• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Ships] How to efficiently gather cannon resources?

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a way to consistently farm saltpeter and whatnot to make black powder? I tried killing the gate trolls in shame and the drop rates are too slow for me. I realize i can buy it at sea market but holy cow! That stuffs expensive! It just seems to me that there has to be an easier way. I mean in order to adequately stock up supplies for cannons would take several million gold and the return doesn't seem worth the effort, in my opinion. I just got high seas and was really looking forward to going pirating but I find myself a little frustrated with the lack of available resources. Anyone have any ideas?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It does take time. I think this (pirating) is one of those things you have to really enjoy doing to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can also buy the king's collection theme pack. The ship painting produces heavy powder charges. I have found it very helpful.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow thanks everyone for the responses. Never tried mining anywhere other than fel. From what I have read, ilsh as a whole is considered a dungeon and you have to be mining from a ship or in a dungeon to gather the saltpeter. And I will try out the kings collection as well. Ty for all the good advice.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My favorite Ilshenar mining areas are Valor, from the edge of the Cyclopean Warriors, moving back towards the moongate, mining around the moongate, and continuing down the mountainside to the river. The only hazards are (initially) a cyclops or titan wandering too far afield, then as you get near the moongate, a possible elder gazer if it chased someone toward the moongate.

Elffin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mine Saltpeter from Fire island in Tram... Is it possible to mine it anywhere?

Elf

onion456

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
i figure this is an appropriate thread to past this, altho i spose its a bit of a necro post, forgive me =)

i really got my saltpeter mining method down pat now. i was having tremendous trouble finding any- sometimes as many as 10 dungeon runs, beetles full of ore and no saltpeter. i was getting very discouraged.

then i read on UOguide, that for GM miner (not sure how much that matters), if saltpeter is present in an 8x8 resource square, the GM miner will find it immediately.

so i changed my tactic- instead of mining a spot dry hoping that saltpeter will pop at some point, i only tap each spot once. no saltpeter? move to a new spot. tap. repeat. i confirmed that if saltpeter is there, it will pop immediately. i now pull in 3-5 niter deposits for ~500 saltpeter per dungeon run.

another nice benefit to this tactic is that you can pick and choose to keep any colored ore. tap... valorite? mine it dry! totally changed my mining method.

i mine in covetous, the first half of lvl1 is non-agressive. harpies and vampire mongbats will leave you alone unless you attack em. there are gazers in the back half tho that are agressive.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boat mining gives good saltpeter returns as well..