• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] How do you target effectively?

N

Nematode

As per the title, specifically during mob situation, how are u able to target the critter nearest to you quickly and fuss-free? As Im running a vamp char, I have to constantly hit things. More often than not, I find myself in a situation where Im surrounded by critters but Im targeting 1 that is out of my reach. I use the "target nearest hostile" macro but it doesnt work all the time... When I use show all-names, the screen lights up like a xmas tree.

So, fellow fighters, how do you overcome this difficulty?

D

Delakar

Personally I use a high tech solution. I double click one of the ones hitting me. =)

Sometimes I run towards the one I am already targetting though. Tricky stuff. =P

B

Bara

Hmm, it's not that hard for me. Though, I do use Kingdom Reborn.

I can customize what I want the 'all names" function to show.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know precisely the problem faced here. In the spawn situation when you have 40+ critters on you, you cannot see which one is actually hitting you. One on one or just a few on you, its no problem of course. I use the all names function in 2d with mostly good results, I just grab a bar from one that looks like its right on top of me. The system is not perfect by any stretch, sometimes I have to grab 3 or 4 times before the critter is actually close enough to hit. That delay can be costly at the upper ends of the spawn, so I would be very interested to hear other ideas. Nice thread.

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The UO macro system has many more options available than it did when I quit about 6 years ago. I'm only just getting back to speed on these...and am in the process of transitioning from keyboard back to the gamepad I used to use (and its hurting my head this one..;p)

Re targetting macros - I am playing in the old 2d client and trying out the following:

SelectNext (option Mobile) to one key combination (your choice)
SelectPrevious (option Mobile) to another combination

Now in my case these are set to Forward/Back on gamepad wheel - but it could be set to mousewheel. This allows me to scroll forward and back through (Mobile) targets onscreen and pick the one I want. A nice touch is that it raises a health bar for your target without your having to drag it up off the screen and that the bar changes as you switch targets by scrolling.

What adds a real bonus is that I have also set AttackSelected to wheel button meaning that I can select and attack enemies with one finger one on one key.

I have yet to set macros for TargetNearest but I suspect, particularly in PvM, this will be useful. For PvP, I'd really like a "Target the SoB that just hit me" but don't see a clear way to do it. I'm open to suggestions though...P

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hold down the Ctrl-Shift keys to bring up all names. I right click on the names I don't care about, then double-click the one I want to attack.

D

Divie

For heavy spawn situations i find the best option is 1.) select nearest hostile 2.) attack selected target.

D

Divie

Hmm right after posting that i went to do a champ , and mid way through my select nearest hostile macro suddenly vanished. no matter what key i assign it too it won't come back. Anyone had this happen?

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Select nearest hostile, sounds like a plan. I use some macros but not as many as I should. I have had macros seemingly disappear. No rhyme or reason that I ever found. Thanks for the ideas.

V

von Beck

For heavy spawn situations i find the best option is 1.) select nearest hostile 2.) attack selected target.

I do this. Its good. It works. Unless you get some flyers or uneven ground. Then you die =(

I've died due to targeting issues with Drakes at Destard spawn and Gargoyles at Fire spawn.... either the one you're hitting starts flying and you can't hit it but select nearest still has it, or you're on bumpy ground and select nearest wigs out.