawns, lure away any nearby Yomotsu and you'll get the same 25 shadow ore + any blackrock they drop. Not to mention they're easier to kill (unless you're a mage). Note: Earth Ele slayers *don't* work on them anymore for some reason.
Hmmm that's odd, maybe it's just the natural spawning variety that earth elemental slayers don't work on. This past weekend I was killing shadow elementals in one or two hits with my smith/miner using an earth elemental slayer.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Many years ago, before overland spawn was reduced, there were several of the ore ele types that were naturally spawning. These were actually coded different than the garg pick varieties, and as a result the Earth elemental slayer didn't work - only the Elemental slayer. These were the Dull Copper (which still don't spawn from Garg picks, and may or may not have been fixed in relation to the Earth ele slayer - promises were made, but...), Verite, and one or two others. IT could be that the Yomotsu Mines Shadow eles are of that type.

I wouldn't know, personally, as my miner usually uses a Blackthorne's Kryss elemental slayer version - but will probably switch to an Earth Ele slayer with the "minors do triple" change, once I actually make one worth using.

K

Kallie Pigeon

Many years ago, before overland spawn was reduced, there were several of the ore ele types that were naturally spawning. These were actually coded different than the garg pick varieties, and as a result the Earth elemental slayer didn't work - only the Elemental slayer. These were the Dull Copper (which still don't spawn from Garg picks, and may or may not have been fixed in relation to the Earth ele slayer - promises were made, but...), Verite, and one or two others. IT could be that the Yomotsu Mines Shadow eles are of that type.

I wouldn't know, personally, as my miner usually uses a Blackthorne's Kryss elemental slayer version - but will probably switch to an Earth Ele slayer with the "minors do triple" change, once I actually make one worth using.
I like the change cause now I can kill the shadows without worrying at all about my blue beetle getting killed. Haven't tried the coppers or bronzes yet but will shortly.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember that the Coppers have the same damage reflect property as the Valorites (or more accurately, the Valorites, as a combination of all the lesser types, has the Copper's ability). And, since their resists are so low, they reflect even more damage than the Valorites. Make sure you have ranged attacks or a lot of HP, before using an Earth ele slayer on one.

K

Kallie Pigeon

Remember that the Coppers have the same damage reflect property as the Valorites (or more accurately, the Valorites, as a combination of all the lesser types, has the Copper's ability). And, since their resists are so low, they reflect even more damage than the Valorites. Make sure you have ranged attacks or a lot of HP, before using an Earth ele slayer on one.
Thanks for the warning. I will put my beetle in a safe place before I try and beef up my hitpoints as much as I can before trying it. Too bad you can't mine while riding.

J

Jermosh

This, you would not want to one shot Coppers, I can kill them in 2-3 hits and I had a sliver of red left before I relized what was happening.

J

Jermosh

Good point. Also if you have your GM miner read the mining for gems book obtained in Ter Mur your miner will also get regular gems in addition to ore (as long as you set your pickaxe to harvest them). It well worth it.

Jermosh, if you don't have a smith or don't feel like doing bods, my advice would be to hook up with a smith that regularly does bods. As Basara said: I personally try to do at least one cycle of bods per night and usually end up with a small supply of Prospector's Tools and Garg Pickaxes, which I promptly give back to the smith NPC. Ask around on your shard forum and see if anyone would be willing to pass them along to you. If you're on Chesapeake, let me know, I'll let you have mine.
I have a smithy and I do some of the bods, I am a real casual player though, so I have a small pile of bods. I will ask around though, sometimes I find bags of them in the banks.