• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How we get let down again and again!

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please continue the thread and post all the issues that have been neglected/ignored/completely misunderstood!.

my first issue is with potions: 1st players complain that pots are ruining pvp since people spam cure makeing poison non existant ext so they decide to up the weight! what was in their mind there? 1st this does not adress the issue of cure spam second it hurts players who acctually use alcamy which are few by lowering the amount of potions they can carry and by removeing the market for all but cure heal and refresh the 3 potions that were and still are abused in pvp. Dev team gets an F on that one

my second issue would be our + sub fee for better service... Yeah right! call it what it is A CASH GRAB! EA/Mythic = G for greedy!

My third issue is the new maginca rebuild... Seriously what in the world are they thinking the planting will become dust bowls on all but atlantic. = Dev's get another F on this sorry but they said it was going to be rebuilt with player involvement growing plants after its rebuilt does not qualify!

fourth - Comunication from the dev team! Bring back the 5 on friday!! Seriously how hard was it to keep up? one person had to write a 15 min speal answering some player questions not hard and is much needed! I will give them a D on this since they do seem to be trying new things twitter facebook ext ext all of which are garbage and should be wiped off the web!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not so sure about your analogy of the plant areas I happen to know a bunch of gardening "fanatics" on GL's. Several of whom I'm betting will be happy to garden there.

O

olduofan

honestly I feel my list would be to long and incomplete do to forgetting about so many things that are broke.

My main problem with this game is its way to complex and item based every year I just get more and more behind and lost..

It is also very easy to see why new players dont stay its way to complex. games are supposed to be fun not agitating and feeling like a job.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shrugs*

I don't feel let down. I know how EA doesn't like to pay attention to the uo team and I expect accordingly. I still find this game fun and I know when I lose interest I will leave. I won't become on of those people who pay for a game that they complain and rant about endlessly.

J

jaashua

I don't feel let down. I know how EA doesn't like to pay attention to the uo team and I expect accordingly. I still find this game fun and I know when I lose interest I will leave. I won't become on of those people who pay for a game that they complain and rant about endlessly.
It's not that simple. For a large segment of us, once you've played an MMO, you can't go back to single player games. Same with shooters. I can play TF2 all night, but didn't get more than a couple levels into HL2.

I've tried every other MMO. They are all worse than UO. Now, that DOES NOT mean that the current dev team automatically gets any credit or slack. The game was great from day one and had a lot of positive and negative changes. What we're seeing with the current dev team is a dedicated focus on things we couldn't care less about and a flippant disregard of the things we really care about. It's literally almost like a comedic spoof of a dev team....to the point where it feels borderline antagonistic. It's extremely annoying and I have, and will again, take a break and play no MMO, but while I'm playing and seeing the wrong things happening, I'm going to feel at liberty to voice my opinion. You never know when it could have an impact.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dude really, its just a game..

play it, have fun.. if you dont have fun, find something else..

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please don't misunderstand me this thread is to allow people to let out the major issues they find in the game or have experianced so hopefully a dev might stumble apon this and get an idea to fix something people don't like or found was poorly implamented.! That said, i never said i don't enjoy the game ALOT i love UO i just wish some poor idea's were recinded Like the bs of 2 stone potions if anything they should be 10=1stone i would love to do a pvm potion chucker that has a chance vs bosses without running out of them every 5 minutes. potions = 2 stones is horrible! put a timer on cure potions and it would have been fixed but NOOO they had to go and ruin it for everyone! So yeah the 2 stone potions is my major concern!

As to the plant area think about it they said you can only do one per 4 days I so doubt the handfull of gardeners will make maginca flourish! 6 months and i will go walk maginca on each and every shard cept test and see how much people love to garden.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

seriously.

To the OP: I do see the misunderstanding here, and it's your title and post here. Perhaps you should make your title not read like a huge rant when you're trying to make a serious post about bugs.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just maintain low expectations for the game and its development. Try to ignore the fact that even those standards will never be met.

You'll be a disgruntled vet in no time.

W

Woodsman

*shrugs*

I'd go further and say it's not unique to UO.

As much as some like to bash the UO devs, we have complaints similar and familiar to the Camelot and Warhammer crowds. The only difference between us and them is that the Warhammer crowd have official forums in which to vent and that may make them feel slightly better. :gee:

On the other hand, UO and Camelot fans have a much better chance of being able to play their games a year from now :lol:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my first issue is with potions: 1st players complain that pots are ruining pvp since people spam cure makeing poison non existant ext so they decide to up the weight!
Take an empty glass, lift it up in your hand. Fill it with water. Take a drink. Not an unreasonable change, and certainly not a PvP concern with much weight. An undocumented change to mysticism which allows mortal to be lifted? Now, that would be thread worthy. Of course, that's been done, and ignored...

my second issue would be our + sub fee for better service... Yeah right! call it what it is A CASH GRAB! EA/Mythic = G for greedy!
My bill has been the same since 1999. May be an international issue. I don't bother with the VAC if I can avoid it, for example. Not sure you can blame the VAC on EA, either.

planting will become dust bowls on all but atlantic.
Players will do anything to get something with their name on it. People, will do anything, to get something with their name on it. It may be ridiculous, but if it is, we're to blame. Look how excited we got about Halloween pumpkins, and people spent at least a week doing that.

they do seem to be trying new things twitter facebook ext ext all of which are garbage and should be wiped off the web!
Twitter is a fairly efficient way to pass knowledge, or immediate updates. Of course, for the sake of Ultima, an RSS feed from the Herald is better. Facebook is hard to ignore as a business proposal; a conversation at no cost. A generous portion of the UO populace is on Facebook, and everyone is now trying to sell on Facebook. I'd rather see people post comments on Herald posts, but Facebook is viral.

If you make a comment on the UO page with a Facebook account you broadcast that comment to all of your "friends." Maybe one of those friends takes a look at the UO page, and they add a comment, even if it's "Wow, really? This game still exists?" And that comment is broadcast to all of that guy's friends and it stirs the pot. And so on, and so on.

Now, maybe none of that matters, but there's no chance of that free advertising happening without the use of a Facebook presence, and EA is far from alone. Most marketing groups agree, and most companies have presence on Facebook as a result.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hate Facebook. I refuse to have a Facebook account. I think of it like a devils plague. Vial and evil. It is a virus... one which those who use it allow to have spread all over their computer, telling folk your likes and dislikes it's like opening up the door to your home and allowing them inside. Disgusting.

As for the game... I'm more disappointed in EA. Not the DEV's. Most of my irritation is with the parent. They are the ones responsible for the utter lack of customer service.

And finally my biggest irritation is with the players. Those who feel it necessary to spout filth and vulgar remarks all over general chat... those who attend EM events and player run events with the sole self serving plan to ruin it for everyone else with the vulgar taunts, their non-compliance with civil requests, their need to stand right on top of everything so no one can see what is going on... and general selfish, vulgar, kindergarten attitude. I am absolutely disgusted by the behavior of many players anymore. I'm not sure if this is a sign of things to come with society in general or what but I can say this... I certainly wish I had a comeupance button in-game... Cause I know a few folk who need to get theirs.

The attitudes of some folk are exactly why there is a Trammel and there will continue to be a need for Trammel. And they are the reason for the filter, which in my opinion is a JOKE because most of the things spouted by the offenders are misspelled either on purpose or because the ingrates don't even know how to properly spell their insults. The name filter is a joke... I've seen some really vulgar things on both character names and pet names.

The ignore feature is well and good but I'll ask this again.... WHY should those who come to enjoy the game and participate in a civil and decent manner have to spend 90% of their time having to attempt to pull bars out of a throng of people to put folk on ignore ..... while the offender can be offensive to 90% of the other players and continue to get away with it.... disrupting everyone elses ability to enjoy and participate in the event..? Why is nothing done? Why should the decent folk have to spend so much time and effort putting idiots like that on ignore when if there was decent support and the EM's had decent powers that sort of behavior would be NOT tolerated and those offenders would be teleported away or jailed, marks made against their accounts and eventually the morons would get the idea that that sort of behavior is NOT going to be tolerated and everyone would be able to enjoy the event... without spending half the event trying to pull the offenders bar and put them on ignore.

Seems to me if EA/DEVs used a heavy hand with folk like that the events would go much smoother, without incidents and folk would have FAR more fun. And believe it or not more people would go to the events and enjoy them.

If you think the game is filled with jerkoff's its because that sort of childish, vulgar and anti-social behavior is allowed. Because they know NOTHING will be done about it so they continue to act that way.

The reason I prefer to hold events in my home is because there I'm given the ability to throw the offenders OUT.

You want to talk about being let down... Hearing the DEV's say they can't do anything about human nature and all was a HUGE Let down for me.

Give a rats about Magincia's rebuilding.... I don't have any way to take a plot there at all... and I'm not about to garden there.

C

ChReuter

Doesn't this thread belong in Spiels and Rants? So sick of the complainers
Just shut up and smile right? I'm guessing you'd like to see every thread that a player voices some sort of resentment thrown into a forum that is less frequented in general and void of any employees of EA?

Besides, are you not complaining in responding the way you did?

K

Kiminality

A rant is basically unmitigated pancakes about something the poster feels strongly about, usually because they're in a tizzy over it and need to vent. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't contribute anything to the community, and doesn't invite responses beyond agreement or disagreement, with the disagreements almost invariably leading to full blown arguments.
A spiel is basically when someone effectively crusades for something, their only aim is to convince people to agree with them. Rants are often Spiels, because the ranter tries to convince the readers that they are right and that everyone else should be furious too.

The OP is a rant, but the thread has spawned some proper discussion.

W

Woodsman

You want to talk about being let down... Hearing the DEV's say they can't do anything about human nature and all was a HUGE Let down for me.
You may find this amusing/ironic/infuriating - Fayled mentioned this in another thread:

Player Banned From Dragon Age II Over Calling EA 'The Devil' Was A 'Glitch,' Says BioWare

One Dragon Age II player recently found himself unable to play the game he'd purchased from EA for an unusual reason. He'd called publisher Electronic Arts "the devil" on the game's official forum, leading to a ban from that message board and his copy of Dragon Age II. BioWare says that was an "error."

Responding to criticism from players that a 72-hour ban from the BioWare social network also restricted that player from registering and playing his copy of Dragon Age II, BioWare reps offered the following explanation.

"EA strictly enforces the code of conduct at Social.BioWare.com," writes Chris Priestly, community manager for Dragon Age at BioWare. "If a player violates the rules by using profanity, they will be temporarily banned. Unfortunately, there was an error in the system that accidentally suspended a user's entire account. Immediately upon learning of the glitch, EA restored the user's macro account and apologized for the inconvenience."
Ironic that somebody would get banned for calling EA names on the official EA forums and get their account banned as well, even if it's accidentally.

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Sosarians,

Let me comment on "New Magincia." The Rebuilding of Magincia is a Major Event in Sosarian Lore. It is Directly tied to the Virtues as its destruction came as a result of its Extreme Pride and Vanity, and New Magincia is the Virtue Town of Humility.

Yet all we are getting is an Island full of player housing and a players garden.

This is disappointment on an Epic Scale!

Why not use this opportunity to do something bold, such as creating Shops with a small number of Vendor Tiles ...Players could rent a vendor in a Shop ...the mode of dress would be set by the Devs and unchangeable and the wares would be required to match the Shop type ...bows/arrows/bolts/shafts/feathers etc in Bowyer Shop, armor at armorers weps at wepsmith etc, ...the rental would last one week or one month whichever best meets player play periods and same account would have to wait a period of time to apply again for rent in same Shop

Why not re-Introduce Katrina as Mayor of Magincia (played by Dev or EM sometimes ...NPC AI rest of time) and Tie this into adding the Humility Skill into the already established in game Virtues such as Sacrifice, Compassion, Valor, etc.

Why not a few Virtue Quests or maybe a few different Humility Quests begun in Magincia

Many more Player Ideas I'm sure are on Players Minds ...C'mon Folks add them to this Thread. Even if its To Late to do this before Rebuild this month, Give Dev's food for thot for future inclusion.

Secondly, I'd like to address the Dread War Horse. These were introduced a few years back for a Brief Event. Only Tamers could own them and there Were and Are very popular with Tamers. Many who were away during that event and many new players since then have begged for these to be reintroduced. They already exist in game so I see no reason not to allow them again. Instead, Bane Dragons were introduced which most Tamers dont really like in looks or abilities, and who eat nothing readily available in game.

Thirdly, Armor sets introduced long ago and which may still drop, myrmidon, Assassins, and several others, many players have some pieces of some sets, hardly any players have even one Complete Set of any of these. Cant the more rare lower drop rate pieces be either made more common, or available thru some other method such as a Trade-In NPC accepting an extra piece a player may have for a piece they need.

I raise these, not to complain or whine, but rather in hopes of seeing these addressed so as to increase Player's fun and enjoyment.

I'm sure others have more, similar to add, Please Do in this Thread Topic,

An SoS

p.s. perhaps Original Poster could edit Title to better attract other Players eyes and contributions

J

Jartan

You are just being self centered with a comment like this. You need to accept that other people are different than you and maybe there is nothing "else" to do which is fun.

Not all of us find watching a bunch of men smack each other on the ass and throw around a bag of synthetic leather filled with air entertaining.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You are just being self centered with a comment like this. You need to accept that other people are different than you and maybe there is nothing "else" to do which is fun.

Not all of us find watching a bunch of men smack each other on the ass and throw around a bag of synthetic leather filled with air entertaining.
Ugh what? What exactly is self-centered about saying that this is just a game and if you don't find it fun find something else? And where did you get sports out of that comment? There are plenty of more things to do than a game you don't like such as other games, etc.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate Facebook. I refuse to have a Facebook account. I think of it like a devils plague. Vial and evil. It is a virus... one which those who use it allow to have spread all over their computer, telling folk your likes and dislikes it's like opening up the door to your home and allowing them inside. Disgusting.

As for the game... I'm more disappointed in EA. Not the DEV's. Most of my irritation is with the parent. They are the ones responsible for the utter lack of customer service.

And finally my biggest irritation is with the players. Those who feel it necessary to spout filth and vulgar remarks all over general chat... those who attend EM events and player run events with the sole self serving plan to ruin it for everyone else with the vulgar taunts, their non-compliance with civil requests, their need to stand right on top of everything so no one can see what is going on... and general selfish, vulgar, kindergarten attitude. I am absolutely disgusted by the behavior of many players anymore. I'm not sure if this is a sign of things to come with society in general or what but I can say this... I certainly wish I had a comeupance button in-game... Cause I know a few folk who need to get theirs.

The attitudes of some folk are exactly why there is a Trammel and there will continue to be a need for Trammel. And they are the reason for the filter, which in my opinion is a JOKE because most of the things spouted by the offenders are misspelled either on purpose or because the ingrates don't even know how to properly spell their insults. The name filter is a joke... I've seen some really vulgar things on both character names and pet names.

The ignore feature is well and good but I'll ask this again.... WHY should those who come to enjoy the game and participate in a civil and decent manner have to spend 90% of their time having to attempt to pull bars out of a throng of people to put folk on ignore ..... while the offender can be offensive to 90% of the other players and continue to get away with it.... disrupting everyone elses ability to enjoy and participate in the event..? Why is nothing done? Why should the decent folk have to spend so much time and effort putting idiots like that on ignore when if there was decent support and the EM's had decent powers that sort of behavior would be NOT tolerated and those offenders would be teleported away or jailed, marks made against their accounts and eventually the morons would get the idea that that sort of behavior is NOT going to be tolerated and everyone would be able to enjoy the event... without spending half the event trying to pull the offenders bar and put them on ignore.

Seems to me if EA/DEVs used a heavy hand with folk like that the events would go much smoother, without incidents and folk would have FAR more fun. And believe it or not more people would go to the events and enjoy them.

If you think the game is filled with jerkoff's its because that sort of childish, vulgar and anti-social behavior is allowed. Because they know NOTHING will be done about it so they continue to act that way.

The reason I prefer to hold events in my home is because there I'm given the ability to throw the offenders OUT.

Give a rats about Magincia's rebuilding.... I don't have any way to take a plot there at all... and I'm not about to garden there.[/QUOTE

No offense but there are just as many fools with bad attitudes running around Trammel as there are in Fel.

Trammel did nothing to clean the game up. It simply allowed a large % of players to have bad attitudes with no chance of repercussion.

For instance, pre-Trammel you had less issues with kill stealing and monster luring. Sure it went on but at some point if it affected you enough you always had the option to try & pk the offender. Maybe not always a permanent solution but it was something. Or better yet, you could call in a few friends/guildies to take care of the problem.
Was usually interesting & alot of fun.
And I can say for a fact that weeks/months/years after the incidents you would still remember details & laugh about them.
You cant say that for your daily, boring Trammel pvming/bank-sitting. If some guy was a total ass at a Trammel bank & tortured you for days you just left & forgot his name a week later.

Everybody seems to realize that one way or another Community spirit is what started this game & still continues to make it great.

Bottom line is that Community spirit started in Felucca and Felucca remains the only place where it could possibly experience its greatest revival

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WildWobble, go to rants and complain outloud. You sound like a child. Now, if you must harbor discontent over an online game, and you pay for it, call corporate headquarters and use the proper channels. Write endless letters, amke yourself heard. Become such a PITA that they will try and shut you up.

Posting on startics does what?? Nothing, nada, zip. You know, this is a game, okay? Not a real life investment. I take the good with the bad and roll with the punches. It's supposed to be about having fun. You have cheaters, ok, do something about it.

Facebook and UO. If a player connects the two, he/she is begging to get hacked or ripped off. You have to be a total 100% moronic idiot to intertwine the two.

People, have fun with UO. They owe you nothing. Let me repeat that, nothing. You pay for a service, just like your little texty things. Do you complain about your mobile carrier?? Do you expect them to bow down and increase their creativity just for you?? This applies to everything you pay for.
If you don't like the service, go elsewhere.

peace and prayers for Japan and the people.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WildWobble, go to rants and complain outloud. You sound like a child. Now, if you must harbor discontent over an online game, and you pay for it, call corporate headquarters and use the proper channels. Write endless letters, amke yourself heard. Become such a PITA that they will try and shut you up.

Posting on startics does what?? Nothing, nada, zip. You know, this is a game, okay? Not a real life investment. I take the good with the bad and roll with the punches. It's supposed to be about having fun. You have cheaters, ok, do something about it.

Facebook and UO. If a player connects the two, he/she is begging to get hacked or ripped off. You have to be a total 100% moronic idiot to intertwine the two.

People, have fun with UO. They owe you nothing. Let me repeat that, nothing. You pay for a service, just like your little texty things. Do you complain about your mobile carrier?? Do you expect them to bow down and increase their creativity just for you?? This applies to everything you pay for.
If you don't like the service, go elsewhere.

peace and prayers for Japan and the people.
Well said.

I couldnt agree more.

EA/Uo owes you nothing.

You pay a minimal monthly fee & are provided with a gaming experience. Nothing more, nothing less.

What kind of motard believes that his/her personal whims could possibly be catered to by an online gaming company?

I honestly believe that 90% of the malcontents continually posting to bash the game/devs could never be satisfied.
I doubt that anything less then a p/t supermodel working as a Dev showing up on their doorstep with a personal wish-list would satisfy them.

What kind of addiction/sickness causes people to keep paying & playing when they are so unhappy?

Take a break. Your negativity wont be missed, trust me.

Toodles.

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well said.

I couldnt agree more.

EA/Uo owes you nothing.

You pay a minimal monthly fee & are provided with a gaming experience. Nothing more, nothing less.

What kind of motard believes that his/her personal whims could possibly be catered to by an online gaming company?

I honestly believe that 90% of the malcontents continually posting to bash the game/devs could never be satisfied.
I doubt that anything less then a p/t supermodel working as a Dev showing up on their doorstep with a personal wish-list would satisfy them.

What kind of addiction/sickness causes people to keep paying & playing when they are so unhappy?

Take a break. Your negativity wont be missed, trust me.

Toodles.
Really a p/t supermodel...EA cant send me a f/t one?!?!?!?

Anira Cuilwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I can remember at least one thing that has been changed I complained about in the past. I think it depends on how you package your request and the quality of the arguments.

Complaining and whining helps no one.

J

jaashua

Ugh what? What exactly is self-centered about saying that this is just a game and if you don't find it fun find something else?
I think he meant self-righteous. You know, like when a nerd reading a message board about an MMO set in a fantasy theme assumes the stance that other people playing the game take it too seriously.

C

Cax Gavigan

I've been contemplating making a return to the game, but haven't been able to understand what issues people are having with Siege Perilous. What are the major concerns that players are having with Siege versus the other shards?

D

Daeradrin

What the hell, let's post some more....

UO is very much like any unwanted stepchild. EA saw it as a way to boost revenue with little or no effort. It had a decent, loyal player base when EA bought it. Their theory was sound, as far as it went, so they gave UO little or no effort. All that is left are the die-hards, the ones how just can't seem to quit, and the occasional new player who's machine just won't run anything else. (And let's face it, that really is the main draw with UO right now. You can play it on a dinosaur that would explode if you tried to play any other MMO.)

As far as getting let down, a wise man once told me: "Only the things you expect and do not receive will disappoint you." Assume EVERYTHING the devs say is total crap, and you will never be let down. In fact, I assume everything they say is total crap, and all of my surprises are happy ones.