• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) How to run an Alchemy Shop?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How important is location of the shop on Siege? To a new player of Siege it would seem that New Maginica is center of commerce. To bad they didn't put gate on a vendor search map, instead of recall.

Reagents and Glass bottles cost three times as much as production shards. Do to the cost of reagents and bottles how do you keep the cost of potions reasonable? Do people prefer Kegs or Bottles? Is buying up all the shops reagents the only way to get reagents?

Is alchemy a profitable profitable business? And how time consuming is it? Or would it be smarter to run a different kind of vendor shop on Siege?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget you could make your own bottles and cut costs that way.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't think the lokation mean that much, if players want something, they will find the shop.
The weight of the kegs are a problem and should be lowered to 20 stones again @Kyronix, now where you can put bottles of posion in a blessed deed.
I refuse to sell bottles as I hate shop for them or craft them, I rather sell kegs.
I need to let Rosalia get more playtime to stock her vendors.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The thing that has always got me :confused2: is when you make an enchanted apple where does that bottle go? in the apple it seems, it should give you an empty bottle back

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Bring back factions and Faction vendors! (don't care about the arties at all)
I love to see the Vendors. I so miss shopping at them, as for factions I did that on Sonoma years back, I think the VvV is a lot better myself, I like how there no going to a base/stone declaring that base as yours and only way to exit was (I believe) was to go back to the stone once more. In VvV, no stone to go to, just click to join or resign. I like that.

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When pvpers come here they will want potions and they will buy them. I made an alchemist because nobody had a shop

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most pvmrs dont carry pots for healing, which is why we have such a shortage. I'm sure we've got 30 or 40 alchy's, just no one stocking. Sorry but you can't expect todays players to like and work with 15+ yr old rules like 3x prices. When Siege first started, yes, it needed the community to help it succeed. Today, it's just stupid rules that only hold everyone down. Would it really have killed the shard if we had been given the free gate for vendor shopping ? Really ?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most pvmrs dont carry pots for healing
I believe you are wrong and I sure make some remember to carry cure potions :p

Would it really have killed the shard if we had been given the free gate for vendor shopping ? Really ?
I don't think it would but there are several hubs near towns, so I believe vendor owners will be allowed to place a tele in one of them.

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
What potions would be worth it? They are expensive and time consuming but if there was profit someone would sell them

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The most important thing about running a vendor is it keeping it stocked. It is even a hair more important that location. If people know that you are ALWAYS stocked, they will go to you first....no matter what. I know personally I'd even pay a tad more just because. Price on siege is tricky. I know I wouldnt want to spend my entire UO career making potions. And let's face it, people do have gold and will buy you out just for their convince and lack of competition.

It may be be in your favor to advertise on stratics and in general chat your shop AND......to take special bulk orders for people who use alot of potions. The understanding the shard should have is that what's on the vendor is mostly for people in a pinch or new to the shard. If that's the case, location becomes a prority.

I'm not sure what your start up funds look like, cuz as you said, everything here is 3x what it would cost on prodo. I'd would be willing to donate you 5k bottles to help you get started if you were truly serious about starting a vendor

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much it you spent to get to 70?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Find someone training poison and make different levels of poison. I don't remember it being that expensive. Also gathering regs around Vesper will help

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much it you spent to get to 70?
No idea on the total cost but I can supply all the kegs you need to put your training potions in. If you work and lack the time to go through the reagent vendor stock buildup and buying hours I'll camp in front of the computer for a day and do it for you.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I work 40 hrs over the weekend, but in turn I get 4 days off. Thanks for the offer. I will by some Kegs from you though.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I work 40 hrs over the weekend, but in turn I get 4 days off. Thanks for the offer. I will by some Kegs from you though.
I just put 20 empty kegs in the skeleton in front of Landreu's front door. Location is below my sig.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mine Sand Make Bottles, not the most exciting thing in the world but it is the cheap way. Use green thorns for regs, open as many clients as you can and give each toon 100 thorns. Have three of the toons with necro and a horde minion to pick the regs up. I use 8 clients open and poke 8 thorns every 2 minutes after a few hours you have many thousand of each reg and defeat that annoying 2 minute timer on thorn planting. Any bare dirt patch will do for reg farming, so just use one near your house and dump the full minions pack into a crate on the porch when they get full. Rot train other skills in 30 seconds-1 minute between cycling through the clients. Ya'll didn't think I grew those 4,320 green thorns every plant cycle to do vorpal bunnies did ya :) If you don't have enough accounts to pull a lot of regs fast as a friend to help out and split the regs 2/3 :1/3 if you are supplying the thorns. Since you are attended when each toon performs a action and not running a script to do it for you, it is legal.

For necro regs farm the undead guardians at the entrance to the underworld in the hall of kings or whatever it is called and pick up some undying flesh and silver serp skins in the doing. They DROP A LOT of necro regs and are much easier to kill than liche lords.

Buy the kegs unless you like making them. I have found most buyers prefer bottles put in comod deeds over kegs, but if you are going to take that route MAKE the bottles or the expense of buying them will take a good portion of your profits.

And finally I use the heck out of pots in PvM with as much enhance potions as I can get on jewels. Greater Explosions can be quite destructive, Invis pots are priceless, greater cures are a must fighting certian critters like Yamadons that like to drop the poison on you. Handy to run greater heals and cures when T hunting as well if you take the hits from the chest. Annoying when you get over weight and don't want to drop anything so hit a greater strength to gate home. Pots are very under rated in PvM tossing greater explosions into mobs with high enhane pots is very effective. Tossing pots on pirate ships is to :) and you can keep a steady stream of them flying with last object, last target macro :) PvPs hate shatter pots :) and a fear or tar pot can buy you the few seconds you need to escape. But yes some of us use pots like a bandit in PvM to great effect.

If you want to try the green thorn trick, I will be happy to hand a 1000 or so. I grew way more than I will ever use.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
You sure are a true farmer Tyrath. Many new Siege players do only have 1-2 accounts and they may not have necro on any of them.
But if you combinate the use of green thorn with running around Vesper picking up regs or with digging up sand between planting green thorn, it may help.
Still I wish we got 5-10 bottles from a pile of sand. It's not really worth the time and time is money too.

Last edited: