• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hunting the Bear, Part One - January 26th @9pm EST

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the dark.

Ilseda stood at her window peering out into the moonlit forest. The house fought back the winter chill, but only barely. A fire once roared in the far end, however it had been reduced to dull warm coals through neglect.

The forest looked dark and foreboding and made her uneasy inside, he had been gone too long. The snow reflected the moonlight making the ground glow in an eery sort of manner reminiscent of grave stones.

Ilseda awaited her husband, he had gone for firewood hours ago and to check his traps. She was cold and hungry but the tug at her heart at his absence made both irrelevant.

Times were hard, especially in the outlying areas where merchants feared to go. The lands had begun to fragment into their townships and spheres of self interest. Such a thing left families in between the cities and those that lived in the outskirts wholly on their own and in peril.

The woods and dark places of the world had begun to fill with thieves, bandits and worse. Towns were dangerous and at times lawless, which made the places between them little more than Anarchy. Ilseda had begged her husband Traeu to shutter their small ranch outside of Yew and move to an area closer to the protection of the town guards.

"My family has lived on this land since my great great grandfather settled it, Ill not leave it because people in the cities cannot get along." Traeu had growled at her, the issue bothered him greatly. He had been born on this land and Ilseda knew he aimed to die here if it ever came to that.

Ilseda was childless and had only her loneliness to comfort her in her husbands absence. She loved her husband, he was a good man. She had married young to a hard working and honest man. He had his faults but none were any more than petty annoyances. They lived a good life and were left alone for the most part.

The animals had been shut away for the winter and the snow lay thick over their fields.

"Where are you?" She muttered half to her self. Her worry grew with every moment. Her breath pasted the window with an ominous fog that she continuously wiped away with her sleeve.

Ilseda shivered and closed her eyes, the night had gotten far too late and the moon was high in the skies. The cold of the house had gotten between her skirts but there was no firewood to revive the fire. The wood was on the far end of the field and Traeu had taken the warm cloak with him.

"Surely he had time to check all his traps already." She thought in her mind and wondered how long it would take her to run across the field and grab firewood herself. The cold bit at her and closing her eyes in exhaustion had only made it worse.

Outside she heard a low moan and slapping at the wall under the window. Ilseda screamed as the slapping and fumbling on the other side of the wall from her worked its way quickly up the wall to the window to reveal her husbands face... or most of it.

The visage pressed against the window leaving blood and carnage across the pane. Her husband screamed at her in a low guttural sort of howl that was not coherent. Then he was pulled away by something, something in the dark that contrasted totally against the white snow and left a bloody trail into the forest as it carried Traeu with it.

Ilseda stood motionless. Outside was certain death, inside only delayed it. Could she hide? Could she fight? Running was not an option.

Clawing at the door. Not innocent scratching of a dog wanting warmth. This was an aggressive massive form which now slammed itself into the door. Once. Twice. Then a terrible third as the door gave way and a rush of cold air flooded the house.

The doorway was far from empty, a blackened form with dark eyes stepped into the room. He was massive and walked on all fours, his claws seemed pearl white against the black fur. A dire bear, larger than anything she had ever seen.

The bear circled her in her own house, judging her reaction. She stood staring at it, she dared not run. She knew better. He moved with a sort of intelligence his eyes darting from her to around the house, looking for others? He stopped his circle opposite the doorway he had come from and at her back.

A second came, slightly smaller this one the female. A mated pair. The female bore signs of a fight, one she had won. A crimson sort of gore covered her maw and front flaws which left its mark on the floor of the ancient cabin.

Ilseda then remembered the spear, the hunting spear above the fireplace. She lunged for it, catching it enough to knock it from its pegs. Her grasp cut short by the male he then pinned her to the floor.

Ilseda looked over into the eyes of the female as she approached, the eyes... the eyes were not animal but intelligent, were they human?

Ilseda's thoughts ran wild and her voice cracked as she wept into her own words.

"W... what are you? Please... Please let me go." She looked into the eyes of the female begging for her life.

She had chosen the wrong of the pair to make her plea. Her last words chosen and spoken, Ilseda's last sight was that of a bloody bear claw and a dark animistic smile.

Hunting the Bear, Part One - January 26th @9pm EST
Meet in the Hall of the Silver Serpent, gates will be provided.

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Gah, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up reading that!

Can he tell a story or what (chews nails-looks through every chest for a cannon, catapult, Bazooka -something really large to use as a bear slayer)

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mooses > Bears

*yawns* Sounds like another easy event , with easy monsters and no deaths. I wonder when Bennu will make something that will ACTUALLY kill someone.

;)

Demon Wind

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome story line was going to add my own little version of what my character might have seen and heard but not sure if its allowed. As for

Mooses > Bears

*yawns* Sounds like another easy event , with easy monsters and no deaths. I wonder when Bennu will make something that will ACTUALLY kill someone.

;)
it is not wise to anger the UO Gods, we may get more then we bargined for :)

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome story line was going to add my own little version of what my character might have seen and heard...
Please do.

These little fictions and the events in game are always tired together and feed off your own interaction. Please do not be shy.

The reason I start events running off our own interactions
(even the silly ones) here and other places is to spur more interaction from you and other players :)

Demon Wind

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a cold dark winter's night, the skies littered with stars shimmering like diamonds on a black velvet background. The moon sat like a gold coin smiling upon the world below. The soft sounds of scurring animals upon the snow covered ground and the lone cry of a wolf in the distance as if beckoning her to join him, was all Demon Wind heard as she moved through the darkness of the forest this night.

Demon Wind had left the city in search of solitude away from the drunken men that seemed to litter the streets of most cities these days. She had longed for something tangible to hold on to still hoping that the whispers heard about the destruction of one of the landmarks she had frequently visited were not true, even though she had seen the ashes of Blackthorn's castle in Ilshenar with her own eyes she could still not believe.

Her thoughts were so tied up on this one fact that she almost didn't hear the blood curlding cry of fear that shattered the silence of night. Her horse seemed to had heard it better then she had for it reared up on it's hind legs and batted the air before her before coming to all four once again. The night creatures woke from their sleep and fluttered about as if trying to get further away from a horror beyond belief.

She could feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand as the cry was repeated once more, although a bit more faint then before. She leaned down to hug the neck of her horse before she headed through the darkness to the place she felt the sound came from. She tried hard to calm the urgency in she felt in her heart, somehow she knew that she would be to late.

As she moved through the forest the cloud that had breifly covered the moon move away, and the moon shown bright on the snow. She came to a complete stop as her eyes fell upon the bloodied trail that seemed to block her way. It was not so much the blood that had shocked her to stillnes, it was the human hand that lay in a puddle of blood that had almost frozen her in place. Her eyes darted in all directions as sounds of breaking bone and tearing flesh could be heard and she knew something was feeding upon the a man's corpse.

She dared not move or even breath as she sat there silent for what seemed an eternity. She was finally sent into action as black bear came though the trees, the blood still dripping from between it's teeth. She had only had a brief secound to gaze into the creature's eyes but it was all that it took for her to know she must get away. She shivered fiercely as she spun her horse around and headed through the trees wanting to put some distance between her and the demon she had seen. Her mind searhed far into her memories of long ago told stories when she was young. Stories that had made her have nightmares from time to time.

The eyes of the bear had seems cold, filled with malice and hate, but that was not what had scared her the most. What had scared her was the knowledge of evil that seemed to dwell with in those eyes and the fact that they had seemed human for a slight second. She realized the she had become disoriented in her escape as she broke through the trees into a clearing. In the distance stood a cabin. A sence of forebrooding reached her as she gazed at the shadows on the windows as something moved inside.

She decided to leave knowing the bear was inside and she had no desire to meet it face to face at this point in time. As she was about to turn away she heard the wimpering sound of a woman pleading for her life. She quickly turned back to the cabin her horse taking flight. Just as she neared she heard the swishing sound made as the claws of a bear tore though skin and she knew she was too late. She did not know the people who dwelled in this place but she knew there was nothing she could do for them now. Tears of anger filled her eyes then rolled down her cheek as she wiped them from sight.

She turned and rode away as fast as she could toward the nearest town. Surely someone would help hunt the evil that had shed the blood of their country men. As she had left she could still hear the woman's question in her mind...

"W... what are you?" Those words resonated through the darkness.

The same question bounced around in her own head now as she entered the town; and one more thing seemed to fill her mind, as she had turned to leave the cabin she could have sworn she had heard evil laughter from inside but it could have been her mind playing tricks on her fears.

As a young girl she remembered her grandfather's stories about werewolves and the like. His stories had caused her countless of sleepless nights. Her father had tried to ease her fears and assured her there was no such thing...but now even her fathers words didn't put those fears to rest. There was something in that creatures eyes that made her shudder violently. It was as if the creature had somehow seen through her to her very soul.

A new day dawned as she reached the town but the light of day didn't warm her as it had before there was a smell of death upon the world.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wonderful post Demon Wind... Enjoyed reading it :)

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Crux papa, Crux are coming. I can see them marching! Look Papa, look how fine all the horses and their riders are all dressed in their warriors gear. I will one day be a great Knight like them. (as he starts swooshing the air with his little makeshift wooden sword)

As I look down upon my son, I hold back my fears and tell him he is already a brave lad and quick to learn the ways of a warrior, and then I look up as the first of the Crux Ansata Knights are passing by.

Queen Arya (Knight Lieutenent) thinks to herself and smiles seeing these hard working towns people putting on a show of bravery while holding hay forks and smith hammers, but in their eyes you can tell they are getting very little rest and knowing their winter stores are all but depleted.

If these couple of hours of patrol prior to nightfall can help the towns people of Jhelom take but a small respite from their fears of this seeming approching evil, then I am pleased to have given them this.

With the many stories that have passed through town as of late, they fear hunting in the nearby woods and even farming thier lands in the out lying fields.

Even the animals have a sense of forboding, snorting and jittery, so much so they are falling out of formation.

In the weeks past even the birds have left the fields. Its like an eerie sense of haunting has spread over britainnia

My fellow Knights tire of the exhausting training that we have been through in preparation for this approching storm of evil

What is this that comes our way, I doubt we can hold back many more days

As this thought passes through my mind the little sword swooshing boy gasps and points to the bay

Finally the answers may be forth coming, as I watch a greenish mist approching our town from the water

I need to dispatch a currier and notify Lady Danica of what we have seen here tonight

Demon Wind

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She had arrived at the outskirts of town after riding through the night, the morning air crisp upon her cheeks. She could still hear the screams in her head as she made her way through the streets. Announcing her presence for all that could hear the horses hoofs hitting the cobblestone paths. She searched for a presence of authority to tell her horrible tale to.

Her body ached of battle where there had been none, her senses dulled by the fear that wrapped round her heart. The sound of the woman's last words still vibrated in her mind as did the scream that was cut short by the absence of life. Her gaze locked on the promise of rest in the distance and she guided her mount toward the inn. She would tell them soon she promised herself.

The Innkeeper looked upon her but said not a word, she was sure he could almost read the fear in her eyes. He passed her the key and motion to the staircase and with a slight nob of her head she turned and headed toward the stairs. Just as she reached them a voice soft and sweet, not unlike her mother's had been, was heard. She turned to face the gypsy woman by the door from which the sound had come and stared unsure what it was she had heard. "I'm sorry did you say something?" Her own voice seemed to crack slightly as she spoke.

The woman simply smiled and asked her question once more. "Tis alright lass all I asked was if you are alright, You look like you have seen a ghost." Demon Wind laughed slightly and smiled shaking her head and almost whispered as her voice trembled a bit. " I wish a ghost was all that I had seen last night..." Her voice broke as she finished the sentence which seemed to trouble the women looking at her for she opened her mouth as if to continue the conversation; but exhaustion must have been clearly visible on her face, because she stopped. "You rest we will speak again later I'm sure." With that the gypsy woman went out the door just as quietly as she had entered.

Her mind was so jumbled with thoughts that she questioned nothing simply turned toward the stairs and climbed the promise of rest more tempting at the moment then curiousity of the woman she had met. Entering the room she headed straight for the bed, forgetting her ritual before sleep, she simply fell on the bed and was soon fast asleep.

Outside the Inn the news of the attack was traveling fast the guards all stood ready to defend their post with their lives. Men and woman rushing to and fro some grabbing children at play on the cobblestone roads, while others seemed to be preparing for battle and more. Riders on horseback weapons in hand stood silent, a viable force to be faced. People had gathered to listen to the messenger who had brought the news of the horrific site they had seen in the outskirts of the town Yew.

Through it all She had slept, her sleep troubled by the sounds she had heard the night before, and the eyes of the bear covered in blood. She was awaken from her sleep by the sound of horses riding past the window, the cry of orders being given as they headed toward the town afflicted by death. She quickly gathered her things not thinking and headed for the door. She would join the hunt invitation or not, her mother would have screamed at the sight of her she was sure as she realized what she must look like to those fresh from sleep but that was the last thing she cared about now.

She made her way to the cabin the light of day made it much easier then the night before. They were to look for clues she heard. The clues were all over the place she thought, Blood, body parts bear paw prints claw marks on the door and windowsills. They had not been afraid like normal bears usually are they had been led here for a specific purpose it seemed. She continued her seach though the other cabins surrounding the area evidence visable everywhere of the previous night's terror. She shuddered slightly as she saw the monk's bloody robe on the ground and shook her head sadly.

She followed the hunters to the town of Minoc where it was learned that a man named Rieb Adre was cursed with a deadly affliction. It was also said that he had met a girl from the city of Yew named Tarra Edels the butchers daughter. In Minoc a burnt journal, as if someone wanted to hide what was written within, was found and from what little was read anyone could understand why.

The journal spoke of a bear and the moon, of insatiable hunger, it was almost as if the one writting regretted having met the girl for it spoke of fearing her although he was the one responsible for her change somehow. As more of the journal was read it bacame clear that the man had been cursed to live a life other then human. As she read, she remembered the eyes she had seen that night...eyes filled with hate and evil but also a hint of humanity within them, and in a rush of emotion she realized what she had faced that night in the moonlight.

Werebears, the word seemed to formed on her lips as she continued reading only to learn that the female would be the more vicious of the pair and she wanted to mate. The mere thought, of that, made her shiver. The journal spoke of catacombs and chambers which led them to Yew Crypts.

There was a eerie silence as you approached the crypt but once inside you could almost taste the secret that lay with in. The battle lasted only a short time, for they were merely cubs and the hunters were many. The male and female parents no where to be seen.

She turned away from the crypts headed for the Inn, a feeling of dread filled her as if every movement made was being watched. If the bears had been watching would they follow them into the city to take their revenge for the cubs?

She decided it was a risk she was not willing to take. She would go to Minoc and maybe speak to the gypsys. She had heard tales about them from her grandfather. Maybe the gypsys knew how and why the man had been cursed, maybe they knew of a way to remove the affliction other then death.

All the cities by now had heard the news of the Werebears and their deadly bloody trails. If anyone else died it would not be due to lack of knowledge. If the stories her grandfather had told were true these bears would need a large force for the kill and one bite from the creature would doom them all to their fate.

She decided to stay out of the cities for the most part only going in for supplies...She had join the ranks of the Crux if only in her own mind she would help guard the city with her life. She came across a clearing north of Britain and set up camp. She knew now that even a cabin's walls had not kept the people inside safe. Here she would wait at night and hunt for the creatures by daylight. A fleeting thought as she fell into a watchful asleep, did the creatures change form from werebear to human at will?

In the forest, the animals sensed the evil approaching and scrurried around for safety...a mist was forming in the twilight of night...

Bon Iver

Stratics Veteran
Bon Iver
The sandstone of Luna was just gently brushed with the silver frost of Winter. Inside the Inner Walls, the daily commotion of travelers & merchants alike had dimmed down to an eerie whisper. The bane of Winter had caused all to seek shelter, the biting cold & rationing of food only weakened the ambience.

Footsteps could be heard walking down the ice-covered steps of Luna Bank. The worn & studded boots of a weary Knight Lieutenant had just trekked through the snow, only to return to the path from which they came. Bon Iver had just gone to fetch small artifacts for his museum. Placing his strides inside the already imprinted boot marks in the snow, he made his voyage back home.

Winter had just made it's presence after the Last Harvest. All across the land, farmers & merchants carried out the last haul from the fields, preparing for the most tumultuous time of the year. As Bon Iver walked by the empty store fronts, he could but only keep his mind & remember when those counters were overwhelmed with ripe fruit & vegetables, gifts from the sun. All he had in his pantry was a slab of cured pork, worn broadcloth sacks of dried wheat & grain, a dozen earth-covered potatoes, but in his hand he carried a spellbook.

Being a mage, Bon Iver appreciated the benefits. During the frozen season, he much enjoyed casting the Create Food spell to keep himself stocked & "insulated". Yet he also enjoyed being a mage so that he could use this skill to help & protect civilians. This was the main motive that drove him to join the Knights of the Crux Ansata. Being a knight, for nearly a year and a half, had strengthened him in the mind & in the soul.

He daydreamed of slaying dragons as he marched up the cracked & aged steps of his museum. He untied his wolf hide shroud from his neck, whistling a monotonous ballad while doing so. Returning to his polish-smeared rag, he began to tend to his artifacts.

Hours, which seemed like minutes, went by when suddenly a draft had thrown the museum door open & tendrils of frosted wind grasped the warm air inside. Bon Iver looked up from the artifact through a pair of fogged glasses. Puzzled, he removed the glasses & made his way to the door, reaching for his spellbook on his way.

From outside, a head could be seen peering out from the museum door.
"Hellloooooo?", shouted the knight.
There was but a faint wind that returned his call.
"Is anyone out there?", he shouted once more.
Bon Iver scanned the landscape before him through the snow-infested wind. Giving up, he turned his back & advanced inside when all of the sudden a gust of wind forced a scream that shuttered the dirty floorboards of the museum.

The knight spun around, grabbed his shroud, & ran out into the storm shouting offers of assistance. Once more a gust of wind carried a scream, fainter, at the knight. Bon Iver knew someone was in danger & estimated where the sound billowed from and began to run in the direction. His silhouette disappeared from the white snow & into the dark forest from which the scream came.

http://i41.***********/rj1oio.jpg

To be continued...

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Had a bit of writer's block with this report... Will have it up tomorrow most likely...

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
*points to Faeryl's new avatar*

Man, gotta LOVE that... good thing he ain't trademarked or copyrighted :mf_prop:

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cranus is awesome :)

Faeryl's signature is still out of date.

She is a Knight Major... :stir:

:arr:

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cranus is awesome :)

Faeryl's signature is still out of date.

She is a Knight Major... :stir:

:arr:
Hah. I just finished my report, am working on a Newsletter for a club I'm not even a member of (how does that even happen?!) and designing a website! I'm allowed to forget to update my signature :D

*turns on Photoshop*

Edit: All fixed! :lick:

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
am working on a Newsletter for a club I'm not even a member of (how does that even happen?!)
Faeryl is secretly the Secretary of the Bieber Fever Club.

http://i32.***********/6h6as9.jpg

Shhh! It's a secret! :eyes:

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am SO thinking of a way to get my revenge for that last post Bennu. :devil:

I despise Justin Bieber! Ugh. *gags*