• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to improve current story arc.

S

sirrojen

I think it would help if raiders spawned more frequently, being forced to arrest rioters is the kind of WORK that makes me personally feel like a loser for doing it. Like i should be doing something that is actually fun with my time. I like killing mobs and i could probably farm raiders for a couple of hours without it ever feeling like mind numbing work. If the mobs can't just be set to spawn more frequently ie if a gm has to spawn them, put something in place for us to spawn them. It could use existing art, and since calling in raiders is bad for the city, by doing so it could/should lower your loyalty with that city.

To anyone who does not like raiders in there city, I suggest you pay protestors and arrest rioters for a couple of hours and tell me if you think that is a fun way to gain loyalty.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I think some of them should resist arrest. So, basically they would turn red and attack you. Killing one that resists arrest should give you the possibility for an artifact, sash, cloak or robe, maybe even a hat, I would say with high luck and excellent mods.

Each time you turn one in there should be rewards depending on who you have brought in. There should be a level of cash, gp, 1,000 up to 1 million, randomly happening. Also, an item could be given when you bring them back as a reward or part of the reward.

There should be a bulletin board that you can check that tells you where the reds are and there should always be at least 2 to kill. So, you can check the board to see where they are or you can just look around town. You would not be able to arrest these guys. They would resist arrest and simply try to kill you because you are not for their cause.

If you were to get someone with the million gold turn in, it could also raise your loyalty to the city with a bonus. So, the more gold you receive the more loyalty you would receive.

When you kill the red raiders they would have Shame loot as well as the arties with the possibility of relics and good loot. There should also be some type of rare, new item added that you can only receive if your loyalty is maxed, a blessed item that tells of your loyalty, something unique with your name and a date. Perhaps, a choice of one of the arties but with only this added feature.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The raiders did have Shame-quality loot. We just haven't seen any since the EM-run siege on Britain, at least on GL.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole arc is designed around grind rather than fun. The halloween event with the crystals was fun. Devs you need to make sure there is fun involved. Double clicking fires and trash is not fun. Recalling to your favourite bank or arcane circle to be ganked by uber npcs with poor loot is not fun. Make it fun!

Z

Zyon Rockler

Yes more fun but I was trying to say it might add to the purpose to add gp.

Now if it was ment to be a gold sink they could have an option to accept the gp or let the guard keep it being tax of the ppl.
So if you let them keep the gp you would get even more points to the titles and max rewards.

Also you could earn gp, you would have a choice so it would be up to the player not the system as to if you use gp or show how you need no rewards for your deeds.

thos are the basics for me the fun part would be out side that box.

To me things have to stay with doing other things like if I hunt spawns I can make x gp in so much time, So in doing event for x time I can Make same. So doing ether or dose not effect what I would normally be doing only the mian goal would change.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think raiders are spawned by shard EMs, that's why we only see them from time to time.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think raiders are spawned by shard EMs, that's why we only see them from time to time.
I've been thinking this as well.

While I like GL's EM (so no slight aimed at them) this was, if true, an awful decision. Raiders need to be spawned by the servers, that way they can appear frequently and not based on an EM's sleep/work/recreational schedule. Right now, barring a few die-hard click-fest lovers, Act I is dead.

Cyanide_Mage

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My biggest issue isn't with the grind, its that the whole thing is predetermined and we really have no say or influence into which direction the arc takes. For those who do events on multiple shards you remember the event in which such and such stole or was given the explosives from Ter Mu, after we thought the city was cleared we apparently *missed* the kegs on the bridge to Blackthorn thus resulting in the bridge being blown up.... No matter what you did the outcome was the same on ALL shards. What the Devs/EMS shoulda done was once at the bridge a super uber mob would have spawned, if dropped within a certain time frame the bridge would be saved thus leading the shard down X path for the event, if the mob held off the plays then the shard would go down path Y. Doing something like this would allow the players to have a feel that their actions truly have an impact on the game, as of right now I just attend the events for the potential monster drop and that's it due to the fact we really have NO say in which direction these ARC's take.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see a tweak to the decay system. I get it from an rp perspective. If you are some sort of hero in a town, then maybe they'd start to forget about you if you didnt show your face around town for a while. But from a game mechanic perspective, we need to give folks better reasons to log in than maintaing a decayig points system. It doesnt take long for systems like that to turn from an incentive to a liability.

Id like to suggest changing decaying points systems to have a sort of self imposed soft cap for excellerated gain. Say turning in a rioter gave you "1 point" of loyalty, and you have turned in 200 of them for 200 points. Your soft cap for accelerated gain would then be 200 points since 200 points was the most you ever gained. You take a 3 month break and lose 100 poitns to decay. When you start playing again and turning in rioters, you would get an 10x accelerated gain untill you reached the 200 point soft cap for accelerated gain. So instead of turning in 100 rioters to get back to where you were 3 months ago, you only need turn in 10. Once you reach your soft cap, point gain would return to normal and rioters will only give you 1 point of loyalty. Then if you continue to work loyalty to 400 points (turn in 200 more rioters), your new soft cap would be moved to 400 points.

So you still recieve the penalty of decay. You still have to do the initial work, but you can take a break from the game, or just from that quest, without worrying about losing all your hard work. These quests are appreciated. But keep in mind there are many other things for folks to do both in and out of the game.

W

Woodsman

Doing something like this would allow the players to have a feel that their actions truly have an impact on the game, as of right now I just attend the events for the potential monster drop and that's it due to the fact we really have NO say in which direction these ARC's take.
The problem is that this arc leads to the anniversary, and they are on a tight schedule. Based on the last 6 months, at most they will only get two more publishes in before the anniversary, and the anniversary publish would be included in that. So they've got to stick to the script. If they are doing a lot of anniversary work, they wouldn't really have time to develop branching stories (this shard wins at this event, this shard loses at this event, etc.).

Realistically, this arc should have started last year, but there was too much going on. Then again, I guess this is a continuation of the last story, since Queen Dawn's death leads into all of this. I was reading the article on UltimaCodex.com about how they think the story arc is going to end with, or have something to do with, the EC coming out of beta and high resolution graphics being released, but man we are talking all of that within two publishes. "The Awakening" as the name of the release/expansion (like "Kingdom Reborn") sort of works. They had a point that it's been a dark story - Queen Dawn dying, the rioters (they claim the rioters are the players themselves :gee: ), and that something big and good has to happen in the end.

S

Sevin0oo0

the rioters are the players themselves, and that something big and good has to happen in the end.
thanx, I'd forgotten that part. But look at the mood of community over the past many months, they're armed and dangerous, and mad as hell. More and more are standing up saying Enough is Enough! The grinds, the 50K HP mobs, the Where's the Fun??? Will the rioters get fed up and all drink the Kool-aid, we'll see.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are only spawned by the EMs. Some EMs are asking good areas to spawn them others...

S

sirrojen

If the sonoma EM reads this, trinsic never has enough raiders even when raiders are up :)

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few things that could have made this arc better (and make future arcs great):

1) A single voice for the fiction, a minimal amount of characters
Right now, when we get a new piece of fiction, we have no idea who the characters are going to be or if we will ever hear of them again. It’s great to bring in the old Ultima characters for name recognition and all, and I encourage their use, but they should really be the ones whose eyes we see the action through. Random nobles or commoners can be used to give another aspect of an event, but throwaway characters have little emotional resonance – even if they die horribly. We need to be invested in our characters if we are to care about the fiction. New fictional characters should still br created, but if they don't die, lets hear from them again where appropriate (and use them in future arcs).

The voice of the fiction is also important. I laude the attempt to round robin the stories with the EMs, if that is indeed what is happening, but there needs to be one person (who knows what they are doing) with a red pen to ensure the style and quality of the output remains consistent. (Having said that, I reiterate that these pieces of fiction are significantly superior to the dreck crapped out during the Virtu Bane arc.) Nothing worse then to have "minor details" or characterizations change from story to story (we've ripped authors to shreds for this before).

2) In game events (non EM-run)
Learn the MMO definition of “grind.” Learn the MMO definition of “fun.” Create less of the first and far, far more of the second. If, while creating a static event, you wonder if the activity will bore your players – it will (rioters, fires/garbage, grave robbers, sifting. clickfests = bad).If, while creating a static event, you wonder if the mob you just created with 6 special moves (including 1-hit kills, teleporting players to it, eating pets whole, obnoxious pyrotechnics that crash clients, etc) and 60,000 hps might just be considered annoying (especially when needing to be killed over and over) tone it down. Quality over quantity in relation to time spent. (If a player who only has a few hours a week to play can't really participate enjoyably, you have a major problem.) Do not create content for max skill, max stat, max geared, vet players on a regular basis - those are peerless.

Think about creating quests similar to Helga’s brew recepie. It changes components and locations randomly through each iteration. You can keep little bits of the quest items – players like this – they do not like timered quest items. (It’d be nice to display a ‘pristine crystal lotus’ or an ‘exotic tool kit’) Create quests that require a bit of exploration and knowledge about the land in which we "live," without being heavy-handed or a bore. “Fun, fun, fun!” is what you’re striving for. (Good examples of event quests: Royal Council murders, Halloween 2009, Ricardo’s lantern/Warden-Ranger of the Abyss, Act III: p2 (Nexus puzzles))

3) Player-driven Endings
This is the hardest, but also the most important. The ball was completely dropped with New Magincia. We were assured by Draconi that the outcomes of the Rift Guardian battle would determine what would happen to individual iterations of New Magincia. Facets which won the battle were to have New Magincia be a town of Humility. Facets which lost the battle would see the isle become a hellscape lost to the daemons. Instead, we got the misbegotten lovechild of a trailer park and a mini-mall.

Players want to have the feeling that their actions matter, look at EM events as a prime example. Some EMs set conditions in which an event is “won” and thus their arc goes in one direction, if the event is “lost” it goes in another. Players like this. They affected something more then what they wore, how their house looks, or how much of an ass people think they are in general chat – they changed their world, made it different… Even if that change is only cosmetic or fleeting. It mattered. It was fun.
Large metafiction events should have the ability to change a shards somehow based on the player actions or inactions (within reason, and mitigating for intentional griefers). People would eat this up. Coding it, however, would most likely be difficult – but the payoff would be worth it. Purely static, “well duh!” endings that we see coming from a mile away does little to draw people into the fictional world.

Prime example: Virtue Bane. We knew this was leading up to New Magincia, but we also knew with 100% certainty that no matter what we did, New Magincia was just a publish away. The fact that we humiliated him with “humble pie” was just lipstick on a pig, a fairly obvious slapped on last-minute ending. Couple that with the realization that he got away after killing innocents, starting wars, etc its just rubbing salt in the wound. Yet another baddie not really dealt with, how Virtuous of us.
One possible way of achieving this goal would be to create a map file for each shard, or for the changes at the very least. No need to download every shard’s map to every subscriber – allow them to choose which they download in the new patcher (yes, a limit on which shards they could then log into might need to be set – but that they could easily overcome that by downloading the appropriate map(s)) Ra’Dian Fl’Gith was the one who brought this up one night, I’m sure he could expound upon the idea at great technical length.

In essence, strive for driven, consistent fiction, and above all else make sure what is being coded for publish is FUN!

T

Tazar

I think that the biggest change I'd like to see is less things for the individual and more things for the group. I've noticed my guild working town loyalties, etc with each person doing their own thing instead of working as a group/team. We need things that pull together the players into interacting groups.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that the biggest change I'd like to see is less things for the individual and more things for the group. I've noticed my guild working town loyalties, etc with each person doing their own thing instead of working as a group/team. We need things that pull together the players into interacting groups.
Only problem with that, is with this Team we get the sheer obnoxiousness that is the Night Terror in Ter Mur. o_O

T

Tazar

Only problem with that, is with this Team we get the sheer obnoxiousness that is the Night Terror in Ter Mur. o_O
I was thinking more like the lever puzzle in doom or other team-oriented things - without the teleport you to death in a difficult to reach place aspect. lol

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking more like the lever puzzle in doom or other team-oriented things - without the teleport you to death in a difficult to reach place aspect. lol
That would be nice!

Even a random component quest for a group would be nice, something non-combat sometimes so other templates could participate.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I agree the raiders should not only be allowed to be spawned by EM's, but should also have some type of auto spawn. Something like after X number of rioters are arrested a raid happens on that town. This would also prevent towns which do not have current activity in it from having a raid, and prevent threads that are griping about such and such town being raided too much. I know it is a pain to have a char unable to gate and have to spend hours walking all over to gain loyalty, but killing raiders would be less time involved. Then again maybe they have already planned for the raids to increase in number later in the story arc.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think there have been raiders on GL since the first week of April when we did the big "Britain is Burning" 'splodey event. Even before that, I'd only seen them twice other than EM events. When I did fight them, as a mage, I was annoyed that they weren't Repond. :(