• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to Use the UO.com Support Pages - Give the GMs a Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Moderators, could you please make this sticky? thanks /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

<font color=00008B>I am making this post in hopes to help Inform the UO Communities of the Support Pages on the UO.com Official Web Site.

Continuously, people keep complaining that when they page for a GameMaster, they keep referring them to a web page instead of showing up and answering their questions personally.

The reason GameMasters do this is because, the majority of the time, the question a player asked has already been answered in the Support Pages.

In the Post, I will explain how to Log Into the Support's Wizard login, Set up a New Support Account, do Searches in the Support Database, and Asking Questions through the Support Form.

-----

How to I Log Into the Wizard Login Support?

Step 1) If you have already created a Support Account, then: Open up a Web Browser Window, type in uo.com in the Address Bar, then hit Enter or click Go!

Once to the Official UO Web Site, on the Left is a Navigational Menu, click on the words: "Support"

Next, scroll down and click the words "Wizard Login" (as seen in the image below)

Step 2) Then, under the field: "Enter your email address and password to log in," Enter your Email address and password you set up when you created your Support Account. Then click "Log In."

-----

I Forgot My Support Account, How Do I Retrieve It?

Step 1) Follow the 1st step as described in How to I Log Into the Wizard Login Support?

Step 2) Then scroll down to the Field labeled "If you have forgotten your password..." and enter your Email Address and click the button: "Email Me My Password"

You will then, within moments, recieve your password in your Email. It is always a good Idea to Change Your Password whenever you have it Emailed to you. You can do this once you are logged in by clicking the words "Profile."

-----

How Do I Set Up A New Support Account?

Step 1) Follow the 1st step as described in How to I Log Into the Wizard Login Support?

Step 2) Then scroll down to the bottom of that page, where it says: "If you do not have a Support Account..." click the button "Create Support Account" as seen in the image below:

Step 3) Then you will be taken to a page where you must fill in some fields of Data, as seen in the image below. Fill in all these fields, then select all of the appropriote responses to the drop-down menus lists. (note: only the Fields with a red asterik, <font color=red>*</font color=red>, are Fields that MUST be filled in, the rest is a Optional. Click "Create Support Account" when done.

That is it, you are now ready to Log In with the E-Mail Address and Password you provided.

-----

How do I Search the Support Database for an Answer to my Question/Problem?

Step 1 Once logged in, click on the Tab labeled "Answers."

Step 2 Next Choose a Category to Search in, I like to leave this set to "All," unless I specifically know which Category my answer is in.

Step 3 Then type in your Search Criteria. Refrain form using common words suchs as "a, the, and, or, and I." These will just add to more Search Results on things you probably are not searching for.

Once you have done Typed in your Search Criteria, click the button labeled "Search."

Then the page will reload and you will then see a list of Answers that were found matching your Search Criteria. They will be listed under the word, "Summary," as seen in the picture above.

Simply click on the Words to read that Answer in it's entirety.

-----

How Do I Ask A Question to EA?

Step 1) Once Logged In, click the Tab labeled "Ask A Question."

You will then be taken to a Form.

First, you want to select which product you are using, currently, for Samuari Empire Useres, you will want to choose the "UO:Other" option.

Second, Choose a Category that your Question pertains to.

Then, Type in a Detailed Description of your Question and/or Problem. Be as specific as Possible. If related to one of your houses, hive your Houses' Cooridinates (you can find this by using a Sextant or using UO Auto Map, you can find UOAM in the UO Pro Apps section on uo.com as seen in the image below:).

Once done typing your Question/Problem, if you have a text log you wish to include, or mayhaps even your DxDiag Specs (if requested), you may Attach this to your Question/Problem that you send.

To do this, underneath the Field you typed your Question/Problem in, is another area labeled: "Attach Documents to Question." If you know the path name by heart, you may type it in that field there, or click the "Browse" button and locate it, select it, and click "Open" as shown below.

If done properly, your File's file name you wish to attach should be listed in the filed like so:

Once you are ready to submit your Question/Problem off, simply click the "Submit Question" button at the bottom of the Form, as seen in the picture above.

Within 30 Minutes to an Hour, you will recieve an Automated Responce Email form EA letting you know that your Question has been Recieved. This is normal, and everyone gets one when they submit a question, so do not get upset.

Normally it can take up 24 Hours for a responce. You will get your reponce in your Email. You will also be able to read the responce by Logging Into the Wizard Login and then going to the tab labeled: "Wizard Login"
At the bottom on that page you will see your Question Listed, you may click on it to read the reply.

I suggest that you continue to use the Support Wizard Login to Update your Question/Problem, rather than replying in Email. This is the preffered way of doing it, and you will get quicker responces.

-----

I have to insist that whenever you go to Log Into any Official UO Log In, that you get to that Log In by ONLY going through their Official Web Site, by clicking THEIR links to get to the Log In Page.

The reason I say this, is because when you sign up for a Support Account, you have the option to give them your Account Name, and when entering your Account name, you want to be sure you are at the Actual, Official UO Web Site, not someone elses site made to look like UO so they can get your account Details. It is sickening, but these 'fake' sites do exist, report them to EA whenever you see one!

-----

Another thing that I want to point out:

<font color=red>NO ONE AT EA WILL EVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSWORD BY E-MAIL.
NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR UO ACCOUNT PASSWORD.

ONLY OFFICIAL EA ULTIMA ONLINE PROMOTIONS &amp; WEB SITE WILL ASK YOU OR GIVE YOU THE CHOICE TO ENTER YOUR UO ACCOUNT NAME.
NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR UO ACCOUNT NAME EXCEPT FOR ON THE OFFICIAL UO.COM WEB SITE.

BE CAREFUL, DO NOT FALL PREY TO A 'FALSE' UO WEB SITE.</font color=red>

-----

With all that said, please people, give the GameMasters a break. Use the Support Feature of UO.com, that is what it is there for.

The GameMasters are not our Manual on how to play the game. That is why EA Provides us the Support Database and the Ask A Question feature.

The GameMasters are there to address Game-Stopping Issues and Violations of the TOS, among other things. They do not need be flooded with Questions that can be answered easily, and usually faster by using the Wizard Login Support Features.

-----

If you have any questions on my explanations here, or a question on something on using the Support Database that I did not cover, please feel free to Reply and ask away! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I

imported_lord richard

This is what I say...............................................................................
GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST DAMN TIME SO WE DON'T HAVE TO PAGE A GM.

D

Derrick83

-------------------------------------------
Normally it can take up 24 Hours for a responce.
-------------------------------------------

And there is the problem!!

No one wants to wait 24 hours for a simple yer/no question.

The wonderful thing about GM responses is that they DONT have to shwo up in person. All they gotta do is fill in a response box and it just shows up on your screen with a litle blue button with orange letters.

I paged a gm and asked a question:

"This guy wants to sell me a house. If I ACCEPT the traded house, and then collapsed it, would I have to wait the 7 days b4 placing a house?
The question is "Does accepting a house from a tradewinow trigger the 7 day timer for placing another house?""

Yes or no. I explained the situation biefly, then asked a yes or no question. I got the 13 page canned response that said to check out UO.com(which is totaly useless for information) and i could submit my question and wait for a response. Well, what if i need to know NOW. Isnt that what GMs aer for?? TO assist in situatinos in which users need immediate assistnace?

SOME people maya buse GMs but, lots of people with legitimate requests are given the canned response.

Bascialy, id be interested to see a ratio of automated resposes to total number of reqyuests a day. Ill be atleast 75-80% of the responses would be automated. GMs have no desire to interact with players. All it would take is "yes" or "no"....but instead they set up a automated response. These people supposed to help...but they are not.. not most of the time atleast.

thier are 1 or 2 GMs that are helpful and the others need to use them as an example. If you dont get one of the FEW gms that care, your matter will never get adressed.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Read @ 29 min past the hour
Does accepting a house start a timer,
followed the instructions above, searched on catagory housing, search term timer, returned the following:

If you place a house, have a house traded to you, or set a house to Primary, a one-week timer begins. During that time, you may not place another house, have another house traded to you, or set another house as Primary. However, you can still give away any number of houses on any number of shards without restriction.

If you're going to upgrade your house, double-click the house placement tool before you demolish your existing house. This will allow you to find out whether your timer is still active. If you still have a timer, it will say, "You must wait __ days/hours to place a house." Otherwise, you'll just get the house placement menu, which you can then cancel. Otherwise, you may find that you have demolished your house but cannot yet place a new one.

NOW considering I cut and pasted that, and am a slow typer, it was not a game stopping issue, was available as a "searchable rule set" .... which would be quicker for your yes no answer?:
Waiting in the Q or doing as agreed to in the TOS? (taking personal responsibility to review the rules your self)

HUMMMM?
Try this one yourself /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif : What are a GM's duties?

Your: Fayled Dhreams

B

Babble

Ea should better copy and paste your guide to the patch window so more people read it than the few frequenting these boards.

D

Derrick83

You still miss the point. GMs are there to help the playerbase right? How hard would that question have been to say "no." Instead, he gave a huge canned response. Ive tried using that help thing MANY times and the stuf fi put in there never was there so i stoped using it. It so happens that this time the answer WAS there, but the last 10 times, their was no relevant information to my issues, yet, a gm sent me there to look.

Again, it takes longer sometimes to give a automated response than it does to type 2 or 3 letters to actualy be hlepful to those people who need it.

S

Selphrane

Do you give your dog a break when it pees on your floor? Probably not. You beat it's rear end until it's trained.

Point: I don't want the GM's peeing on my floor anymore.

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

You still miss the point. GMs are there to help the playerbase right?

<hr></blockquote>
Yes, they are. But they are not there to answer every question a player might have, especially when there are other resources available.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

How Do I Ask A Question to EA?

Step 1) Once Logged...

<hr></blockquote>
This doesn't give GMs a break. GMs are the ones who answer those questions too.

G

GrangerLS

We pay a 3$ a month upgrade fee because it was supposed to "improve" Ultima onlines service.

This was 2 years ago..

Service has SIGNIFICANTLY declined since then (Both Dev and Customer service).

As much as I love talking to a wall when I page for a GM for an answer to an IN GAME issue, sorry thats not acceptable.

I

imported_Guildmule

<blockquote><hr>

Yes, they are. But they are not there to answer every question a player might have, especially when there are other resources available.

<hr></blockquote>
You know what's happening now. So face it, the GMs will answer SIMPLE questions! They probably don't know that answer to that question Derrick asked. I work at a support desk myself. I know I can throw the book at every client that called here, but I don't. I will however throw the book at those that asked questions I can't answer, and send them away. Every question I can answer I will because it is quicker and simplier than throwing the book at them. Like he said, it's quicker to just answer "No or Yes"; that is if the GMs know the answer to it. Which is why these threads exists; some GMs don't know enough about UO to rightfully support it correctly.

While some GMs will try to finish a call as quick as possible. Either send you to read a webpage, sent you to Uhall, etc. They will come and fix simple stuffs, even if those simple stuffs aren't even part of their job description. They want easy calls only and send away anything complicated.

A

Apex

i have to agree
the increased service fee didnt do anything for the game imo
customer service sucks, as it allways has done

G

It might help if the GM's didn't give canned replies to questions and issues that can ONLY be answered or resolved by a GM. For instance take the guy who just posted about the items that got locked down under the house sign when he placed at a spot a house had fallen. With custom houses there is a solution, with old style houses you need a GM to unlock them but when he paged he got refered to the website. I've had issues that I was refered to the website over and there is no mention of it even remotely close and I know I'm not the only one who has been refered to the website by a canned message only to have the website direct you to page a GM for help with the issue...

P

PapaRazzi

Let me just clue you in on something...Stratics Posters...complain here because we're the ones that page GMs for REAL reasons, and we need REAL HELP...the new player, that doesn't know to come here and read/post, is the one that's asking the questions that are already answered on the Help Pages...to my knowledge, no one here at Stratics is paging a GM to find out how to join a guild, or use a weapon, or find their way around Sosaria....we're asking where our House went that simply vanished, or why our characters are stuck under a freaking mountain, or why Vamp members always seem to be macroing their Reds, and should they be dealth with...we're asking questions that actually need interaction to answer.....to the OP....nice waste of a good long copy/paste post...

Give the GMs a break? Why? So they can have more time to equip their Guildmates with...well, whatever they need? Sure thing....

A

AncientGeek

<blockquote><hr>

Do you give your dog a break when it pees on your floor? Probably not. You beat it's rear end until it's trained.
&lt;br&gt;
&lt;br&gt;Point: I don't want the GM's peeing on my floor anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh.. I never beat my dog, and I don't think you should either. Incidently if beating a dog was the best way to teach it, then Mr. Tact would have led the charge on pvp fixes a long time ago, cause that dude takes a (mostly deserved) beating on these boards.

Incidently I've gotten some horrifically bad GM service in the past when I gurantee you my problem was not solveable in a help database. Should players use the help web site more? Absolutely. Do GMs occasionally give crap service and refer real problems to irrelevant web pages because they couldn't be bothered to read closely enough? Absolutely.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Let me just clue you in on something

The OP is Dated: 12/16/<font color=red>04</font color=red>

to the OP....nice waste of a good long copy/paste post...

The "OP, is": Terraseer
Who IS Orvago
Who Is recently promoted to Admin see?
And
Whose post IS in the FAQ...here

Heh!
By the By
Thanks for the post...
(I was going into smiley withdrawal)

hahahaha

L

Lord Theseus

To the one that posted about the House info on uo.com, it is only half true (to an extent). If you place, bring up the context menu, it will say you have to wait 7 days b4 placing another. That is only half true. You have to wait 15 mins to collapse, thus converting your 7 day wait to 0, thus able to place again. This is the only time it can be done, if you collapse again then you HAVE to wait 7 days regardless.

Reason I'm stating all this, is because the info on that site gives a general response for all, not necessarily the correct or most informative in ALL cases, thus is not 100% accurate information.

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well thank you for that information but I think I'll continue to do my normal. Page a GM over and over again until I stop getting scripted answers and someone answers me with a written response.

G

If I have an issue in game I will keep paging GM's.

I don't care if its in there or not. Everytime I've tried to use that page it never has what I'm talking about (sometimes close but not the same), or it just isnt working in some form.

So unless they have to make that site (how do I put this gently)... not suck then I'll keep paging GMs for issues.

I

imported_Pinky

<blockquote><hr>

&lt;br&gt;
&lt;br&gt;Point: I don't want the GM's peeing on my floor anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scary thinking, sounds like something my dad would say. If the dog pees on the floor it's your fault your responsibility for not taking the dog for a walk on time. If you beat your dog it only teaches him violence and he will either grow up to be a mean dog or a depressed dog. That's how people train their pitbulls to be killers, they beat them. I've seen it done many times.

The GMs must be understaffed and the GM policy needs to be changed to be more helpfull to the players.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The OP is Dated: 12/16/<font color=red>04</font color=red>

to the OP....nice waste of a good long copy/paste post...

The "OP, is": Terraseer
Who IS Orvago
Who Is recently promoted to Admin see?
And
Whose post IS in the FAQ...here

Heh!
By the By
Thanks for the post...
(I was going into smiley withdrawal)

hahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

*chuckles*

Yes, this thread was created during a time when our GM Page Qeues were like in the Hundreds! People were paging on very very miniscule things like "how do I mount my horse" and stuff like that, causing the GMs to have to spend time answering them and move on to find the really big issues.

As Fayled stated, I created this post 2 years ago. GM queue's are no longer as horrid as they used to be. No where near, so this thread is mostly irrelevant now (2006), as I also believe the help support pages have changed. I'll probably write up another How-To when I have the time on the new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.