• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How NOT to fight a Turkey

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#1 Bad idea Do NOT provoke them on each other, both of them area attack everyone. You might not die, but theres no reason to take all that damage.

#2 Bad idea Melee I saw a guy die 20 or 30 times. I don't really understand people that have been killed 15 times and they run up and do it again.

#3 Bad idea, and this is probably the worst idea is to summon an ev. It should be the number 1 bad idea really. My son got summoned every time the ev hit the turkey. The turkey didn't kill the ev, and it didn't kill my son. He was yelling "Thank you for all this defensive wrestling the whole time." Seriously, it summoned him 12 or 14 times. He finally got it dispelled.

#4 Bad idea Don't stand in a house door and shoot it. It will pull you out of the house over and over.

These things are not hard, but bad tactics can make it hard.

K

Kiminality

Actually, provoking them is probably the best tactic.
The double area damage is a negative, but there's a bunch of positives that I'd say outweighs the negatives.

They tank each other, which is a plus.
They damage each other, which is another plus.

S

Sweeney

If you think it's a bad idea to summon an EV, you're doing it wrong.

If you think giving advice on what not to do is a good idea, you don't know enough.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
#1 Bad idea Do NOT provoke them on each other, both of them area attack everyone. You might not die, but theres no reason to take all that damage.
Go alone and stand beyond the AOE. My composite bow has enough range to avoid the AEO spell altogether. I've killed eight turkeys tonight and never been in any danger.

Discoing and provoking is #1 best idea.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

They Earthquake while fighting, its not specific to Provoke, Earthquake has a range of around 7 tiles, other spells are 10 or 11, if you know what you're doing it its a good option. Also just because one guy dies 20+ times does not mean its difficult, it means he probably had a bad setup or didn't know what he was doing. They are very easily joustable for melee dexxers, I've killed one with mine and I know others have too.
#3 is right, the more pets/summons/ticks of damage (bleed/strangle/poison) hitting it the more chance of you getting teleported.

So far Mind Blast (Which is Cold Damage - their weakest resist.) has not caused me to be teleported once. Neither does Wither or Hail Storm.

Edit: Actually...
#4 isn't specific to houses, any ranged weapons will cause the teleport, so do some spells... not 100% sure on that, but I expect its the same as other creatures that teleport you to them.

2nd Edit:
Plus you can hear when they're going to EQ same as Rikktor & Stygian Dragon.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best way I'd found so far is still provoke. Just stand far away enough so that their damaging aoe attacks don't damage you.

The non damaging aoe has longer range but does no damage. Just makes it so you can't move at running speed. Like one of the peerless' special attack.

The range for the damaging aoe is in fact 2 tiles shorter than spell range. So once they have been provoked, just mana dump on them. Wraith form for mana leech works pretty ok even if you don't have ss. And because their attention is on each other, they won't switch targets and aggro you. At least until they redline and start trying to move away from each other.

They also don't teleport you to them if you don't use summons to damage them or are on an unreachable tile/house.

Try to maintain both turkey's hp levels near to each other so that you won't end up with one dead and the remaining one at 50% hp (you'd have a hard time killing it then).

Then WOD them.

Yes, I do all the above with my 4x120 bard mage weaver. For the person that mentioned that bards can't do it.

Edit: weakest resist is cold, followed by energy. Use mindblast for folks with no eval. If your mage has eval, use lightning and ebolt.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Second best tactic is 2 sammies that can still fit healling and cross heal (cast curse weapon if situation gets dicey).

Or a single warrior can joust as mentioned above.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta agree on provo ftw. 52 turkeys today, first 3 with friends, then rest solo. stand a ways back like an experienced bard and wallah. and it only takes 480 points. hmm still think bards get snafu.
Btw how bout giving bards that cacophony slow movement and casting thing the turkeys have?

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Provoked them on TC numerous times (never died once & not a full 70's suit either). Took a hit or two but no real damage, possibly 30 to 37 hit from one a pop. Sure it took a few tries, but they provoked rather easily I think.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Btw, I am glad that I finally have a chance to use my full bard.

I built him years ago for soloing doom. But coz there are lots of folks in doom when I play, both my bard tamer and stealth mage was doing way better. So he got left on the shelves for a while.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you think giving advice on what not to do is a good idea, you don't know enough.
How many did you kill today?

How many people here today killed over 100? Let's be honest here. I'm not only going to kill more than you are. I'm going to kill more than you can imagine...

I wonder how many people fell dead tonight at my feet as I went about my normal business.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Btw, I am glad that I finally have a chance to use my full bard.

I built him years ago for soloing doom. But coz there are lots of folks in doom when I play, both my bard tamer and stealth mage was doing way better. So he got left on the shelves for a while.
I love bards. We have 3. I guess if I were alone in the wild and I had to solo one its not a terrible idea. But, tonight on atl in Moonglow the bards were getting people killed. It took us a while to figure it out, but basically the turkey we weren't attacking was attacking everyone I guess with Earthquake.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta agree on provo ftw. 52 turkeys today, first 3 with friends, then rest solo. stand a ways back like an experienced bard and wallah. and it only takes 480 points. hmm still think bards get snafu.
Btw how bout giving bards that cacophony slow movement and casting thing the turkeys have?
52 is a lot...

S

Stupid Miner

#2 Bad idea Melee I saw a guy die 20 or 30 times. I don't really understand people that have been killed 15 times and they run up and do it again.

#3 Bad idea, and this is probably the worst idea is to summon an ev. It should be the number 1 bad idea really. My son got summoned every time the ev hit the turkey. The turkey didn't kill the ev, and it didn't kill my son. He was yelling "Thank you for all this defensive wrestling the whole time." Seriously, it summoned him 12 or 14 times. He finally got it dispelled.

#4 Bad idea Don't stand in a house door and shoot it. It will pull you out of the house over and over.

These things are not hard, but bad tactics can make it hard.
Er... actually pretty much all of those are good tactics if used correctly (except maybe EVs)

And perhaps a better tactic than watching a fighter die a dozen times is try to heal him every once in a while. (unless of course he's completely worthless)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We got a nice group together I Discorded and provoked.... then we stood back and hit it with EB's... seemed to work fine.

I

Ivorythorn

Yes, the area affect attack is a pain, but archers are helpful in the group tactics. The first time I fought a turkey was with one other guild mate. I died several times, and we got it down to 24%. Then he had to leave. So, I melee him alone on my Paladin. Took me almost 3 hours. I died several times. I used everything i could think off. Explosive pots, greater conflagrations, well and I tried several different weapons, but eventually I killed it. LOL I only got a map fragment, and the loot. It was a lot of trouoble so I took everything, even meat and feathers. The next two times I did it, was with a mixed group of guild mates, and others. Went much faster and I only died once. The trick on a melee character in a large group with ranged attacks is to hit and run, and try to not be near it when it uses the area affect attack. All in all, great fun, and I didn't have any trouble finding the nest. Probably do it a few more times, just not by myself.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IE: Do not fight a turkey when you're a ninja archer mage and can smoke bomb every time you cast an EV without taking any damage at all.
That's the tactics I use for my stealth mage against sicarii, narvey and the spider champ.

0 damage when you smokebomb when he pulls you over.

But honestly, because the turkeys can be provoked, using bards have a definite advantage here esp if you are a scrouge like me that wants to save on smokebombs :D

And you can mana dump with impunity!

S

Sweeney

That's the tactics I use for my stealth mage against sicarii, narvey and the spider champ.

0 damage when you smokebomb when he pulls you over.

But honestly, because the turkeys can be provoked, using bards have a definite advantage here esp if you are a scrouge like me that wants to save on smokebombs :D

And you can mana dump with impunity!
I'll agree with you.. bard has the benefit.. but I don't like a poseur coming along pretending he knows all there is, saying that summoning is useless.

The op doesn't know ****.

Bards may be best, but they're not the only benefactors.

S

Splup

Hmmh... We took a huge bunch of turkeys and provoced em all... Then took our distance so they'r EQ doesnt hit. Works fine.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dealed with my archer on a turkey for around two hours, hitpoints finally were down to 1/3. And then the thing despawned!!!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dealed with my archer on a turkey for around two hours, hitpoints finally were down to 1/3. And then the thing despawned!!!

That just made me think of something, from the 2hr timer, the amt of hp, and the fact that legendary disco only does reduces it by 5% instead of 28%, the turkeys are based off the peerless templates.

I wonder if we can get set arties or crimmies from them...probably not...someone would have said it by now.

Would have also been nice to still have moongrass, I'd bet it'll allow me to finally go into balron form! (I didn't want to use my yellow crystals).

D

deraiky

Then this guy was incredible stupid and pretty bad equipted.. Since thats probably the best way to do it..
I can EASILY hit for around 80-201.. If discorded/corpsed 120-201...
You dont even need a lot of heals...
It will die in like 5 mins...

Its lowest resist ist Poison as far as i know.. so bring a rune beetle...

G

Green Mouser

How many did you kill today?

How many people here today killed over 100? Let's be honest here. I'm not only going to kill more than you are. I'm going to kill more than you can imagine...

I wonder how many people fell dead tonight at my feet as I went about my normal business.
WOW! Who is the real Turkey here? I have found killing 8 of these things more then enough. The challenge is sub par (ty Pendulum (my bard)) and the reward is very lacking.

The rewards from the halloween event were much nicer. It was nice to see that the previous Dev team thought out this event for us.

I do hope the new Dev team is given the resources and opportunity to keep giving us events.

But for you sir, if you are going to waste your time killing over a hundred of these things you can have one month of my subscription fee if you will go outside for a moment and realize there is life.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Would have also been nice to still have moongrass, I'd bet it'll allow me to finally go into balron form! (I didn't want to use my yellow crystals).
I got Balron form once from Parragon Cu Sidhe corpses though it didn't work on the next attempt.

P

Prince Caspian

However, if you lead one near a private house, and stand around the corner, the birdie will just stand there and you can fire arrows at it all day.

Of course he's gonna hit you with the sonicgobble, so you need to heal up every 90 seconds or so. And you'll need prolly 800-1000 arrows.

The only hard part is the turkey will run away when it gets to around 10% and this won't work any more. But then you can stick and move pretty easy.

Warning: the sonic gobble does NOT weaken as the turkey does. It still hit me with a 60hp owie (with all 70 resist) when it was at deaths door.

P

Prince Caspian

But for you sir, if you are going to waste your time killing over a hundred of these things you can have one month of my subscription fee if you will go outside for a moment and realize there is life.
Ermmm, yeah. Even under the best of cirumstances from what I picked up from AllianceChat, it takes a good 10-15 minutes to drop one of these thing. It took me near 20 minutes.

If you killed 100, either you are exaggerating or you were playing Ultima Online from sunrise to sunrise. And given how mind-numbingly boring it is to fight these things, I can't possibly see why.

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That just made me think of something, from the 2hr timer, the amt of hp, and the fact that legendary disco only does reduces it by 5% instead of 28%, the turkeys are based off the peerless templates.

I wonder if we can get set arties or crimmies from them...probably not...someone would have said it by now.

Do you think disco is different on these guys that Disco is on Peerless? The resason I ask is with peerless when you disco them you get a message that it shrugs off some of the effect. No message when you disco the turkey.
BTW, that shrug message from peerless is COMPLETE BS. I discoed Lady Mel and then lored her, she lost 1 in each resist and max .5 to 1 in skills. 240 skill points for that??? Come on Dev's, make it worth my time!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
However, if you lead one near a private house, and stand around the corner, the birdie will just stand there and you can fire arrows at it all day.
Bingo. This is how a mage or archer can take one out solo.

Sir Kelek

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another bad way of attacking a Turkey is running up, and hitting it with flamestrike! :flame:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An archer can take out a giant turkey solo by walking it in a big circle for about 35 minutes and then chasing it for another five to ten minutes. 'Tisn't worth the waste of ammo or time, though.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
An archer can take out a giant turkey solo by walking it in a big circle for about 35 minutes and then chasing it for another five to ten minutes. 'Tisn't worth the waste of ammo or time, though.
But while you are walking, the turkey is regenerating health. Much better to hook on a building, as noted above. An archer can kill a discoed turkey with one quiver. :thumbsup:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Did you really do that Tina? Your patience and tenacity amaze me at times.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
But while you are walking, the turkey is regenerating health. Much better to hook on a building, as noted above. An archer can kill a discoed turkey with one quiver. :thumbsup:
That tactic just seems... lame.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That tactic just seems... lame.
:(

Well, it's the fastest, most efficient way for an archer to solo a turkey, lame or otherwise.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* Just my opinion.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You should troll more often, Kelmo - loosen up a little, let it all out. :p

:D

K

Kallie Pigeon

Things have changed overnight LOL they can move fast now LOL and escape buildings