• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to fix your UOAM

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks,

I heard this question the other day in General Chat and figured I'd lend a hand. I have helped many of my guildmates fix this problem although I haven't been nearly as successful at fixing their other problems. *sigh*

1. Download UOAM and Map Files

Because UOAM is no longer updated, downloading UOAM off their website will give you an incomplete UOAM.

Instead, the nearly complete Map files and program can be found on the following website:

http://xeonlive.com/uoam/

2. Install UOAM

Follow the instructions after double clicking UO Auto Map Setup. I can't really be of much help here. The setup file will be inside the Winrar archive that can be downloaded at the above link. Please note which directory you will be installing UOAM to. When prompted to let UOAM run once, let it do so.

Click Start UO Auto-Map, and then OK to close it.

3. Replace Map files with those in the archive

Inside the Winrar archive is a folder named UOAM. Inside this folder are the complete map files you will need to get UOAM working. Take the contents of this folder and place them in your newly installed UOAM directory, which should be something like C:\Program Files\UOAM. Replace the installed UOAM.exe and register.exe with those in the archive.

If you can't handle this, ask your 8 year old neighbor or any person of Asian descent. I hear they're very good at this kind of thing.

4. Start UOAM.exe

Double click on UOAM.exe to get the ball rolling. Before you click Start UO Auto-Map, head to the settings and change it to update only once a day.

UOAM will inform you at some point that map files need to be rebuilt. Ignore this. Set all the sliders to 0.

5. ???

You should now have the handy UOAM working. Unfortunately, you will most likely also have a black screen which isn't very useful.

Because UOAM is no longer updated, the program no longer finds the default Ultima Online directory, which used to be at C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online. You will need to reset this yourself.

After getting UOAM started in all its black-screened glory, click on the "Map" option and slide down to the "UO client data files location..." and click on that.

A small menu will pop up. Uncheck "Have UOAM locate client data files for you".

Below that, in the box marked UO client folder, set the directory to where you currently have Ultima Online installed. This will differ for everyone based on your current copy of Ultima Online. Your Ultima Online is probably located at a directory like C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss.

After changing the directory, click OK. Restart UOAM if you have to.

6. Profit!!!

Enjoy.

Questions? Did I miss something? Let me know.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks,

I heard this question the other day in General Chat and figured I'd lend a hand. I have helped many of my guildmates fix this problem although I haven't been nearly as successful at fixing their other problems. *sigh*

1. Download UOAM and Map Files

Because UOAM is no longer updated, downloading UOAM off their website will give you an incomplete UOAM.

Instead, the nearly complete Map files and program can be found on the following website:

http://xeonlive.com/uoam/

2. Install UOAM

Follow the instructions after double clicking UO Auto Map Setup. I can't really be of much help here. The setup file will be inside the Winrar archive that can be downloaded at the above link. Please note which directory you will be installing UOAM to. When prompted to let UOAM run once, let it do so.

Click Start UO Auto-Map, and then OK to close it.

3. Replace Map files with those in the archive

Inside the Winrar archive is a folder named UOAM. Inside this folder are the complete map files you will need to get UOAM working. Take the contents of this folder and place them in your newly installed UOAM directory, which should be something like C:\Program Files\UOAM. Replace the installed UOAM.exe and register.exe with those in the archive.

If you can't handle this, ask your 8 year old neighbor or any person of Asian descent. I hear they're very good at this kind of thing.

4. Start UOAM.exe

Double click on UOAM.exe to get the ball rolling. Before you click Start UO Auto-Map, head to the settings and change it to update only once a day.

UOAM will inform you at some point that map files need to be rebuilt. Ignore this. Set all the sliders to 0.

5. ???

You should now have the handy UOAM working. Unfortunately, you will most likely also have a black screen which isn't very useful.

Because UOAM is no longer updated, the program no longer finds the default Ultima Online directory, which used to be at C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online. You will need to reset this yourself.

After getting UOAM started in all its black-screened glory, click on the "Map" option and slide down to the "UO client data files location..." and click on that.

A small menu will pop up. Uncheck "Have UOAM locate client data files for you".

Below that, in the box marked UO client folder, set the directory to where you currently have Ultima Online installed. This will differ for everyone based on your current copy of Ultima Online. Your Ultima Online is probably located at a directory like C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss.

After changing the directory, click OK. Restart UOAM if you have to.

6. Profit!!!

Enjoy.

Questions? Did I miss something? Let me know.
i was about to hump your leg Ken but ... alas it also says 2 of 6 files and will not run without them, it tells me to try again later. Although a friend says she has the files and is sending them to me now. We both running win7 , she said it worked for her regarding your link so we know your link works. Not sure why it only allowed me two of six files though and she got all six.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's always going to only allow 2 of the 6 files to come through. The map files are in the archive hosted on that site.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's always going to only allow 2 of the 6 files to come through. The map files are in the archive hosted on that site.
copied files as instructed but
i get black screen and when i try and point it to this:
C:\Program Files(x86)\EA Games\Ultima Online 2D Client ... it stays black.
it's ok, i'm giving up as this is the problem i had trying to enter si map. Si was nice and tried to help too, thanks for your time SK.
cart does the same thing and links people just as uoam does, why do people even use uoam ?

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
cart does the same thing and links people just as uoam does, why do people even use uoam ?
My version of UO Cartography doesn't show town labels etc like UOAM does. Have you figured out how to git the darn thing to show labels? Otherwise I think its a good tool.

Thanks.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I switched to Cart when I couldn't get UOAM working and I hate having to re-label everything. :(

I'll try UOAM again, on Windows 7 64 so nothing works like it used to.... Thanks for the directions, SK!

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm using Windows 7 x64 too with 6gb of RAM. Works fine for me.

If needed, I'll host my map files on uploading.com as I did for my guildmates. Let me know if people want me to do that and trust me enough to use my map files.

I also know of a way to dummy the map files so that it never updates at all; I did it on my old Windows install but I haven't been bothered to replicate it with my new Windows 7 install.

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whew...holy cow finally found it on page 10...why the heck isn't this stickied!?

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found a better way to do it that includes the Stygian Abyss maps. No need to sticky this, PM me.

C

Chango of Baja

OK for uo cart here are things to do.

Below is the link to labels. Just unzip them to the install directory.

http://uocartographer.com/Beta/UOCMapAdditions.zip

next the latest version of .NET Framework 3.

found these bits of info on the main uocartographer thread. ALSO make sure you are running the most current version and the person hosting the server.

hope it helps

$ The Jackal $

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i figured this out, sk forgot to mention that part
That's said a lot for Mr snuggles. :) Was funny hear him on vent when he did this,he sound like a school girl that just met Justin beaver for the first time. Lol Miss you guys hope to be back online. The free wifi im using off & on for now, it's just not stable enough for the game. :(

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Is there an update to this? I've recently returned to UO and I cannot get Automap to work. I followed the OP's instructions step by step but still get a black screen and when I try to calibrate, Automap locks up. Is Automap still usable? I'm running Windows 10.