• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How To Train Various Skills? Stratics is way out of date...

H

Heskey

Hey guys,

Ever since EA took away power hour, npc fighters, golems etc, we're left with the old system of fighting properly to raise are skills; admittedly as it should be and that's fine. But when they forgot to make skill gain less tedious than it is at the moment, it really takes the biscuit!

Stratics and other web-sources are long-since out of date with regards to train various skills. And just for the sake of me not having to ask again for sometime in the future, I'll post a list of skills important to me, and ask that any of you 'in-the-know' will be able to help me, please.

Swordsmanship/Fencing/Mace Fighting/Archery
Tactics
Anatomy
Poisoning
Hiding
Blacksmith
Tailoring
Bowcraft/Fletching

The most familiar format to me is:

40-50: Kill skeletons (or whatever)
or 70-80: Make leather sleeves (or whatever)

Any and all help appreciated! Why does making a new character today have to be such a pain?

- Heskey

B

bob da builder

ok for poisoning
50 to 65 lesser
65.1 to 75 regular
75.1 to 90 greater
90.1 to 100 greater and deadly

thats the tried and true way as for me:thumbup: i carry about a thousand niteshade on me and go to despise i poison my wepon with the chart above but i also spam infectous strike for every hit on a monster as if it were lightning strike thats how to get poison up fast

I PLAY VIDEO GAMES NOT WRIGHT NOVELS:)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For these: Craft what you are 60% to 80% chance to make.

I'd just updated the Smith FAQ before the Stratics forums crashed, but some of the information I've also put up here. Note that Arms Lore now adds bonuses to exceptional weapons & armor, so a crafter will want these.

Arms Lore: Buy as high as possible in New Haven (blacksmith shop, or Jacob in the miner area). Then, have it go up while you train Blacksmithing, Tailor and/or Bowcraft (it goes up crafting any armor {except shields}, and any weapon). If you're not to GM by the time you finish training the crafting skills (not like you'll NEED to have it at GM any quicker), then use the skill actively on a piece of gear on you (weapon, etc.)

Blacksmith
0-40: Buy off NPC in New Haven, and take Hesphastus' skill gain quest. Do the same for Mining from Jacob, south of the New Haven Moongate. Get mining to 50 first, to get some ingots to start out with. Note that Selling stuff to NPCs and buying ingots with the proceeds no longer is remotely worth attempting, since they made it where the NPCs won't pay jack for ingots (so people no longer sell ingots to NPCs to lower the prices)

The higher you get your mining, the less ingots you lose smelting, then return to Hesphastus' shop. (note that mining gives gains, regardless of ore type when mining up the ore, but is based on difficulty of ore for gains while smelting the ore to ingots)
Note: Be sure to buy Salvage bag from provisioner - returns 1 extra ingot per smith item smelted

40-50: make Maces, in the New Haven smith shop, using the faster skill gain area.

50-up... Consult the charts in the "Till I have a board again" stickied thread for things you can gain on (especially the link to the list of things and their gain limits, a few replies down in it)...
Suggest the following
Switch to Cutlasses somewhere in the 50s.
Switch to Krysses somewhere in the mid 60s.
Switch to Shurikens somewhere in the mid 70s.
Switch to Circlets around 90
Switch to Royal Circlets at GM, keep making them until 120.

This assumes you are Mondains Legacy-enabled.

Tailoring:
Buy it up, then:
suggest short pants to 45 (though will get slow at that point)
Leather Jingasa to 54
Robes to 70
Oil cloth to at least 80 (oil cloths you turn into bandages for your characters with healing or vet - they don't recycle)
switch to Cloth Ninja Hoods sometime in the 80s or 90s (hoods can take you up to 110 if scrolled to 110, 115 if scrolled to 120)
Studded hiro sode from wherever you stop with the hoods, to 120.

Suggest looking at the GM+ Tailor thread I just stickied for a link to a chart like the one for smithing I referred to.

Bowcraft/Fletching: A No-brainer....
Buy/train skill to 30. Go to Heartwood to the Bow questgivers.
Do the quest "A simple Bow" until your chance to craft (don't wear talismans during training) is nearing 100%
Then switch over to the hardest "Ingenious Archery" quests your skill level is capable of doing.
Keep doing quests till you hit GM. This will probably get you all the recipes, and maybe some flatching runics, by the time you hit GM. If not, continue doing "A simple bow" quests after GM fir recipes you lack, or trying for runics.

T

T_Amon_from_work

... Swordsmanship/Fencing/Mace Fighting/Archery
Tactics
Anatomy
Poisoning
Hiding
Blacksmith
Tailoring
Bowcraft/Fletching

Tactics and Anatomy: Train at New Haven trainer, beat up the stuff in Old Haven until you're at 50, then go forth and tackle bigger things. Tactics and Anatomy raise rather quickly as you fight, so they're easy IMO.

Blacksmithing: I GM'd on Plate Gorgets, but seeing Basara's comment on the Circlet I'll prolly head for 110 using that. By all means use the Salvage Bag for better recycle return.

Tailoring: Oilcloth and cloth Ninja Hoods all the way to GM once I could make them. I recycled the oilcloths to bandages and dropped them in the Fountain Of Life for my warriors to use. Recycle the hoods with the Salvage Bag as well.

Bowcraft: I'm not gaining well ATM (mid-80s), so will most likely be tackling the Heartwood stuff to finish it off.

H

Heskey

Thanks for the help so far guys.

With regards to the 3 main melee categories (Weapon/Tactics/Anatomy)

At what level should I kill what thing?

T

T_Amon_from_work

Thanks for the help so far guys.

With regards to the 3 main melee categories (Weapon/Tactics/Anatomy)

At what level should I kill what thing?
I actually picked on the Brown Bears that are all over by the Moonglow Zoo until gains slowed, then Despise and Shame dungeons.

Despise, I did Lizardmen upstairs and collected the hides. Sold them to tailors for cash infusion. Did Earthies in Shame 1 ... 1-3 at a time depending on how stupid I felt like being. That was weapon, anat, tacs, healing and (at the time) parry.

T's 1st Rule: Hit it. If it does not damage you beyond your healing abilities AND you gain then it's good. Else RUN LIKE H***!!!

B

bob da builder

yes u can spam infectios strike its either the primary or secondary skill for what wepon ur using. kryss secondary or assassin spike primary

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just had my tailor killing Gamans at Homare-jima; 84 real tactics skill, 94 with jewelry - was gaining Tactics really fast (like about 1.5 in the time it took to fill up a beetle with leather) against them

H

Heskey

I sorted Swords/Tactics/Anatomy/Healing by training on a Paladin NPC.

Poisoning if proving to be a real pain though.

I can either sit tediously poisoning weapons, Or I can poison weapons on the fly and spend entire nights running around despise spamming infectious strike as if it was lightning strike.

Poisoning a wep takes much less effort than going out using it, but yields less chance to gain.

The figures behind it are...

If I have 50 potions and apply them to a dagger, that's 50 chance to gain.

If I have 50 potions and apply them to a dagger one-by-one giving it 16 charges each time, then going out and USING those 16 charges before re-poisoning, that's 800 chances to gain.

On plain paper, going killing looks like the best option, but it's tiresome, labourious and boring :(

E

eric133

Poisoning is a pain in the butt, good luck :). From what i understand you can poison a raw fish steak, then put it back into a group of fishsteaks pull it back out and then poison it. I beleive this method is the cheapest, easiest way to do it. I on the other hand did it the hard way, my smith filled my roof with kryss' and then i went through and poisoned all of them...when they disappeard i did it all over again. I got it to 85 and struggled to find a temp that allowed me to use it, once again best of luck. and perhaps some people could write some temps suggestions here too.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I make a dexxer or archer, I tend to kill the following stuff, more or less in the order below. Some stuff is better for dexxers and others for archers.

- Stuff around New Haven.
- Ettins and earth eles in Despise
- Trolls and ogres in Despise.
- Earth eles, dull copper eles, air eles, water eles, sea serpents, kracken in Shame. (Make sure healing is good for the kracken and be prepared to back off if necessary.)
- Solen infiltrators. (Do the powder quest while you're at, can always use the powder on pet summoning balls.)
- Ratmen and shadow iron eles in Ilshenar. (Use Sacrifice gate. Ratmen are nice for arrows and regs.)
- Ogre lords.
- Centaurs in Ilshenar (nice for collecting arrows).
- Crystal elementals.
- Troglodytes in Painted Caves.
- Orc brutes. (Note: If you're used to killing these with a tamer, be prepared to see a heavier amount of spawn when you use a dexxer or archer.)
- Demons and imps in the hedge maze.
- Gazers, imps, wisps in the Honesty gate area.
- Cyclops and titans (Despise, near Honesty gate in Ilshenar, or in the Lost Lands).
- Cove orc fort. (Especially nice for a samurai wanting bushido gains from using momentum strike. Line up an orc brute and some of extra spawn and have at it.)
- Arctic ogre lords.
- Tsuki wolves. (Do at the spawn spot near Homare Jima gate and try to lure them off a bit so you only have to deal with one at a time. If you die, have a monk heal you. Monks also like to jump in the fight. LOL)
- Justice moongate area in Ilshenar.
- Yamatso warriors, ronins, ninjas, revenant lions near the Homare-Jima gate.
- Blood, poison, acid eles, gazers, krakens, sea serpents, red mages in Shame.
- Chaos dragoons, controllers, golems, jukas around Mistas in Ilshenar. (Use Justice or Honesty gate.)
- Bake kitsune, kaze kemono, onis in the Kitsune Woods.
- Rotting corpses and liches in Doom.
- Dragons, white wyrms.
- Betrayers, juggernauts, controllers, golems, jukas in Blackthorn's Castle in central Ilshenar. (Don't go alone.)

There are tons of other possibilities. These are just the ones I have found and kind of enjoy.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Golems still work just fine for training fighting skills. There are a few new things to bear in mind though:

1. Still Use a 100% poison weapon, it will not do 1 pt of damage per hit.

2. Be at the appropriate skill level = +/- 25 points of the Golems skill (ie. if your Golem has 75 wrestle, you can train swords from 50 to 100)

3. Even is the golem is "GM" made, the skills can still vary greatly, something like 55 wrestle, all the way to GM. Have a 110 Lore tamer tell you it's skills.

4. Heal the Golem every once in a while to avoid it dying. I prefer to use a Human character to cast gift of renewal on it, but if you have a tinker friend, they can keep it alive with ingots.

In my opinion this is still the fastest way to train the fighting skills and thier support skills, Anat and Tactics, as you are constantly hitting the Golen and never hunting for new targets, you hope are int eh correct range.

Tips: either repair your weapon often, or use Power of Fort to boost its durability and make sure you use the correct commands on the golem, I believe it is follow me, guard me, you attack it, then tell it to stop, and guard you.

H

Heskey

I've found male paladins to be much more efficient than the tinker/poison weapon required golems.

I'm already at:

114.7 Swords
110.8 Tactics
94.4 Healing
GM Anatomy

H

Heskey

I'll just add that I now have completed melee training and am at 120 swords and 115 tactics thanks to various now-naked paladins.

M

MonkeyBusiness

What do you mean by "naked paladin" is this a new training method?

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe he means hiring paladin NPCs, and then beating on them for skill gain.

M

MonkeyBusiness

This paladin strategy sounds interesting. Does that make you turn grey/criminal? How do you intiate combat with them? What sort of weapons and armor do you use to ensure the paladin (and you) aren't killed? Thanks for the help!

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a trick to avoid avoiding getting either yourself or the NPC whacked, but I can't remember the specifics (the typical trick is being guilded, I think, and then something involving having the NPC guard you or something similar).

I have only tried it a time or two, I prefer using the slower method of killing monsters as much as possible--the boredom of whacking an NPC a billion times is more than I can bear (than goodness parrying goes so quickly).