• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How important is Snooping?

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I read the FAQ and review the templates I see many that don't use snooping. I've never had a fully functional thief so I'm wondering what is needed to set one up. I thought you needed snooping to look into backpacks (packy) to select which item to steal.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're just going to be stealing items from dungeons or monsters then you don't need snooping. If you're planning on stealing from other people, then yes it is handy to snoop their pack to see if they have anything worth stealing.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As Kellgory said, snooping is a must if you want to steal from other players. You can random steal from them if you don't/can't snoop, but your odds of getting a good item are much lower.

Stealing from monsters/crates/dungeons, snooping is a waste of points in my opinion. You could go the soulstone route. My thief keeps it on a stone in the bank in case I decide to swap his template around and go PvP thieving for a bit.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
. . .snooping is a must if you want to steal from other players . . .

Stealing from monsters/crates/dungeons, snooping is a waste of points . . .
This.

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking of building a thief so I could get the item for the distillery that UO says will require thieving skill.

However, since this skill doesn't really benefit my character in other ways (unless, of course that character is a professional PvP thief) then this would be a huge waste of time just to get one item.

BTW, I've got nothing against professional PvP thieves... I just don't want to put that much work into a template/character that, for my purposes, would only be created to get one item.