• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many of you make a living off of selling UO stuff?

Do you sell UO stuff for cash?

• Yes, I sell UO stuff and live like the king of Ph4t l3w7z

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes, I sell UO stuff but cab barely pay my public restroom toll

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes, I sell UO stuff and use it to buy WoW stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I sell UO stuff and make enough to pay off my bail bonds

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trebr Drab

How many of you make a living off of selling UO stuff?
And do you live well?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your poll asks a question Do you sell UO stuff for cash?, and you left off the answer: No.

T

Trebr Drab

Your poll asks a question Do you sell UO stuff for cash?, and you left off the answer: No.
Oh? It just didn't occur to me that we might need that one because of very low results.

By the way, Devs are welcome to take part in this poll, as are Stratics "volunteer" staff.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Although I wouldn't mind doing so, unfortunately, since I do not have a Luna house and do not script or otherwise exploit, the income for attempting to play the RMT game with UO would be a complete waste of time.

Maybe a new online game upcoming will provide a better oportunity, I'm keeping a lookout.

I'm not against RMT, however, the market in UO unless you can provide a TON of stuff constantly is so depressed in terms of real monetary value to not make it worthwhile for most people.

Basically, to make it work for the legitimate player (assuming they farm up the goods to sell themselves) would require for all exploiting to be quashed, the economy to be COMPLETELY rebalanced and then the "reset" button pressed to start over from square one. THEN there has to be an actual MARKET in which to sell said items.

T

Trebr Drab

Although I wouldn't mind doing so, unfortunately, since I do not have a Luna house and do not script or otherwise exploit, the income for attempting to play the RMT game with UO would be a complete waste of time.

Maybe a new online game upcoming will provide a better oportunity, I'm keeping a lookout.

I'm not against RMT, however, the market in UO unless you can provide a TON of stuff constantly is so depressed in terms of real monetary value to not make it worthwhile for most people.

Basically, to make it work for the legitimate player (assuming they farm up the goods to sell themselves) would require for all exploiting to be quashed, the economy to be COMPLETELY rebalanced and then the "reset" button pressed to start over from square one. THEN there has to be an actual MARKET in which to sell said items.
It's your lucky day! Do a search for UO gold and you'll see that selling items can be quite profitable. Heck, I just did and saw some really sweet profits for SA items.

Heck, you can get 10 plus bucks for the better powerscrolls. Now if only UO can find a way to boost the activity there, eh?

F

five oclock

you can make money off of UO junk??? :p

back in the day..when a million gold was worth alot of Real life money..and of course power scrolls and so forth..I knew a few people who did sell the stuff. Me, never had the time or the patiences or the money to buy pixle crack :D I figure its 12 bucks a month..and Im enjoying it..thats enough for me...

Tho my wife did get me the necro furinture and the haunted painting a few years back..BUT that came from UO not a private seller..so I dont think that counts :D

as for your survery..I answered for I like the bail bonds answer :D LoL.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh? It just didn't occur to me that we might need that one because of very low results.

By the way, Devs are welcome to take part in this poll, as are Stratics "volunteer" staff.
very low results? i've played this game for 10 years and have never sold a thing in game, if buying and selling items for cash was illegal, id be like 100x richer than everyone in game

F

five oclock

very low results? i've played this game for 10 years and have never sold a thing in game, if buying and selling items for cash was illegal, id be like 100x richer than everyone in game
Me too...I think we need to have a Shard Yard sell...All the junk I have collected over the years :D

A

Aristillus

Heck, you can get 10 plus bucks for the better powerscrolls. Now if only UO can find a way to boost the activity there, eh?
It always seems to come back to powerscrolls with you doesn't it?

Just because someone is selling....doesn't mean someone is buying.

And did this post of yours imply that you think devs and stratics staff are in on this mega bucks marketing plan to fleece UO of it's billions.....sounded like it to me.

T

Trebr Drab

It always seems to come back to powerscrolls with you doesn't it?
Nope.

And did this post of yours imply that you think devs and stratics staff are in on this mega bucks marketing plan to fleece UO of it's billions.....sounded like it to me.
Oh heavens no! No way. Who in their right mind would ever see a correlation like that? You wound me! Wash out your mouth.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Actually, I make a living as an alchemist (of sorts) working in a chemical lab conserving recovered shipwreck treasure... UO had more effect on my current job than college did... how's that for weird?

Any online gaming RMT activity would simply be a little extra cash (if I pulled it off).

EricVT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a little money back 10+ years ago when a million gold was worth $75 or more but lately it would be impossible.

Even at a generous $1 per million now, I would need to sell the equivalent of 300 million a week in gold and items just to match a minimum wage income.

Pretty sure it would take more 40 hours a week of playing for me to do that and it would not only ruin the game for me it would also prove to be a fairly unrewarding job.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but if you're not going to have a "no" option then don't ask the question "Do you sell for cash?" and list only yes. Instead it should ask "How do you sell for cash?"

I'd be willing to bet the results for "no" would have been far greater than you excepted. I've played for nearly 10 years and haven't sold a thing.

So I vote: No.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've probably made $1-2k off UO stuff over the past ten years. Put it all toward my vices.

I'd probably kill myself before trying to make a living off UO however.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "pros" with websites are the 2 search sites and also the many websites that you can easily find using Google. This is for 1/3rd of all subscribers as the majority of subscribers are in Asia.

EverQuest2 did a study and found that the average account (as opposed to a player, who can have multiple accounts) spent about $46/yr. Now some people here are saying there are 70,000 to 120,000 active accounts, so UO RMT would be potentially almost $4,000,000 to 6,000,000 per year, of which $2,000,000 to 3,000,000/yr would be outside Asia.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Never made a dime off selling anything..... because I've not sold anything.

Infact it's extremely rare when I sell anything for UO Gold either.

Self sufficiency, that's what I prefer.

And I give most of what I don't need away or keep it and give it to the community.

I think your poll is a bit flawed.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Rules of Conduct:
P. Player to player transactions selling in game virtual items for real life currency are prohibited from being promoted or advertised on our network.

Status
Not open for further replies.