• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you kill ore elementals?

Louise

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I want my crafter to be able to kill ore elementals. I've found out that blade spirits kill verite elementals very quickly, but I have no idea how to kill the other ore elementals. Can you kill them at all with magery? Does mysticism work against them? Do I need some kind of weapon skill?

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I imbued a heavy xbow with earth elemental slayer and mage weapon -20 and a ring/brace with +10 magery each. I then throw on 100 tactics from a soulstone when I go mining. Kite the ore eles while firing away. All of the ore eles drop in a few shots. Valorites probably take 5-7 hits. When their reflect damage gets me to 50% life I heal up, re-equip the heavy xbow, and continue.

Copper and Valorite eles reflect melee damage
Copper and Valorite eles reflect spell damage
Shadow eles are immune to pet and magic attacks
Verite and Valorite eles can destroy your equipped armor (I believe blessed/insured are now safe)

Zane_Xander

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I told ya, Id have to kill ya..they are very easy to kill with the right skill.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For copper and valorite elementals, you want to use a low-damage non-slayer weapon. You don't want earth elemental slayer or elemental slayer (weapons or spellbooks) against them, as you'll commit suicide-by-reflect very easily.
For Shadow iron and valorite elementals, the only spell that does damage from magery is Earthquake. They are immune to pets as well.

So, for Shadow Iron, Copper and Valorite elementals, you need to have your magery-using crafter to be packing a Mage Weapon repeating crossbow, or if you melee, a mage weapon dagger, skinning knife or other fast, low-base-damage weapon. Life Leech is a plus.

All others you can just use spells on, or earth elemental slayer weapons.

My experience in this comes from my deliberately mining Ilshenar almost exclusively with garg picks, intentionally trying to get PARAGON ore elementals to spawn in hopes of getting chests. I've killed paragons of all ore types (and trust me, valorite paragons are a real challenge, unless you are near Sacrifice or Spirituality, and can get it to chase you into the Meer town or the Oaks spawn)

Zane_Xander

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing as the MOD chimed in, I haven't done too well trying to slay these upper end ore elementals. In fact I haven't the patience to try to spawn them with gargoyle picks. I like using mine solely as a another upgrade while mining. But when you go after the shadow elementals in Yomotsu Mines which is the only place I ever went to hunt for these on my own. I couldn't even dent these with my best bladed warrior. I tried everything with no success, until my bard learned the masteries, and with disco & despair will almost kill them, I use one earthquake and poof. I never tried this on the upper end spawned elementals. However using the Gargoyle Pick I've noticed the spawn rate is very low, maybe 2 per pick. So when looking for Blackrock, I usually go to Yomotsu Mines.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's a quick summary on the various ore eles:

Regular Earth elementals: With the changes to Shame, most easily found in the south reaches of Compassion desert, The Ratman mines of Ilshenar (west of Sacrifice gate, then turn south inside the mines - going too far into the mines leads to the Skeletal Wyrm cave), and a few less pleasant places. Great for combat training and level 1 maps (all ore elementals are level 1 map carriers). Carry 2 small iron ore.

Dull Copper Elementals: Only occur as natural spawn, not from the Gargoyle's Pickaxes. Easiest spawn location is the SW corner (south of t
he shrine) in the Compassion Desert, though also found in a couple other dungeons (the Sorceror's Dungeon in Ilshenar is the biggest challenge). Loot includes 2 large DC ore. This is the other elemental impacted by the Shame changes. Originally bugged to only by affected by Elemental (super) Slayers, was fixed to be under Earth Elemental Slayer several years ago - IF that fix didn't get accidentally nerfed along the way.

Shadow Iron Elementals: Only found naturally in Yomotsu Mines, Tokuno. Most common elemental brought up by GPA (especially when used in conjunction with a prospector's tool). Loot is 25 Shadow ore (and all elementals greater have 25 ore each as well). Are a pushover to a weapons user with an earth elemental slayer. My Miner once got 5 shadow Iron Elementals in 9 swings and killed them all, autodefending, without stopping my mine swing macro.

Copper Elementals: The damage reflect means you want to have as good a resist suit as possible, and start bandaging as soon as you're
hit. Their low resist and wrestling means that it's even easier to kill yourself with reflected damage than with valorite elementals, though with sufficient parry and DCI, if you're over 100 HP, you can probably kill one before you kill yourself (in combination with its attacks). If you must use a slayer, only getting double damage from an Elemental slayer is preferable to triple suicide damage from an Earth Elemental minor slayer.

Bronze Elemental: Have a ranged gas attack, but otherwise drop quickly.

Gold & Agapite elementals: Have much higher stats than most of the other elemental. One is the second toughest, the other is the Second strongest. These two (and Verite) are the ones you want to use a slayer on the most.

Verite Elementals: Have a chance to outright destroy items that aren't insured/blessed/cursed. Circumstantial evidence seems t
o indicate that the gloves are targeted more frequently. Otherwise, weaker than earlier elementals.

Valorite Elementals: Have all the earlier elementals' specials (including superior resists and strength), combined into one nasty package. On the bright side, its higher Wrestling and resists make it less likely you'll kill yourself with a reflected attack, but you'll still probably have to heal at least once during the fight to keep f
rom killing yourself. Carries 2 pairs of gems, inste
ad of 1 pair, along with its ore, and appears to have a slightly larger assortment of crappy loot to go with the gems and ore.
elechests.JPG

Last edited:

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regular Earth elementals: With the changes to Shame, most easily found in the south reaches of Compassion desert, The Ratman mines of Ilshenar (west of Sacrifice gate, then turn south inside the mines - going too far into the mines leads to the Skeletal Wyrm cave), and a few less pleasant places. Great for combat training and level 1 maps (all ore elementals are level 1 map carriers). Carry 2 small iron ore.
Don't forget the New Haven mines.