• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How should WoW end? How should any MMO end?

Muckbeast

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a really thought provoking article on WOW.com recently:

Breakfast Topic: How should WoW end?

A satisfactory end and a party would be a lot of fun, but I would like to see a darker conclusion to all of our efforts. What if we become so powerful, that we are like titans ourselves? The ensuing battle is one glorious free-for-all resulting in a cataclysmic event ending all life in Azeroth as we know it. Boom! Game over.
The article makes an interesting comparison to possible WoW endings, and the way Tabula Rasa Ended.

The End of Tabula Rasa - Server Shutdown Event

Anyway... something to think about.

How should WoW end? How should MMOs end in general?

S

stevencarter258

I don't think that MMORPG will come to end coz nowadays millions of people are into playing MMORPG. One of the example is WoW. The survey shows that almost 12 millions subscribed WoW alone worldwide. Correct me if I'm mistaken but that's what I've heard.:danceb:

S

Shari

The Sims Online ended. But you could look at something like Everquest which is still going even though EQ2 has been out for years.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Sims Online ended. But you could look at something like Everquest which is still going even though EQ2 has been out for years.
I don't play WoW but to my knowledge...there is no WoW II? So, how would this be similar?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think that MMORPG will come to end coz nowadays millions of people are into playing MMORPG. One of the example is WoW. The survey shows that almost 12 millions subscribed WoW alone worldwide. Correct me if I'm mistaken but that's what I've heard.:danceb:
I'm not sure, but over 16 million people play Lineage II. Most of those are in South Korea however.

S

Shari

I don't play WoW but to my knowledge...there is no WoW II? So, how would this be similar?
I didn't say it was similar, but showing one that ended and one that didn't. I don't really care about wow or how games I don't play will end.

T

TheCookieFamily

I think they should turn the server off that's it.

M

Monkeybear

August first is a bad date for games. First TSO now Matrix Online.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because 2 games within 2 years have ended on that date. I've never played Matrix Online.
Interesting I suppose. I would find it to be a more significant figure if say 10 or 20 online games ended on that date. Two is by chance...don'tcha think?

B

Bud_Weiser

I am just waiting for EA to pull the plug on UO. It NEEDS to die.

That being said, with WoW announcing another x-pac, it's not going anywhere soon. To bad about TSO tho, I beta tested that game.

They should have a server event for games that end. Except UO. (Yes, I hate UO).

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as they figure they can make a descent profit, the game will keep going. Seeing how Warhammer backfired on what EA thought they would do, I don't see it going anywhere.

That said, it is in their hands. If they backfire the expansion, they will lose more people. If it is done well though, they will in fact gain back some of their former player base.

A

Anrymeel

I think all the games are a reflection of real life with some fantasy interspersed. I really enjoy the PVP aspect of the game and swear there is no other game that offers great PVP other than our beloved UO.
With all the talk about WoW ending or UO ending, there is a lot of anxiety. What would replace it? Many have played alternate games and keep coming home to UO. You may start playing when you are 12 or 16 or 24 and find yourself divorced and still playing at 26 and 42 or 62.
The ‘GAME’, whatever your choice, is very compelling and addictive and as players love to be the ‘best tailor’ or the ‘best Fletcher’ or the ‘best pvp’r”, as we would in real life love to excel and be the best at a skill or hobby or profession. AND we have spent almost the same amount of time ‘working or training’ our character to a set level in order to be able to make the best armor or weapon or be the best PVP’r – to the point that some feel it necessary to use cheats or hack in order to get to that level faster OR just be what they think is the ‘best’, which reminds me of politicians regardless of what part of the world you live in. I think if the game was set up a little better hacking wouldn’t happen and the skill levels could be attained legitimately and then maybe the best man would win for real?
It’s that ‘cheating’ or scripting part of the game as well as the ‘make real life gold selling UO gold’ that irritates me the most. And also when new developers start changing ‘our world’ and not according to our suggestions, that disenchants us and I’m sure make many quit in total frustration. The ‘messin about ‘ with skill stats and armor quality is too frustrating, as well as the cheats. Not easy nor fair to try to kill reds in Fel who have hacked the game to make them faster or pot faster.
In essence, if there were no cheaters or hackers, everyone has a chance to become the best, depending on skill levels and how adept they are at the game. In my mind that also sounds like real life? We are all born into a world with the same advantages (more or less, that’s another argument) and the best man/woman wins. Why can’t they leave well enough alone, fix what they want in Fel and kick the hackers?
And may it NEVER end! :thumbup:
It sure beats TV!

quadspeed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Trix ! couldnt agree more! i just got legendary tailor without cheating ! enfo got it in 2 days! Why would i want to pvp against ppl who got clear advantage fom cheating!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Trix ! couldnt agree more! i just got legendary tailor without cheating ! enfo got it in 2 days! Why would i want to pvp against ppl who got clear advantage fom cheating!
Did you mean to post this in this thread?

That said, cheating in MMO's is sometimes why some of them end. How sad.

quadspeed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cheating is rife in felucia ! which is where ppl get all best stuff ! im ten years on game , only time i ever go is to do a fel treasure map ! and that not happened for long time! if the good stuff was easier to get , then it wouldnt be valuable ! and we would all be able to craft our skills ! i think the good scrolls for fel should be scrapped ! if not fel completely !
i only have a 1 meg con and old comp , so i couldnt compete anyway ! i just like the game! so ppl with fast cons and up to date comps can be better anyway even without good stuff !still doesnt stop me soloing lv 6 t maps ! my chrs have paid up to 20 mill for a 120 magery scroll , that the cheaters in fel get easily ! this is not right ! luckily after ten years it dont matter, but it doesnt help new players , as 1 player i bought the game for said - " I could never even hope to compete even at a low level " as i said b4 it took me 2 yrs to become legendary tailor ! wassa point in cheating - its a game !

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cheating is rife in felucia ! which is where ppl get all best stuff ! im ten years on game , only time i ever go is to do a fel treasure map ! and that not happened for long time! if the good stuff was easier to get , then it wouldnt be valuable ! and we would all be able to craft our skills ! i think the good scrolls for fel should be scrapped ! if not fel completely !
i only have a 1 meg con and old comp , so i couldnt compete anyway ! i just like the game! so ppl with fast cons and up to date comps can be better anyway even without good stuff !still doesnt stop me soloing lv 6 t maps ! my chrs have paid up to 20 mill for a 120 magery scroll , that the cheaters in fel get easily ! this is not right ! luckily after ten years it dont matter, but it doesnt help new players , as 1 player i bought the game for said - " I could never even hope to compete even at a low level " as i said b4 it took me 2 yrs to become legendary tailor ! wassa point in cheating - its a game !
I dont follow here. What are you really trying to say here?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe it is a public plea for punctuation lessons.
Thanks. It is called spelling, not punctuation. The error was noted.

Anyways, in staying on topic, I think it is difficult overall in a player "deeming" how a MMO should end. MMO's are generally run by huge corporations with a lot of money. And...given how most corporations are, once it does not suit them any more they scrap it. Whether it is a product, an idea that is not working, or they are not making enough money. Corporations generally speaking...do not care about people.

B

Bara

Thanks. It is called spelling, not punctuation. The error was noted.
No, I wasn't talking about you, nor spelling. I was talking about quadspeed's punctuation.

I was refering to his misuse of ! It was really consistant ! How he ends every sentence with a space then an exclamation point !

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, I wasn't talking about you, nor spelling. I was talking about quadspeed's punctuation.

I was refering to his misuse of ! It was really consistant ! How he ends every sentence with a space then an exclamation point !
Sorry I misunderstood. Yes I completely agree.

M

Milky12

I fully agree with this.The article makes an interesting comparison to possible WoW endings, and the way Tabula Rasa Ended.

Regards

Albert

___
Pret immobilier

M

Merik

I am just waiting for EA to pull the plug on UO. It NEEDS to die.
*kicks in the butt* No it doesn't.

Wow will be around for Many many years. I wouldn't expect it to shut down for atleast 10-15years.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One asset and advantage that keeps people paying for UO is the housing feature. I know some people who haven't played much UO for years but are still paying for it just because they don't want to lose their lockdowns or their home, even if they know they aren't going to play for another year or so. If I wanted to take a break, normally in most other games I would unsubscribe and knowing I can later return with the same account and save some money, but with UO, that's no-no when I already got a house full of worthy lockdowns since 2001.

When UO first launched, the idea of 10,000 subscribers would have been considered a goldmine, a time when an MMO wasn't intended or expected to be a huge industry. Today, any MMO not to reach over 10,000 subscribers, it can break them.

I think UO will stick around for a while, considering the recession we are going through in real life, UO is still trucking forward despite all that too.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think UO will stick around for a while, considering the recession we are going through in real life, UO is still trucking forward despite all that too.
As are most games that have a reliable and/or developer with some money.