• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to get better loot when hunting

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have tried that AND beating it with a stick. Neither work.

On a side note,does anyone remember when ettins were scary?
Ettins... Nah. But an Orc Mage?? They could burn your a** down. I have vivid memories of the only way I could kill one was to get it stuck in a fire field along the side of the house...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Use a pet GD.
Done 200 green thorns to train one up so far and for some reason the loot is always better than when I train Throwing on same Vorpies with other char in a Luck suit of +1000.

Not coincidence any more....unless the GD has +2000 luck or something...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The RNG hates me... so I don't think that will work...

It is still my opinion that every game no matter what you play has a RNG and in every game the moment you register your account you are given a "randomly generated" luck score... This luck score will determine whether or not the RNG favors you or is against you... Say you start and account in UO..... You are given a random score now this score might be positive, negative or neutral... If it's negative then everytime the RNG rolls for you to get a drop this negative number will apply to the drop chance... So your drop rate will be FAR lower than most other players. If you have a neutral luck roll then when you get the roll for a drop you have a fair chance to get something.... but if you are like my old friend and your luck number is positive then every roll you have adds a bonus so your drop rate is MUCH higher than anyone else and you will seem exceedingly lucky to everyone else.

You all know those people that have a positive luck... and I'm sure many know someone who just can't seem to catch a break. Sometimes I think this score is somehow tied to your computer... and quite possibly that it effects all games similarly. My other thought is that it's very rare to be given a positive score way more rare than being given a negative score.

I also further believe that this is some sort of unknown scale so like the "max" might be 200k... positive and 300k negative... and you could fall anywhere in that scale. So this would effect you in such a way that it might even be possible to NEVER be able to roll high enough to get certain super rare drops.

NO amount of prayers to the RNG or anyone else can change that. IMO.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tend to agree with Mal. I think characters in UO get an RNG value associated with them upon creation... And some seem to be far more common in whatever algorithm UO uses.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I've already largely quit looking at item loot. Maybe I'll look at the jewelry and hope to see a cleanish SSI piece (I never actually find any) but general item loot is worthless unless you're fighting one of the like three worthwhile bosses in this game.

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The evil RNG does seem to get stuck at times - last week I was getting Cooking and Begging pinks galore (5 and 3 respectively out of 18 total). Today it was Herding (3 out of 6 for 2.3 total points). At least with Halloween approaching the Begging ones may be worth something....

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The RNG hates me... so I don't think that will work...

It is still my opinion that every game no matter what you play has a RNG and in every game the moment you register your account you are given a "randomly generated" luck score... This luck score will determine whether or not the RNG favors you or is against you... Say you start and account in UO..... You are given a random score now this score might be positive, negative or neutral... If it's negative then everytime the RNG rolls for you to get a drop this negative number will apply to the drop chance... So your drop rate will be FAR lower than most other players. If you have a neutral luck roll then when you get the roll for a drop you have a fair chance to get something.... but if you are like my old friend and your luck number is positive then every roll you have adds a bonus so your drop rate is MUCH higher than anyone else and you will seem exceedingly lucky to everyone else.

You all know those people that have a positive luck... and I'm sure many know someone who just can't seem to catch a break. Sometimes I think this score is somehow tied to your computer... and quite possibly that it effects all games similarly. My other thought is that it's very rare to be given a positive score way more rare than being given a negative score.

I also further believe that this is some sort of unknown scale so like the "max" might be 200k... positive and 300k negative... and you could fall anywhere in that scale. So this would effect you in such a way that it might even be possible to NEVER be able to roll high enough to get certain super rare drops.

NO amount of prayers to the RNG or anyone else can change that. IMO.
For it to work that way they would have had to design it that way, which they didn't unless they did and decided to keep it a big secret in their public explanations of how luck works. Things like that don't just... happen.

It only makes sense that some people appear to have the worst luck and some people appear to have the best luck, because that's how it has to look. If you have 1000 people rolling a die 100 times then adding up the total, there WILL be a person who got the best rolls and the best total, and there WILL be a person who had the worst rolls and the lowest total. Or at least a tie for best or worst. Unless everyone gets the same result it literally cannot happen any other way. It's still completely random.

Combine that with a lack of info (not knowing how many times a person had to roll the RNG to get that cool item, not knowing if someone is telling the truth) and selection bias (one putting more attention value on ones bad luck or the good luck of others thus skewing your view of the results) and it only makes sense.

That is just life in a game with an RNG. You can't expect anything else.

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But wearing a High Luck suit is supposed to increase the odds of getting better results from that same RNG.
From what I can see, wearing the very expensive luck suit makes zero difference to loot dropped and often impacts negatively with the better loot dropping from NOT wearing any luck items at all.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But wearing a High Luck suit is supposed to increase the odds of getting better results from that same RNG.
From what I can see, wearing the very expensive luck suit makes zero difference to loot dropped and often impacts negatively with the better loot dropping from NOT wearing any luck items at all.
There are a couple of fundamental issues about itemization that put limitations on the potential impact of luck.

1) No item loss means that items pile up, ad people are constantly upgrading to a piece that's a TINY bit better, so, since items have limitations, eventually the range of items that are "good" is small, and the range of items that are "elite" is minuscule.
High luck can't give you much help getting those top end items because if it did... then there would be no more top end items to chase. Power creep is one of the drawbacks of no item loss, and randomized items.
2) Items can spawn at max with no luck. Items dropped, properties and intensities all have hard caps that luck wont break. When you hit the limit on any of them it could be chance or it could have been a luck boost or both. It's hard to tell luck's impact as the game gives you no feedback on that score. I honestly would kind of like it if when you got a luck bump on an item it would simply come in a random special color... the you would know luck worked, and on what item. Plus new rare colors to chase. :p
3) Going along with my first point, what constitutes a good item is limited, and only as subjective as the market allows. Many properties are generally garbage, and items without a certain property profile (I guess you could call it) are generally just unravel fodder. So you could get a luck boost get all max stats, and still have a worthless item. In fact that is usually the case.

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they could change the colour of the bones on the 'corpse container' from the blue'ish hue we have now to a golden hue if Luck worked on the loot generated?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they could change the colour of the bones on the 'corpse container' from the blue'ish hue we have now to a golden hue if Luck worked on the loot generated?
Any tangible feed back would be nice IMO. I just picked colors cause I know people love collecting funny colored items. :p