• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How should EA handle cheaters once found?

S

Stewpid

No. Speedhacking is exploiting. So no it is not acceptable. I actually did get an update from the engineers on 3rd party program detection as well as movement .. before I speak out of turn or give an update on either let's wait a couple days for the publishes ... this week. :)
So are we 96% of the way there then?

U

UOKaiser

The problem is Cal just about each server has people that are using real hacks,
I am going to try to explain this..
1)
Xbox Live i'm sure alot of people love playing some of the better multiplayer games, Halo, CoD, GTA, so on and so on... What happens when someone comes on with a oo I don't know modded controller that can shoot 20 shots a second while you are stuck shooting one or two? or in UO terms mods their client so they can run thru bagballs, boxes, graves, pretty much anything said faction base guarders put up to help them inside a faction strong hold?
2)
OR another example your playing one of those games on live your shooting at some guy standing right infront of you, unload a whole clip into his skull but wait he's not getting killed BAM! he fliks the lag switch pops up behind you with a knife and kills you! UO terms some nebby 10 year old chick knows how to use a speedhacking program and almost seems to be teleporting infront of you wacking you with some crap club to death!

Wow thats great, when it happens in UO we get a canned message sorry bud nothing we can do blah blah blah everyone knows the message. Yet on Xbox Live these people get their Live account BANNED.
You try to login to say a CS,L4D,BIO,F2, heck any Steam games server and there are no messages that say anything it just kicks you off the server. EQ, EQ2, WoW, won't allow you to login either (so I have heard).

Modding a client does go against the EULA I don't care what your lil post says.
What you programmers need to do is sit down for a day or so NOT THREE YEARS! and figure out what you can do SERVER SIDED to figure out if someone is running mods. It could be as simple as making a database of every blocked location inside a map file if a clients location is on a blocked location that should send up a red flag.
Speedhacking would be a bit more tricky to do server sided but if UO can stay alive for so many years I think that it can be done. If worst comes worst at the very least you can do a client side check and just disconnect the client every time the program is detected.

>
Weird is 1) is actually against xbox policies? I don't have a xbox but wouldn't that be the same as having a g-13 keyboard and nice gaming laser mouse on a pc than having a old bulky keyboard and 2 button mouse? Anyway if they ban the accounts in UO there be no more UO we know that at least half of Uo uses external programs not approved mainly because EA stop approving programs in late 90's and the other half all cheated somehow if it was just a tactic of avoiding being hit. And all have broken the TOS and ROC in one way another during there UO times even though most of them in there mind sees ok to follow some rules but ignore the others. So yea It only takes a couple thousand bans to shut UO for good. Especially if each one of them have multiple payed accounts.

Just let me know when this start happening so that I can get ready for the inevitable shutdown of Uo because of reduce profits. Will start slow with price hike and server closures but this will anger the remainder of the base with no new players coming it will eventually die out.

You know what the weird part is. If you look at the numbers when the hardcore real money sellers left for more popular games and ebay stop sellin virtual goods our subscription numbers dropped so much they didn't want to announce it no more. This was right after aos when Uo was trying to keep up with the new games. Ebay shut down it's virtual operations some time afterwards. It was like a chorus of emptyness that ran through Uo. Coincidence maybe, still one can't help wonder.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm ok with the way EA handles cheaters now except for the targeting system needs work; we should be able to target house signs, vendors, specific items and even a spot on the ground if need be.

From what I understand an account has to break the rules mutiple times to get perma-banned.

In my opinion everyone EXCEPT dupers should be given a warning the first time or two that they break a rule so that they can correct their behavior.

I'm ok with having to page on the same account a minimum of three times (so it seems) to get them banned if they continue to break the rules.

G

GL_Seller

So 95.1% Cal u are really good at coming up with ways to say soon, its on the radar, or we are working on it.

They have been saying this crap for years. I especially like the zero tolerance policy they released when they burned the luna houses down. If you played uo u would know that since that time cheating/hacking have multiplied so much that now if u banned all the cheaters the game would close.

As for the one who said they like the way ea deals with cheaters congrats because the cheaters love the way they deal with them to. Which is NOTHING.