• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to get the right small BOD's

P

portcontrol7

Hi all ,

Fairly new to smithy, got up to 93 skill tonight.

Anyhow, I have a lot of large BOD and have not found ONE small BOD that fits into any of them. For example I have 3 large Fencing BOD (iron, normal, 15) and I can't seem to get anything that fits it. I have some platemail ones that require smalls with 10 items but I end up getting smalls with 20 items... Is there a secret to finding the right ones or is it all just a luck game?

G

well it all random when you get them from a npc

what you need are a few bod books (you can store up to 500 bods in each book, but 500 bods= 125 items on you character or bank box) from either a players vendor or you can make them if you have a character with inscription on them.

the bods books should not cost you more than 500 gold each. Buy a couple start saving them, go through them about once every other week. fill what you can. and over time you get what you need. You can also seek out other players vendors some people sell bods on their vendors, just look for bod book and try to open them, it there is a price next to the bod you can buy them.

also I use this program to help sort them when I not in game:

http://www.onlinegametrader.net/%7Enystul/nystulsnotebook/index.html

it will tell you the reward for every bod in the game.

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

You used to be able to buy them form someone but bods seem to be getting rarer and rarer for sale. I haven't seen any weapon bods for sale in a long time. So unless you lucky it will just take time. I figure it will take me several years to get the smalls for the large weapon bods I have now.

E

eolsunder1

You also have to figure out if bods are worth the effort to fill out and make. There are many bods which I simply throw in the trash because the end reward isn't worh fiddling with.

For instance. weapons bods now I fill to turn in and get quick returns on new bods. Id rather fill normal bods for this since bought weapons are cheaper than the ingots used to fill exceptional bods.

Some bods I consider just a waste of time and money filling.

For instance..

A 20 except shadow bod. like shield or female plate, etc. You get a dull copper hammer from it. Big whip. The amount of shadow ingots you need to use to get the bod filled exceeds the price of the hammer if you simply bought it. 200 shadow ingots can fetch you 6k on the open market pretty good. I wouldn't fill these bods with anything at anytime.

Platemail normal Lbod for POF, or chance of gloves/picks/shovels. Worthless. A single dull copper exc bod can get POF, why was all the time, ingots and skill making tons of platemail (or even buying from the store). I'm going to buy 10-20 of 6 pieces of platemail for a chance at a mmm +5 mining gloves? I don't think so.

Some bods just in terms of time and cost aren't worth doing. Thankfully now that low end runics work decent, the ones that were on the fence at worthlessness are now somethng that many fill now. But still many others.. bla.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, you're off on that iron plate analogy - at least for the 20-parter (90% powder, 10% +5 gloves, no chance of tools).

Let's see

20 pieces of each armor, that I can get smithy gains from if not 120 yet if I craft. Otherwise, I can fill them with junk from corpses as I hunt.

Zero material cost (30-60 minutes of mining's iron left over when digging for colored ore, or just fill with loot) and a 90% chance of getting POF, and definitely getting back a decent gold payout.

I'd do it in a heartbeat - though I wouldn't keep more than one small of each at any given time. In fact, I just got a POF from this very BOD, from materials on hand, this weekend (I had the small bods on hand, got the large, and happened to be training one of my lesser 70+ BOD runners up toward 120 for more colored bods at the time, so made the plate instead of a lesser training item, like circlets).

Now, doing a DC or shadow normal large for a POF - that's a waste. But when you can slow-fill a BOD over time with junk, that's an opportunity.

G

filling bods from junk looted off corpses? Are you kidding?

I would take you about 7000 years to get a decent item.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You must not hunt often, or loot often when you do.

Would probably take me less than a week to fill it, doing t-maps, SOS and normal fighting - much less if I went and farmed skeletal knights (probably a couple hours that way). Heck, fishers fill footwear BODs all the time (and to a lesser extent, skullcap BODs) just from fishing up pre-chest junk and the byproducts of fishing. One night, after fishing up 20+ SOS, I had 2 chests with enough iron armor & weapons (that I'd saved to recycle) to get back over 1000 ingots, and potentially could have used the stuff to half-fill over a dozen small 10-count BODs had I gone that route.

The easy way is to just BUY the parts from an NPC for about 75% of the gold the BOD pays out (less if you collect a few plate pieces hunting), for a 90% chance at a POF. You can't NOT make a slight profit, if you get gloves as the worst case, and have the potential for a 70-120k payout selling the powder, depending on the shard.