• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do I get Necromancer summons to attack?

Laenaya

Visitor
I summoned a horde minion and when I click it a profile window comes up with various commands I can give it. But none of them work. So I go into "actions" and drag the kill all command to the hotbar, and the horde minion doesn't listen. The same thing happens with the wisp.

As far as I can see, the horde minion and wisp do NOTHING. I can be standing right next to an enemy, hitting pummeled by it, and all they do is stand there. I have over 50 spirit speak, and just over 50 necromancy. And all they do is stand. Once in a blue moon I "think" I see the horde minion attack back, but its only for one or two hits at most (if at all) and then stands there doing nothing again.

I tried one of the free shards, and there was commands I could give it to attack. But maybe that was a free shard feature? Or am I missing something? Because literally stood in the graveyard (well, the "dead" part of new haven) being hit for an entire three minutes before I had to attack back since I was losing too much health, and the horde minion (and wisp on a 2nd attempt) just stood there the entire fight doing nothing.

Its very disappointing, because my favorite class in any game is the necromancer. Second would be an elemental summoner of some kind. In general I like the summoning classes in games, always been my favorite class type. But as far as I can see, the necromancer summons (I don't have access to the other spell tree summons yet) are completely broken or I am missing something really obvious. Because both summons I have access to just stand there doing nothing. I spam the kill all, and they still don't do anything.

Is there something bugged with the enhanced client? A command I am missing somewhere? Or are they just broken? Because its very sad and very depressing to watch my necromancer summons do nothing except stand being useless in a fight. :(

Laenaya

Visitor
Yeah, I 100% definitely have to be missing a command or something. Its definitely not broken/bugged. I reanimated one of the bats and it turned into a skeleton. It too just stands there doing nothing, not even attacking. And I am in "war" (or attack) mode, so that isn't the issue.

If all my summons aren't doing anything OR my reanimated dead, it must just be because I'm a noob (I never played UO before). Can't be broken, since all my summons/reanimations are doing the same thing. That would make the entire Necromancer "class" broken, so I highly doubt that is the issue. Its probably just because I'm missing something obvious and being dumb. But they all just standing there, not attacking no matter how long I stand there letting the enemy hit me. And I even attack first (which I have to, since I'm on the peace period that makes it so I don't get agroed). Even my reanimated "pets" do the same thing.

Is there a command or key to get them to attack?

Laenaya

Visitor
Well, I got help in game. Looks like they do attack. But you have to be really close to the enemy and walk around, its really weird. Very strange in how you get the necro summons to attack, I don't like it at all. Seems too weird.

Someone showed me an elemental summon (the vortex) and it automatically attacked what was near it. None of my necromancer pets ever do that, and to get the necro summons to do that...is so much harder and more annoying. Literally have to be incredibly close to the enemy and walk around it, and HOPE they attack, since they still often don't. And if you stand still doing nothing, they don't attack either. And if you go too far, the necro pets then go to you and stop attacking.

I'll be lowering my necro skill to 30-40 (enough to easily cast wraith form), and focusing on mysticism/magery. Don't like how necromancer summons work at all. The magery ones look way better, and kinda how I expected the necro summons to work. Summon them, and they attack enemies near them/you. The necro ones barely do anything.

The game so far has been awesome though, tons of friendly people answering questions and stuff. Really great experience, except for the necromancy summons are kinda disappointing. The elemental ones actually attack and do stuff. Guess the horde minion to carry stuff and the others DO have bonuses. But I prefer summons to help out in combat lol. But the magery elemental ones look really cool, and the daemon one sounds awesome.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Necromancy familiar summons are more passive summons. Since their introduction, they typically act only to defend themselves or their summoner.

The Horde Minion is really there mostly to be a kleptomaniac. It will pick stuff up off the ground and put it into its pack (really useful currently in the pumpkin events to clear off the fields so that new pumpkins can respawn); you can access its backpack to retrieve what it picked up. It's really not meant to be a combat summons, but a means to gather magery reagents, crops from fields, gold at champion spawns, etc. When AoS launched, there was actually a tutorial for when you started out as a standard necromancer template, that showed how the Horde Minion worked. BTW, the shadow wisp is a useful familiar for spellcasters in that it replenishes your mana every time it pulses.

The necromantic animations are a different matter - they don't respond to any commands, and are actively hostile against all other monsters - and their life force diminishes as time passes.

The skill really needs a balance pass for those of us who want a necromancer that isn't a sampire.