How is uo doing?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
M

maroite

No new players. Plenty of old players on some servers.

Some servers are completely barren at certain times.

BUT

The EM events and the publishes have still been coming, and have been good imho, with a few exceptions.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 23, 2009
No new players. Plenty of old players on some servers.

Some servers are completely barren at certain times.

BUT

The EM events and the publishes have still been coming, and have been good imho, with a few exceptions.
Agreed.

A lot more players will come back usually around the beginning of Summer and the prime is during Winter.

Can't wait for Pacific to repopulate so I can have fun in Fel again! :gun:

C

Caelas

No new players.
I call BS on this statement. I've seen quite a few "young" status players in New Haven over the past few weeks...and unless they were old players good at playing dumb, they were new.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
Pretty soon someone's going to post about how the game is dying and it's only going to be a few months before EA pulls the plug. It's inevitable unless this post heads them off. You'll read posts like that as far back as you can find posts about UO.

The truth is there has been higher population in UO in the distant past, but as far as I can see it is doing quite well. I have no problem finding pvp, and I see people on at all times of the day, and the peak times can be quite annoyingly busy in the popular spots. This is on Cats.

I've seen a lot of vets returning in the past six months as well.

L

longshanks

just last nite we saw a guy at the bank on chessy asking when power hour is.

over the past month i've guilded several returning players who were gone from the game for up to 5 years.

i think also that despite the staff cuts to the uo team, the existing group has done a fine job at advancing the story line and bringing new things to do into the game.

T

Trebr Drab

UO does seem to be doing better as of late. I think it is mostly returning players, tired of the level grinds out there. But don't let these people fool you. This is a blip in the overall downward trend of the game.
These days, there are fewer and fewer houses, and far fewer vendors as the elites are dominating the markets.

Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

Talk of a "classic based" shard is all the rage.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 25, 1999
Europa
It's been two and a half years since my "eff that, never looking back" ragequit...

Don't really miss UO at the moment, but I am curious as to whether anything has changed regarding t-hunting / fishing during the last two years. Can't find any info on the fora about possible changes, so I'm guessing there haven't been any, but would love to hear it if I'm wrong...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
What he really means to say that he, Evlar, and Morgana take every opportunity to plug the idea of a classic shard in every thread they can possibly post to. :)

Having said that, yes, there appears to be a lot of interest, and my guess is that we will see a classic shard sometime before the end of the world in 2012.

B

Babble

It's been two and a half years since my "eff that, never looking back" ragequit...

Don't really miss UO at the moment, but I am curious as to whether anything has changed regarding t-hunting / fishing during the last two years. Can't find any info on the fora about possible changes, so I'm guessing there haven't been any, but would love to hear it if I'm wrong...
Not that I know of

T

Trebr Drab

What he really means to say that he, Evlar, and Morgana take every opportunity to plug the idea of a classic shard in every thread they can possibly post to. :)

Having said that, yes, there appears to be a lot of interest, and my guess is that we will see a classic shard sometime before the end of the world in 2012.
As you can clearly see, it's not just us. :)

By the way, Llewen, it's not the end of the world, it's a change that rocks the world in 2012. And that happens when UO opens up a classic based shard. :thumbup1:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
By the way, Llewen, it's not the end of the world, it's a change that rocks the world in 2012. And that happens when UO opens up a classic based shard. :thumbup1:
Of course! I have seen the light! I shall order my life accordingly! Slave bring me my books of accounts that I may settle them! etc. etc.

Supposed Slave: Do your own damn lugging...

:gee:

E

Evlar

Damn man... why did you go and do that? I have to reply in my defence to say that I'll only try to post when I think it's relevant to the thread, which in my twisted opinion, it often is, in relation to why we need a classic shard. :p ;)

I previously refrained from posting in this thread, because the OP was so open ended, the question could have been asking literally anything.

Mindful of that though, you've forced my hand...

How is uo doing?
Marvellous if you enjoy the item orientated game it's evolved into... :gee:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I call BS on this statement. I've seen quite a few "young" status players in New Haven over the past few weeks...and unless they were old players good at playing dumb, they were new.
"Young" status characters can apparently be used for obtaining items like this year's Easter baskets from the EM-placed "vending machines."

I was bored late one evening last week and finally broke my self-imposed rule of boycotting EM events after noticing that one of the EMs for LA had posted the starting information for the Easter basket event in the EM forum. (LA got the event much later than the other shards and it only lasted one or two days.) I visited all of the EM-placed NPCs who were providing clues about the basket and finally got Duane, the NPC in one of the Terathan Keep staircases, to tell me: "Right! Your reward is within your grasp my friend! Tell the 'reward' to reveal its location." Upon saying the word "reward," the NPC told my character, "The Basket can be found just inside the Juka Castle near the Compassion shrine in Ilshenar..."

I only had three characters on the shard who could make it into the final location to get a basket because of the difficulty and quantity of the spawn. However, while I was running those characters through (stealthed in carefully with one of them), there was a steady stream of "young" characters running through, grabbing Easter baskets without a care in the world.

So when you see oodles of "young" characters in Haven, ask yourself if there's an EM "vending machine" active on the shard. If yes, it might be the reason for the sudden explosion of "young" characters. They aren't being run by new or returning players. Nope, they belong to someone who probably has big plans to cross-shard the items somewhere else and make themselves a tidy profit.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 1, 2008
honestly, for every vet that comes back, it seems like 3 guild mates stop logging in or quit. and that vet normally hasn't stuck around for long.

This is fel based stuff.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon

/signed

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 24, 2005
Scotland / Europa
No new players. Plenty of old players on some servers. .
Certainly see new players in New Haven on Europa, And I'm there every day taming bulls, from those I've spoken to, they are new new, not just returning players.

E

Evlar

/signed

;)

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 23, 2008
Yes, I've seen a slew of brand new players that I helped train up in the past few months.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

@Elvar...wait a sec now, Storm might have meant that he was agreeing that Classic Shard would come about before the end of the world in 2012.

@Storm...is that what you meant, or were you indeed just being "Small 'n' Bitter"? :lol:

E

Evlar

Ahh.... but did I mean Storm was being bitter...

...or did I mean we, at our age, are small and bitter for the "candy" that's small and bitter...

;)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
For the record I am not against the Classic shard (it gives me another option in the game)
What I am against is people who spam in every thread to get THERE way, and who will do whatever they can to derail anyone else's opinions in favor of there own!

And you and I have had these conversations before Morgana so! I know you and Evlar Have the best possible intentions in mind with your post's :grouphug:

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 2, 2008
Scotland
Cal has the subscription numbers "on refresh", but he chooses not to share.
Make of that what you will.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC
As far as I know UO is still a cheaters paradise and that along with a few others reasons is why this game continues to lose subs.

Once people figure out that almost every aspect of the game is control by cheaters, they will either;

1. Cheat themselves
2. Quit
3. Stick their heads in the sand and continue playing

EA is great at talking about removing cheaters, but they never follow through. I can't speak for any other former players, but I would re-up right now if I knew that EA finally removed the majority of the illegal scripting and the various cheats used in PvP.

But I waited a decade for that to happen, and I really doubt it will happen in the next decade.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 31, 2005
parts unknown
UO is doing good, ....there's some that are bored, (go outside)

Imbuing has made runics less needed, but not eliminated.

The abyss, underworld, and ter-mur offer more places to explore.

Players are still overpricing their wares in lunamart.

There are newbies coming into the game, as stated...I've helped a few myself.

Classic shard cries are from the nostolgic....after seriously thinking about it...I'd try it, but, when I see how limited I'd be as what I am used to....I probably wouldn't stick with it. I do remember b4 AoS.....and alot of what's said is true, but.............this classic dream will limit the player to what was before, and no lands beyond AoS.....at least that's what I gather....no way in hell i'm reading 1500 plus posts of fantasy.

later

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

What I am against is people who spam in every thread to get THERE way, and who will do whatever they can to derail anyone else's opinions in favor of there own!
Please show me any thread in which I have spammed about a Classic Shard that the topic of that thread had nothing to do with a Classic Shard or the Classic Era in the last few weeks.

And I won't even call you out on the THERE vs. THEIR thing :lol:

I have even gone so far as to ask others to stop starting new threads about the subject because I recognize that some people consider this idea to be a threat to THEIR playstyles.

I think there is a very real difference between a topic becoming so popular that it can no longer be silenced or ignored, and people spamming.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2003
Eastern USA
Please show me any thread in which I have spammed about a Classic Shard that the topic of that thread had nothing to do with a Classic Shard or the Classic Era in the last few weeks.

I have even gone so far as to ask others to stop starting new threads about the subject because I recognize that some people consider this idea to be a threat to THEIR playstyles.

I think there is a very real difference between a topic becoming so popular that it can no longer be silenced or ignored, and people spamming.
You and Trebr are wearing people out. Argue it all you want. You guys have become the new "come to Siege" propaganda machine only your message differs. Nearly ever thread topic can be geared to point a classic shard reference.

E

Evlar

Nearly ever thread topic can be geared to point a classic shard reference.
Unfortunate as that may be, it's also very true. The problem is though, when you have pretty open ended questions such as those asked by this very thread, then it's inevitable at some point, "classic" discussion will rear its head.

People clearly have strong thoughts and feelings about the subject, be it for or against, thus by nature of those thoughts and feelings alone, some form of "classic" discussion is always likely to overlap into different threads.

It is after all, the history and heritage of the game when all's said and done. There's also a growing indication that it could be part of the future too.

I know it's possibly frustrating to hear this song playing like a stuck record, but it's current news, current discussion. Pretty much like over here, the news has been dominated by this cloud of ash from Iceland causing havoc with the aviation industry...

T

Trebr Drab

You and Trebr are wearing people out. Argue it all you want. You guys have become the new "come to Siege" propaganda machine only your message differs. Nearly ever thread topic can be geared to point a classic shard reference.
The threads we bring up a classic shard in show reasons why a classic shard is wanted by many. It's a valid point to do so, why shouldn't we? If it hurts your sensibilities, I'm sorry, but that's not going to change my opinions.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Do me a favor. Please count the number of active topics on Uhall and Atlantic. Those are the only two forums I regularly post in. Now please count the number of posts I have made in them.

You will most decidedly find that not only have I not posted something about a Classic Shard in 'nearly every thread'...but that I have only actively posted in only a handful of threads in general.

The problem is, the topic of a Classic Shard has gotten popular, so the threads that center around that topic tend to remain near the top of the list...because they are the most active topics. That is by design. Forum software, like used here, sort topics by most popular (last to receive a post). I am sorry if you have grown tired of my posts...but there are a couple of really easy solutions to the problem:

1 - Don't read threads that refer to the Classic Period...odds are high, myself and others will be posting there.

2 - Just ignore my posts. Apparently you have no interest in me or what I have to say...so why read the posts?

3 - There is an ignore option somewhere in the User CP. I would never use that feature, because I feel it is incredibly immature and closed minded to shelter myself from any point of view that differs from my own.

It's not for me to tell you what to read and what not to read...but I don't think I should be censored or kept from posting here as long as I am posting within the written rules of the forum.

And for the record, I have made an effort to keep my Classic Shard discussions to the thread designated for it, and to respond to those that ask a question about it, or make some reference to it first. And...besides one thread asking for Classic Shard threads to be locked...I have started ZERO threads concerning the idea of a Classic Shard.

Thank you.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
Chill my Uhall friends. There are designated threads for this discussion. You may read and post in these threads at will as long as the RoC is adhered too.

Trust me "spamming and derailing" will be noticed and dealt with.

M

maroite

Full of lolz. Not because Storm used there instead of their, but this part of your post just makes me wonder if people think before they type something... rolleyes:

On the "young player" note, I fail to see how "young players" means new people are playing. First there is a FREE TRIAL for UO, so even if they're new players, are you even sure they're paying/staying? No you're not.

Second, just because you see young player tags doesn't mean they're young. I recently upgraded my account with the additional character slots, and the 2 characters I made started with young player status, despite my account being made in 1998.

I would say empty vendors, the constantly changing house plots in Luna, the overall lack of vendors in Luna and overall lack of popular items on MANY (but not all Shards) would be more concrete evidence that more people are not playing UO than playing.

That's just my opinion though.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Chill my Uhall friends. There are designated threads for this discussion. You may read and post in these threads at will as long as the RoC is adhered too.
You know, I was counting threads and there are 32 threads dealing with items in one way or another, 12 threads dealing with the new Abyss housing, and 1 Classic Shard thread in the first 5 pages of threads currently.

Not so much a complaint, as much as an observation.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
*smiles* Peace be with you all. *channels Caesar and his good will for all*

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Someone made an interesting observation about seeing more people during winter. I'd not thought of that before.

But since SA's release, I really have seen an influx of returning vets and actual newbies that have no idea why I have wings.

I also seem to see several posts by returning vets every week.

Edit: I mean posts like

1) vets that are asking how uo is doing
2) posts that go along the line of "thinking of returning"
3) other posts like "returned vet needs advise"

We will likely see more in the next few months due to the iceland volcanic ash keeping folks in.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2003
Eastern USA
Do me a favor. Please count the number of active topics on Uhall and Atlantic. Those are the only two forums I regularly post in. Now please count the number of posts I have made in them.
No. I have commented on an observation. Take it as you will. If you want people to see your name and automatically glazed over it because it's the same post in a different thread then so be it. I'm not the only person to make the observation just one of the few that have commented on it. You don't have to like it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006

Nothing has changed for a long time with t-hunting / fishing. The only change I can think of in the past ten years (?) is the addition of Ilshenar marties to the level 6 chests. T-hunting and fishing could use some serious love. I wouldn't expect it any time real soon as the devs have a lot on their plate, but some day I am sure those systems will receive some attention.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 2, 2006
The next 6 months will be interesting.

EA have said they are now fixing speedhacking and scripting. If it isnt "just words" this should increase subscriptions.

It also looks as if EA is going to throw a hail mary pass and develop a Classic shard. If so, will subscribers on production shards keep subscribing whilst there is no or minimal content in the 2 years it will take to develop and fix major bugs in the Classic shard?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
2 years, Ancient SOS already existed right? Recent stuff for t-hunters and fishermen:

Treasure chests - the current publish just reworked the random gypsy camp spawns, with special chest loot.

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=1032

I seem to recall some fixes to loot from T-hunting chests as well.

Fishing - Well, SA has 2 quests specifically for fishermen. Also introduced a new imbuing ingredient that's required for imbuing the UBWS property.

Cartographer - no one remembers the Halloween 2009 Giant Turkey event!! Having a T-Hunter was a big advantage!

http://www.uoguide.com/Thanksgiving_2009_Quest