• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you advance beyond Newb status?

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone is always calling everyone else newbs - This question is for the self-proclaimed non-newbs:

How do you qualify to no longer be a newb?

T

Tazar

I can't say you ever get beyond that... someone will always call you it no matter how far you progress.

I'm a couple of months shy of 12 years in game, and feel that I have about maxxed everything possible, but I still got called a newb last week.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Yea it would seem that way, I personally would like to see one of the the people who are more prone to calling people noob reply here, I always did find that to be very non-insulting at all and really childish and just....complete lack of any kind of substance when it comes to so called "trash talking" people on uo are the least creative when it comes to this...."noob" "your fat" or some random personal attack they know nothing about, never anything creative always the same babble *shrugs*

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1280350 said:
Yea it would seem that way, I personally would like to see one of the the people who are more prone to calling people noob reply here, I always did find that to be very non-insulting at all and really childish and just....complete lack of any kind of substance when it comes to so called "trash talking" people on uo are the least creative when it comes to this...."noob" "your fat" or some random personal attack they know nothing about, never anything creative always the same babble *shrugs*
Given how creative a percentage of players have become on Atlantic...someone mentioned this in a uhall thread (how "helpful" players are in UO now), I would agree and say that these percentage of people do this stuff for no reason.

Exactly as you called it. Personal attacks and random babble.

These are the same silly people who use "terminology" like leet, uber, and pwned you...or however they spell it.

Personally...I like just killing people and saying nothing. They expect a bunch of smack talk or whatever and just receive...silence.

In FFXI for example, I would boot people from my parties who held these attitudes. These are the same geniuses though that lack the skills to make their own party setups. Go figure.

S

Sindreline

Noob or Newb is one of those terms that is flung around with to much ease it used to plainly mean a new player but even now you can have veteran players that are considered noobs in there chosen fields but the definition of the terms today. If you really get down to it there is no one that knows everything so everyone is a newb.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
We're all new at something, I 'spose.

As far as the term "noob" being thrown around all the time...eh, guess we just have to get used to it. There will never be a shortage of petty and/or dumb people on this earth.

Only person I call a noob is myself. Often times, it's fitting. (Still have never done cooking, plants, item ID, detect hidden, taste ID...herding...there are several things I've never tried).

C

Cloak&Dagger

I can honestly say I have at the least tried everything uo has to offer, if I am "pro" or not, I wont speculate as it is not really relevant and well, you can say what you are yourself, I believe if you try to assume you are something then you find out you are not it is bad for you.

I am not completely against smack talk but the things people on here and in game consider smack talk is just not my fancy. I prefer to kill someone and say nothing, I also do not mind dying and receiving nothing said or maybe a compliment, I can even stand some insults, such as I need practice or to get better as obviously I lost. The worst case of smack talk in uo tho has to be when someone dies and then proceeds to talk trash like they won, this is horrible and these are the people I would consider to be a "noob" tho I never voice that while playing the game.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) You are currently associated almost exclusively with veteran players. (your guild is that of veterans, your discussion is highly veteran, and folks don't ask foolish questions. Members and friends know where to get the info they want before asking.) This does not include charity, helping new players. anyone can help a new player but 90% of folks who say they help new players are often imparting bad information because they themselves are still lacking the knowledge that they believe they posess.)
2) You've done everything in UO, at least a dozen times. You know how to do it, where to do it and you can do it without breaking a sweat(this does include pvp).
3) You walk confidently, and without concern anywhere you go in UO. Nothing is beyond the capability of your characters. You may stride through yew gate without concern or walk any dungeon with a feeling of safety(stealthing does not count).
4)You can make a suit to compete with folks that spent 200mill with only 5mill.
5) You can have anything you want in the game if you really want it, within a week(paying cash or buying gold to buy it does not count).
6)Dieing doesn't bother you. In your day, you died and lost everything and started from scratch without blinking. These days, death means you go back to your house, boat or bank and restock on apples, pots, aids, bolas and anything else you need and go back to what you were doing in under 5 minutes.
7) Even if you don't pvp. You can still kill 50% of the people in game and say when they're dead, "newb."
8) You've probably got 10-20 soulstones or frags with spare skills that are finished for that build a template in 5 minutes feeling.
9) You rarely die, even when suffering terrible lag or facing impossible odds.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you that most of the guilds claiming to help newb players do irreparable harm to these new players as I've seen it time and time again. They teach them bad information, indoctrinate them with their non-expert views, and often cut off their view of 80% or more of the game with misdirection.

This game is full of the "perma newbs" who join the massive guilds and assume that numbers make their guild better, or that in pvp they are great pvpers because they out number their enemies 10 to 1.

Folks have actually bragged to me that their guild can defeat peerless in under 25 mins and then called me newb. I know people who solo peerless in less time and guilds that can chain baracoons in 6-7minutes(with an annoying delay between spawns due to the moongate there). UO is full of guilds with bad players who will never learn because they never spent months playing solo learning every detail or figuring out what they would need to do to enjoy playing solo(or with a very small group of friends).

Guilds like LLTS and HoT on atlantic, or GOL and HOFD on pacific and countless others do irreparable damage to their members who afterwards claim to be veterans but display painfully obvious signs of newbdom.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you that most of the guilds claiming to help newb players do irreparable harm to these new players as I've seen it time and time again. They teach them bad information, indoctrinate them with their non-expert views, and often cut off their view of 80% or more of the game with misdirection.

This game is full of the "perma newbs" who join the massive guilds and assume that numbers make their guild better, or that in pvp they are great pvpers because they out number their enemies 10 to 1.

Folks have actually bragged to me that their guild can defeat peerless in under 25 mins and then called me newb. I know people who solo peerless in less time and guilds that can chain baracoons in 6-7minutes(with an annoying delay between spawns due to the moongate there). UO is full of guilds with bad players who will never learn because they never spent months playing solo learning every detail or figuring out what they would need to do to enjoy playing solo(or with a very small group of friends).

Guilds like LLTS and HoT on atlantic, or GOL and HOFD on pacific and countless others do irreparable damage to their members who afterwards claim to be veterans but display painfully obvious signs of newbdom.
Wow...impressive post.

1. Yes, videos on youtube and other postings show as much. Some peerless in as little as 5 or 6 minutes or so.

2. Agreed. Few people consistently solo different venues in order to get a good feel for challenges and making money. This does not include fighting ogre lords over and over and over and over again. I said different venues. Not the same one.

3. Agreed. Some of the best guilds I have ever been in were small guilds. Through great teamwork we could be outnumbered 3 to 1 and still have no problem versus larger guilds.

4. Agree with first paragraph. I quit the very first guild I was in because of said reasons. Hence I played a long time on my own doing what you describe in paragraph number 3.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Not sure I agree with your full list of how to not be a newb, specially the last item.

You don't mind dying but never die? so it is safe to say you don't mind dying only because you don't die. The list is pretty nice tho, never really thought of it like that, 1-6 is an awesome list 7-9 could be lost =p. I would say in number 7 but I wouldn't say that was definitive of not being "newb". number 8 I don't really care for, I just delete skills when I want a new template, but that has more to do with play style than ability...I could get the stones and soulstone everything, but meh not my fancy. and again number 9 just doesn't fit my bill, i like to do things where there is a good chance i will die (aka 1v20 pvp) oh, even some peerless' on less than pvm able chars. but that's for enjoyment so I don't know if I would be able to do 9 or not since I just don't try at all.

Still, great list. I like that answer haha.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
7-9 work. Today i was fighting 3 dismount tamers with a necromage. Did so well killing one and getting closer to killing the others that the fight quickly became 7 v 1 with more tamers a dismount archer and a mage. Killed 3 people during that encounter. I call them each newbs.

8) I said probably. a veteran, especially a wise veteran is likely to have tons of skills sitting around as spares or left overs. It would be more unusual to have no collection of moving skills at this point in UO.

and yeah you don't mind the death but you don't die often. Honestly, it takes a true veteran to just accept they died and move on. However, as a veteran. You've seen everything there is to see. When new patches come out you know whats likely to be the new tactic and the new templates. You shouldn't be fooled by any new FoTM but should be prepared for everything even if you've not seen it yet.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Well I was just giving my opinion that you don't have to have 7-9, it was just my own opinion and I gave the reasons why I felt that way. It was not to say those are not possible, as I have had encounters where I was outnumbered and did just fine, but also there are times when I just go in ready to die because it is a likely case I will die when you are obviously out manned. But still over all a good list, But I would have to say no one follows that list to define who a newb as, as they just call you newb if you kill them all in a 5v1 or die to them in the same situation they will forever call you "newb"

Mister McFeely

WoW Noob!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always have more respect for people that say nothing when I was killed other than those that would try to clue me in on how badly they beat me (trust me I was there).

I was never "good" at the game but when I played I had some good moments and some newb moments. I think everyone has these no matter how great they think they are.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ominus, post pix next time you finish the minotaur champ w/o breaking a sweat.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Defeated every champ spawn in game on drachenfels of all places. and almost all of them on siege with an unfinished char and a rag tag group of companions.

C

Cloak&Dagger

The mino boss is sorta....hmm I have no polite words to use to describe her, but I would not say it is the hardest, or that you can not do it with out dying. just...annoying I suppose.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't know them and they call you a newb, ignore it. You're only a newb if you think you are, not if others say you are.