• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Stealth] How I'm training Hiding and Stealth

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I haven't seen this around so I thought I'd share it just in case, although I'm pretty sure it's well known.
So what I'm doing is very simple but just noticed yesterday.

We have all read on UOGuide and others how you should train Hiding and stealth inside your house for the sure 100% hiding bonus. Getting a house is +/- easy nowadays with all the free space anyway.

To train using this method you must:
  1. Disable always run in the settings.
  2. Go to your house and find the longest wall without anything in the way.
  3. Right click and hold on your mouse. Then Left click to get the continuous walking on your character.
  4. Now put you mouse/pointer close to your character to ensure he/she is walking and not running and in a 90º angle against the wall of the house.
In the picture below you can see a character walking in parallel along side the house wall (walking path represented by the green lines) and the Red line represents how the mouse should be aligned.

What this does is it will make the character walk continuously and when he/she hits the wall, the character will bounce back and walk in the opposite direction over and over, non stop. It might not seem much but it helps a lot, at least to me it does.

Now all you have to do is hit the hide button each time you come out of hiding and you'll be training both hiding and stealth much more easily than walking around with the mouse by yourself all the time. I guess you can setup a macro to go into hiding automatically every xx seconds, that's up to you.

Just my 2 cents on this...hope it helps someone out there. Now you can read a book while training :D

EDIT: I reached GM Hiding very easily with this method. Turns out I still gained at home from 93 to 100 without issues. Stealth I stopped at 90 since I have the Burglar's Bandana end was able to get Shadow Dancer Leggings.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Downside to that is you'll reach a stage at which you don't gain hiding anymore because there's no difficulty about hiding in your house.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You forgot to add about making a macro that hides you every 10-15 seconds and then taping down the mouse button :D

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Downside to that is you'll reach a stage at which you don't gain hiding anymore because there's no difficulty about hiding in your house.
I guess so, but at least you'll gain until then. I'm now at 93 and it did slow down a lot.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You forgot to add about making a macro that hides you every 10-15 seconds and then taping down the mouse button :D
Yeah the macro i have setup now is just hide-wait 6 seconds-hide etc. I also put the repeat 10 times option but it doesn't work... I'm not sure why.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm having some trouble with stealth. I'm at 56.4 Stealth and about 61 Hiding. My stealth gains are "Very Easy". I'm wearing studded gloves, arms, leather helm, cloth shirt, and pants. When I put the studded legs or chest on, I get "Challanging". What can I do to maximize my gians?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
As I recall, the theory says you should be still using normal leather equipment and experiment replacing a piece here and another there with studded until you get optimal.

I remember having the same problem and for some reason it went from "very easy" to "Challenging" just like you. I think in the end I stopped caring so much about the armor and just sticked to the strategy I mention here in the first post. In the end I was still gaining. Are you gaining at all?

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm at GM Hiding & 94.2 Stealth. I'm wearing a Full Studded Armor set. When I Stealth around Luna, the gains are "Easy". When I put on a Closed Helm & walk around Luna, the gains are "Very Challenging".

But, at this point, I go to my house and wear the same set up (including the Closed Helm), the gains are "Challenging". Gains are not as fast as id like, but I can live with it.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eric I dunno what kinda char you are making but if you are going to be wearing a leather / Mage armour suit you only need about 70-80 stealth. If you are making a death striker or something 120 all the way!

Siq

Visitor
once you get to that slow point inside the house, step outside along the side of the house. Outside your house you have a lower chance at hiding then inside your house. But you still have a higher success chance then normal out in the woods. Been doing it this way for years.
Try wearing plate gloves / gorget if you can.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand that you need at least 30 hiding to Stealth. Does higher Hiding skill effect your chances at stealthing? I ask because I notice that when training Stealth I sometimes see a Hiding skill raise.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need 80 hiding to stealth. You should always have 100 hiding if you plan to PvP. You can't afford to not hide when you need to most. If you are going to be wearing a simple leather suit, all you need is 75 stealth...la