• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do I report an exploit?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to wait for someone else to report it. Usually one of the guys you sold it to for around 500 dollars, and who found out you lied when you said you were selling to this person exclusively.

Sarcasm aside, Id say contact an advisor first, but honestly i wouldnt trust advisors if the exploit is at all profitable to not take advantage of it themselves.
Email mesanna. thats really all you can do.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is exploiting UO profitable? There is such a small player base that I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of players who actually purchase anything outside of the game. Wouldn't it be more profitable to concentrate on games with larger player bases like WoW, DoTA, GW2, etc.? I'm just kind of stunned that UO would be a target of any such enterprises. Its sort of like a band of thieves who only target Dariy Queens in rural towns.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to the uo.com website and typed in "exploit" in the Search field. The first page that came up in the results was this one: http://www.uo.com/Game-Account-and-Technical-Support . That page includes a section that reads as shown below:

Bug and Exploit Reports
Bug reports can be mailed to [email protected], along with all important information, such as the time, date and shard of the occurrence, the steps that caused the bug, and whether or not it was repeatable. Bugs found on a test center should be sent to [email protected] with the same information.
Notice the inclusion of the words "and Exploit" in the heading?

Well, interestingly enough, if you use the Account & Support link at the top of the page on the uo.com website to access the drop-down menu and then click on the Support Center option, you go to a very similar-looking page at http://www.uo.com/Support-Center. It reads as follows:

Bug Reports
Bug reports regarding all shards, including a test center can be mailed to [email protected], or by filling out the Contact Form. Please include important information, such as the time, date, shard of the occurrence, the steps that caused the bug, and whether or not it was repeatable.​

Why does this current "Support Center" page not include those two small words "and Exploit" in the heading of the same section on the page? Why does it now just refer to "Bug Reports"? Does this mean that Broadsword not want to be held responsible for becoming aware of and fixing exploits? I truly hope this is not the case. However, because the old and new pages look so similar, it's hard not to believe that the words "and Exploit" were deleted on purpose at some point.

I hope that someone from Broadsword or even EA can give some kind of official response for this question. I believe sometime in the last couple of years we were told to use the "bug reporting" forum here on Stratics for submitting that kind of information. However, I can't even remember when or who told us to do that and haven't had a whole lot of luck lately with searches of Stratics forums to feel inclined to go digging here for anything. With the many changes in Stratics staffing and policies/procedures, I would feel reluctant to use the Stratics "bug reporting" forum for reporting an exploit at the current time unless we hear something official from Mesanna or Rob Denton telling us that is what Broadsword wants us to do.
becuase im pretty sure no one checks that :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is exploiting UO profitable? There is such a small player base that I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of players who actually purchase anything outside of the game. Wouldn't it be more profitable to concentrate on games with larger player bases like WoW, DoTA, GW2, etc.? I'm just kind of stunned that UO would be a target of any such enterprises. Its sort of like a band of thieves who only target Dariy Queens in rural towns.
you'd be surprised. for one, UO players are old. this often means jobs (who would have thought?) and more $$ than time. So uo is actually much more profitable than other games. Its very likely that more $$ changes hands behind the scenes than UO makes from subscriptions at this point. Just ask the owner of all the burnt houses ;) or just folk in general who like to have nice things but dont have alot of time to play / years of bankroll behind accounts.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i agree with Smoot.
as a 40year old professional i find it easier to sometimes purchase items then invest the time in game to get them.
if this means purchasing a token or gold or items or whatever.
for anyone who makes over 100k a year the thought of dropping $100 here and there to enhance my game play dosnt phase me at all.

thats like saying that Broadsword and EA are missing a big cash cow by not putting a bunch of stuff up for sale on their web page.
for instance, if they where to put vet reward token up on EA for say $5-10 a shot i would think nothing of dropping $200 on that right now.
say they put up a game pack that allowed you to have a house on every shard, id drop $100 on that and wouldnt bat an eye.

while my wife dosnt play UO she is the same as me and will drop $100 on her game from time to time without thought.
the age of UO players has changed from teens and twenties 17.5 years ago to 35-40 year old stable income people who have money they want to spend.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OMG I think hell is freezing over ..... I agree with Smoot too...

UO is seriously missing the boat on selling stuff to us old vets. But yes most of us have jobs and such to pay for our addiction to UO... enough that many of us have multiple accounts so dropping bucks on UO every month isn't something we are concerned with.

And sadly there are still enough of us obviously buying things we shouldn't otherwise the gold sellers and the scammers, the unattended macroers would have moved on to some other game to milk money from. The reason they stay is that there must be an income here.

I was rather hoping that the new vendor search would put some places more out of business but... hasn't seemed to hurt them really. They are still at it.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just sold a pair of items for more gold then I have ever had in game before and went on a buying spree but it truelly left me wanting more. I've looked at the cost of $billion and was shocked to see both how "cheap" it was and how easy it is to get. This said I'm not sure if I would be up for it and I'd rather support the game vs some random person but as it stands if I wanted to do such I have no other choice.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree with Smoot.
as a 40year old professional i find it easier to sometimes purchase items then invest the time in game to get them.
if this means purchasing a token or gold or items or whatever.
for anyone who makes over 100k a year the thought of dropping $100 here and there to enhance my game play dosnt phase me at all.

thats like saying that Broadsword and EA are missing a big cash cow by not putting a bunch of stuff up for sale on their web page.
for instance, if they where to put vet reward token up on EA for say $5-10 a shot i would think nothing of dropping $200 on that right now.
say they put up a game pack that allowed you to have a house on every shard, id drop $100 on that and wouldnt bat an eye.

while my wife dosnt play UO she is the same as me and will drop $100 on her game from time to time without thought.
the age of UO players has changed from teens and twenties 17.5 years ago to 35-40 year old stable income people who have money they want to spend.

The problem with tokens is that they are easily duped. I would rather see it applied directly to the account.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
meh. same bell i've been ringing forever. Ditch the sub and open up a real marketplace in game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe Mesanna was wanting to make an "in-game" store... which would in my opinion be fantastic.... though I fear hacking to increase if that happens. Scary thing to think about there. But... at any rate I'd like it.

And one special thing I want to say... @S_S I want to applaud you for doing the right thing. I don't think I can say it enough to say THANK YOU for reporting such a thing. I wish there were more folk who would! Hats off to you!

Christina Kardos

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Whoever is in charge of the bussiness part of uo is not very good at his/her job.... at least this is the impression I get ( no offense intended, for all I know there is probably no person in charge - at least it seems that way). People are asking for products to spend their money on. Whoever is responsible should listen to their target market.... Asap.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Whoever is in charge of the bussiness part of uo is not very good at his/her job.... at least this is the impression I get ( no offense intended, for all I know there is probably no person in charge - at least it seems that way). People are asking for products to spend their money on. Whoever is responsible should listen to their target market.... Asap.

I sometimes imagine it like this in my head, when I think of the business part of UO, assume this is a real life store/restaurant.

*Customer Walks In*

Employee: Hello! how can I help you today?

Customer: Hi, can I buy a hamburger please

Employee: NO!

Customer: ....ok.....how about chicken?

Customer:......Fries?

Customer: What can I buy then?

Employee: This can of tuna fish you never asked for and don't want, take it and go.

Customer: But...but....I don't like tuna fish

Employee: Your choices are this or nothing, choose.

Customer: Uh.....Ok.....thank you.....*backs away slowly holding random can of unwanted tuna fish*.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I sometimes imagine it like this in my head, when I think of the business part of UO, assume this is a real life store/restaurant.

*Customer Walks In*

Employee: This can of tuna fish you never asked for and don't want, take it and go.

Customer: Uh.....Ok.....thank you.....*backs away slowly holding random can of unwanted tuna fish*.

Or else they only sell you one burger, and you have to go outside and come bacck in to buy another smh

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*Customer Walks In*

Cake.... Or Death

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Add me to the ranks of those with more $ than time. Wake up UO! I have plenty of disposable income and a UO addiction. If EA/Broadsword won't sell me what I want/need, then I will find it elsewhere.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarcasm aside, Id say contact an advisor first, but honestly i wouldnt trust advisors if the exploit is at all profitable to not take advantage of it themselves.
Email mesanna. thats really all you can do.
This x100, of the few advisers whose identities are known, I wouldn't trust them to report profitable exploits to those above them, I'd highly recommend PMing a Developer or Mesanna.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I emailed Mesanna, in fact I emailed her twice! I for one, do not put my trust in advisers who are also players to the game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I emailed Mesanna, in fact I emailed her twice! I for one, do not put my trust in advisers who are also players to the game.
Nor do I.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be easier to report something in UO that as NOT BEEN exploited.......jesus....