• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] How does prospector's tool work?

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Prospector's tools raise the ore level of each vein by one. Mine a spot once, then dbl-click the tool and target the spot you mined to use it. If you get the message that you find dull copper could be mined there, then you can use the gargoyle's pick axe to mine shadow from it. If it says you can mine shadow, then just use a normal shovel to get the shadow ore.

Alternately, if you can put mining on a character that can fight you can get 25 ore per orc brute killed in the orc mine. Another option is the shadow elemental in yamatso mines, but you'll probably want a fire beetle to smelt there.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I do is this. I mine using a regualr shovel 3 times or less if I get colored ore with less, if all three are iron and I want shadow which is rare then I use the prospectors tool and target last target it will say you can then mine dull copper then I use the gargoyle pickaxe and last target. If I get dull copper in one of the three initial mining attempts then I use the gargoyles pickaxe without using the prospectors tool. If I get other colors then I determine what color I need .....which right now is dull copper and copper. So what I do if I need dull copper and copper is if I get either dull copper or copper on any of the frist three mining attempts I just mine it out with a regualr shovel if it's an iron ore vein then I use a gargoyles pickaxe and mine it out, if it's shadow then I use a gargoyles pickaxe and mine it out.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Thank you. I figured out how does prospector's tool work but results are not very good: 3.5k ingots per hour (1.6k iron, 1.2 shadow).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's a guide to using the GPA & PT in combination in one of the FAQs/Guides in the Craftsman's Data Chest.

IF you need Shadow Iron, and ONLY shadow Iron, it might be best to take an orc slayer to the bottom level of the Orc Mines, and farm orc Brutes, while mining the rest of the cave. The orc Brutes carry 25 Shadow ore. Use an Ethy for a mount - the room has a forge in its center, so you don't need your fire beetle down there. You'll end up with about 2k Shadow per hour, plus whatever you mine up waiting for the brute to respawn.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
My char is not a warrior. He has 4 crafting skills, 95 magery and just 75 chivalry/tactics/anatomy.
Also in addition to 1.2 shadow ingots I usually get 500 gold and 100-200 (sometimes 300) valorite ingots.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You could probably do well against the Orc Brutes with an Orc Slayer spellbook, if you had Eval (which you don't). Even so, the Orc Brutes (as far as I know) don't have their old anti-mage/anti-tamer special moves they once had in their original Event Spawn form. Summons could work, in conjunction with a Mage Weapon orc slayer bow and additional +magery gear.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Specifically 3 reasons:
1. Some elementals (if using the GPA alone or in conjunction with a PT) are immune to magery. Shadow Elementals and Valorite elementals. The Anatomy & tactics are for DI for the mage weapon that is your fallback position for these, and if course Enemy of One, consecrate Weapon and Divine fury boost combat bonuses. For that matter, often mage weapons drop the elemental faster than summons, when used with chivalry.
2. Chivalry allows you to heal without hauling regs/bandages around, and without having to use LRC (jut got to remember to tithe). Traveling can be done this way, as well, so if something goes horribly wrong and the insurance bug hits, you can sacred journey to resupply to go back for your stuff.
3. When you're overweight and walking back to a house or bank, you can chain-cast divine fury to restore your stamina.