• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How does the guild leader voting actually work?

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just logged in for the first time this year and noticed that I once again not guildleader anymore. Some member has logged in on January 30th and has become guild leader. He hasn't been online since and was offline for about 10 years. Why did he even become guild leader? As far as i know the game counts any player as inactive which hasn't logged in for the last 30 days. Why haven't I become guild leader automatically since that one member is inactive for 1,5 month? All my characters (20) in that guild voted for my ex-guildleader. Then there are the 2 chars of that now again inactive player and the rest of the members hasn't been online since 2018. I clearly hold the majority of the votes and I'm still not leader of the guild. How to proceed?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I just logged in for the first time this year and noticed that I once again not guildleader anymore. Some member has logged in on January 30th and has become guild leader. He hasn't been online since and was offline for about 10 years. Why did he even become guild leader? As far as i know the game counts any player as inactive which hasn't logged in for the last 30 days. Why haven't I become guild leader automatically since that one member is inactive for 1,5 month? All my characters (20) in that guild voted for my ex-guildleader. Then there are the 2 chars of that now again inactive player and the rest of the members hasn't been online since 2018. I clearly hold the majority of the votes and I'm still not leader of the guild. How to proceed?
See explanation on official Wiki.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
on Sonoma, one guild voted to remove an inactive guild leader, with over 2/3 votes and it didn't happen. And then about 6 months later, the person that was voted for got a notification that they were the guild leader (when they logged in). He had actually forgotten about asking for the votes, because the leader hadn't logged in for over 3 years. (I'm thinking it didn't take effect right away, because even though he hadn't logged in, his account was being paid during that time)

I did help vote for the current leader, because they were the leader before the one that was inactive.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Merlin, thank you for the link but I do know very well how it is supposed to work. I was asking how it actually IS working.

@ Cinderella, thank you aswell. My accounts are always paid. That has no influence on voting stuff or i would have never lost the guild leader rank. ;)
I got the guild leader spot back today tho. Seems like a couple serverups fixed it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@ Merlin, thank you for the link but I do know very well how it is supposed to work. I was asking how it actually IS working.
In my experiences, it works as described. I do not believe a player is "inactive" until their account has been unpaid for 90 days (i.e., house goes IDOC, account becomes EJ).

If I am not mistaken, I do not believe an EJ account can be a guild leader. The current information on the Wiki doesn't include any of the nuances since Endless Journey was added. So if the account of a guild leader goes unpaid, that can perhaps affect the situation.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I stand corrected. Perhaps I thought that since EJ's can't create their own guild that they can't become the guild leader.

From the EJ page in official Wiki:
1616439814254.png

It would be nice if official Wiki could clarify this on the Guild Creation page.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
An EJ account can be voted to Guild leader, they just cannot create the guild. I have in the past created a guild on a paid account, joined with an EJ account, and Promoted the EJ account to guild leader. Don't ask me why.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Voting doesn't work because of this rule:

Guild members do not have to vote for anyone, but they are still counted towards the total number of votes in the guild. Voting for no one is effectively voting for the current Guild Leader.

There's no reminder that a guild member has to vote, so just logging in means that that person has automatically voted for the incumbent. This makes it pretty much impossible to remove the incumbent from the leadership position.

I'd give my opinion of this, but it has too much "pancake that omelet" for a UHall post.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
An Emissary can demote all Members to Ronin. Leave only a small handful of Members, then get them to vote in favor of a certain person. That is the quick end-around to getting a two-thirds vote in a somewhat larger guild.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
An Emissary can demote all Members to Ronin. Leave only a small handful of Members, then get them to vote in favor of a certain person. That is the quick end-around to getting a two-thirds vote in a somewhat larger guild.
Can confirm that this works, I've used to it to take leadership status in multiple dead guilds I was an emissary of to revive them.

The votes aren't immediate though, it seems to take a day or two to actually promote you even once all the votes are cast.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is what happened to a Guild I was in a rouge Emissary demoted all guild members except the ones belonging to her account and voted herself Guild Leader and those of us that called her out on it were ejected including the old GM and all the higher up. Her Account held all the high positions, the guild went down hill so fast. That is why I started my own Guild with family and friends from outside UO and no others are allowed in, it also helps that I control the majority of the accounts that are in the guild, LOL

PinkPandora

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but can ronin's vote ? the website above mentions 'members' but i'm assuming emissaries can vote, and they are not listed... so i'm curious about ronins. thanks!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but can ronin's vote ? the website above mentions 'members' but i'm assuming emissaries can vote, and they are not listed... so i'm curious about ronins. thanks!
Ronins cannot vote, if memory serves me correctly.