• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to open a locked Secret Chest?

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recently purchased a secret chest and the previous owner locked it
I am assuming. How do we open these if we are unable to get a hold of the
previous owner.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
previous owner.
Never had or used a secret chest, but my first guess would be the unlock spell or lockpicking...

But as I have never had or used one of these I admit am uncertain if they function differently than regular containers.

Last edited:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never had or used a secret chest, but my first guess would be the unlock spell or lockpicking...

But as I have never had or used one of these I admit am uncertain if they function differently than regular containers.
They have a combination lock.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes that they do it's only a 4 number combination really shouldn't be that hard to crack.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lock it down in your house and you can open it and change the combination

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lock it down in your house and you can open it and change the combination
Tried that, no go.

MalagAste
And it has 5 slots, so breaking the combo is going to take a long long long long time. I know there has to be a way to reset
it. Just have no clue how, and watch it be a simple thing.

But I do thank you all for the suggestions. Might just end up being a deco piece and not storage. :(

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried that, no go.

MalagAste
And it has 5 slots, so breaking the combo is going to take a long long long long time. I know there has to be a way to reset
it. Just have no clue how, and watch it be a simple thing.

But I do thank you all for the suggestions. Might just end up being a deco piece and not storage. :(
Keep a list and do a little each day. You'll eventually get it that way even if it takes time. I'd suggest trying the very basic 1-2-3-4-5 or 1-1-1-1-1 or so on to start...

Also, if you have it locked down or secured in your house, check to see if there is a context menu on it.

Last edited:

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
previous owner.
Try locking it down and left click and select reset combination in the drop down menu. Or if that doesn't work, then you could try asking a GM to reset it for you?

Also, just so others may be aware - if you set a SC to locked with a combination and then xfer it to another shard without taking the lock off. When you get to the other side, it continues to be locked and loses the option to reset or change the combination. It's still usable if you know the combination, but you can't ever put it on a vendor because it's a locked container. I have submitted a bug report about this and also reported it to a GM - so far I have not had any response.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
previous owner.
5 Number combination... I'm going to assume there's 10 possibilities for each of the 5 slots.. so there are 10^5 Combinations.. aka 100,000 combo's. Just start at 0-0-0-0-0 and start counting up to 100,000 heh. I have no idea how the interface functions but I'd think you could crank that out in a few days if you wanted to!

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try locking it down and left click and select reset combination in the drop down menu. Or if that doesn't work, then you could try asking a GM to reset it for you?

Also, just so others may be aware - if you set a SC to locked with a combination and then xfer it to another shard without taking the lock off. When you get to the other side, it continues to be locked and loses the option to reset or change the combination. It's still usable if you know the combination, but you can't ever put it on a vendor because it's a locked container. I have submitted a bug report about this and also reported it to a GM - so far I have not had any response.
This is exactly what the problem is. Have tried all the options so far listed in this thread. Guess I will wait
to see if it ever gets fixed or eventually guess the combo.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The chest is account bound to the setter(and other characters on that account) of the combination. A little fiddling and learned you only have 3 cracks at the missing combo each day per account. So if you have 3 accounts, that would be 9 tries per 24 hours. If you are really unlucky at cracking codes, it could take over 304 years! The characters on the account who set the initial code can reset the code (which unlocks the box), or edit and set the code. Anyone who has an unlocked box can also set/edit the chest. Get all your friends on each of their accounts to try and crack it every day, and you might get lucky!

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A little fiddling and learned you only have 3 cracks at the missing combo each day per account. So if you have 3 accounts, that would be 9 tries per 24 hours. If you are really unlucky at cracking codes, it could take over 304 years! The characters on the account who set the initial code can reset the code (which unlocks the box), or edit and set the code. Anyone who has an unlocked box can also set/edit the chest. Get all your friends on each of their accounts to try and crack it every day, and you might get lucky!
Trial Accounts ! LoL... But that's A LOT of work to crack it if you only get 3 attempts a day sheesh!

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
previous owner.
We had same issue a while back. It ended up with contacting mesanna, gm's cant help. So, you must email [email protected] and get her to help you.

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
does a transfer clear the combo?
No it doesn't and also as you can see from my previous post, if you xfer a box and it has the locking code active, then when you get to the other shard you are xfering too, it loses the option to reset or set a code. Not a big problem if you already know the code but, you can't ever put it on a vendor because its classed as a locked item and you can't vendor these.....

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
I had many many many situations like this, You need to page a GM or email mesanna
A lot of times GM's will say that they cant do that and If they do, write down their names and give to mesanna, because they ARE supposed to fix, they know how!!

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
No
what i want to know is why we can't buy these from the EA store. are they only for sale in the Asian store?
Japan Store closed about 1 year ago, the Only Secret Chests are the ones available in game

Hit me up, I decided to sell my Secret Chest Collection, I finally got 100 of them!! But Now I decided again to sell!!!! and go for the next project!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The chest is account bound to the setter(and other characters on that account) of the combination. A little fiddling and learned you only have 3 cracks at the missing combo each day per account. So if you have 3 accounts, that would be 9 tries per 24 hours. If you are really unlucky at cracking codes, it could take over 304 years! The characters on the account who set the initial code can reset the code (which unlocks the box), or edit and set the code. Anyone who has an unlocked box can also set/edit the chest. Get all your friends on each of their accounts to try and crack it every day, and you might get lucky!
What a rip off. I'm not paying good money for something anyone can hack in 304 years.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I never understood why they gave it a lock in the first place.....if you set it to "owner only" in your house only you can open it, so what's the point of a number lock? Seems like it will only harm the owner who forgets their own combination, or people who bought one like this thread has mentioned.

I have one, and it's a cool box, but the number lock part just seems pointless to me.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I never understood why they gave it a lock in the first place.....if you set it to "owner only" in your house only you can open it, so what's the point of a number lock? Seems like it will only harm the owner who forgets their own combination, or people who bought one like this thread has mentioned.

I have one, and it's a cool box, but the number lock part just seems pointless to me.
I think the idea was you could have say 2 people on your friends list but only the friend with the combo could open the chest.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a rip off. I'm not paying good money for something anyone can hack in 304 years.
Dude, we'll all be DEAD in 304 years LOL! So don't sweat it cause it's not like you'll be here to care anyway. Okay if you are here then you'd be a poltergeist and you could just fry the shiitake mushrooms outta their computer! ROFL

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought they were intended for secure third party shard transfers. But then if anybody can just page a GM and get it reset it isn't secure anymore is it?

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
per Mesanna, one of the reasons for the secret chests was for roleplay. personally i like them because i can see more items in one view.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Dude, we'll all be DEAD in 304 years LOL! So don't sweat it cause it's not like you'll be here to care anyway. Okay if you are here then you'd be a poltergeist and you could just fry the shiitake mushrooms outta their computer! ROFL
What are you the Angel of Death? I might make it!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally have a couple of these. I honestly like them more for deco than to actually use. However when you bought them they came with a lengthy warning about setting the combination as if you did anyone could figure it out and take what's inside.

Honestly I've never had an issue with that... but then I don't put anything in them that is important... I suppose if someone wanted to steal it then they can have fun trying the code for the next year or two.

Fingers

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No

Japan Store closed about 1 year ago, the Only Secret Chests are the ones available in game

Hit me up, I decided to sell my Secret Chest Collection, I finally got 100 of them!! But Now I decided again to sell!!!! and go for the next project!

Whatcha asking for each / a few / several?