• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how strong is rp in uo?

O

orcenborn

hello,

i would like to know how many people in uo actually roleplay, and how many don't like it. can someone estimate?

T

Tazar

Wow... that's a difficult question. It seems to vary heavily depending on shard and/or guild. I know it seems very healthy on Atlantic.

B

Beastmaster

True RP is very dead in UO. That being said, there are those that profess to be RPers, but I find they can't stay in character more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time. With game play being so heavily item dependent now, it's a constant quest for the best items and RP has to take a backseat in the trailer with the long tongue hooked to the back of the extra long bus climbing the steep hill.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RP is fairly strong on Europa however compared to previous years on Europa it has certainly declined, but it's still quite large!

B

Babble

Depends of your definition of roleplay.
Pac man is a roleplaying game too :)

UO is the best mmo for roleplaying.
EA though does not cater too much to roleplay.

As for numbers, my guess would be that the number of people playing UO for the roleplaying is under 10%.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Before LA opened, I was heavily into RP on Great Lakes. Loved it. Miss it.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'll reconfirm Tazar and Mapper's assessments: RP participation varies from shard-to-shard, but strong RP communities exist on both Atlantic and Europa.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Communities can be found on Baja, Pacific, Catskills, Atlantic, Chesapeake, Great Lakes, Lake Superior, Europa, and Siege Perilous. Origin has a roleplaying guild starting but I don't think there is much IC activity outside the one group.

Of course the themes and activity level vary from shard to shard. I'd estimate that each of these shards average between 20-50 people. There are about 40 unique players spread across the Baja Roleplayers Alliance; and some would consider us a smaller shard.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great Lakes has a small (relative to its height) but thriving RP community.

Europa has the RP reputation. Always has and likely always will.

RP's numbers have appears to me to have gone down in proportion with the game's player base decline, and appears to me to have bounced back on those occasions when the player base has bounced back. It last-suffered out of proportion with the player base in the year following Age of Shadows. There's lots of potential reasons for that. But as far as I can tell since then it's been declining or rising in proportion to the game itself.

One thing that's important to me, however, is the degree to which people who don't call themselves RPers engage in RP or RP-like activity. There's a fair amount of that on GL, which is nice. I can't speak for the other shards.

-Galen's player

F

Fink

Oceania RP is very scant.

Most of our "high-profile" RPers have either moved on to other shards, other games, or they simply don't play very often. I'm not exactly high profile in that I don't stand out. Most people don't realise I'm roleplaying.

I'm not the only one left, although sometimes it feels that way.

S

siyeng0

I'm a dedicated RPer, and I play on Baja. The prevalence of the RP community seems to have deteriorated slightly over the past few months, but that seems to often be the case with the American shards during the summertime (I'm in Australia, where we don't have anything that could be classified as a "winter", so I'm not very familiar with the concept of needing to get out in the sun while it lasts.)

I'd recommend Baja to anybody looking to RP in a fairly small, close-knit, and friendly community. We always seem to get much livelier toward the end of the year, and we're at that comfortable sort of size where we're large enough to maintain ourselves, but still small enough to appreciate and benefit greatly from new members.

M

Merci d'Rue

Let me start by saying Hello, new to these boards, and love UO. No place else seems to allow the amount of customization that you get in UO which is really important to RP. That being said, Atlantic rp is alive and well.

I volunteer my time to help coordinate events ect for the ARPC so I know that we are starting to ramp up in activity!

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europa RP is still strong. There are still big guilds around like Guardsmen Militia, Baronship of Cove, Vesper and Duchy of Trinsic, and many other smaller ones.

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atlantic is most definitely alive and well. And we've taken in quite a few from other shards as we have increased in size. It's good people, good storylines and a lot of fun!

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True RP is very dead in UO. That being said, there are those that profess to be RPers...
Elitist much? Any RP is better than no RP.

Great Lakes has a small (relative to its height) but thriving RP community.
Yes it does :) And we always welcome new people to try it out. We have weekly gatherings every Monday and Wednesday, and tend to have a strong presence at EM events.

Our website and forums are found at: http://gl.uorpc.net

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Elitist much? Any RP is better than no RP.

Yes it does :) And we always welcome new people to try it out. We have weekly gatherings every Monday and Wednesday, and tend to have a strong presence at EM events.

Our website and forums are found at: http://gl.uorpc.net
That we do. *smiles*

S

Sergul'zan_SP

True RP is very dead in UO. That being said, there are those that profess to be RPers, but I find they can't stay in character more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time. With game play being so heavily item dependent now, it's a constant quest for the best items and RP has to take a backseat in the trailer with the long tongue hooked to the back of the extra long bus climbing the steep hill.
This.

Specialshoes

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to think that RP is getting a resurgence on pacific. It would seem that the two groups I play with (SAGE and T.F.) have been picking up a member or two a week for a few weeks now. Not to bad for a summer lull. On our tavern nights everyone makes a real concerted effort to stay in character. I personally do try to keep the personalities of my characters different.