• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How difficult is the Dark Knight of Haven?

R

Rocklin

I am going to be rotating three newbie characters through Haven. I would like each to take a shot at the Dark Knight. I have a Paladin type, a Mage type and one to be decided. I have a Legendary Smith/ Tailor, and a fat bank to spend for twinking up.

How tough is the Dark Knight? Anything I should know?

K

Kiwillian

You are given a rune at the start.

He is a bit tricky from memory. You end up in a small room and he likes to teleport around the place.

edit: You may need to use KR to get it though, come to think of it.

R

RichDC

You are given a rune at the start.

He is a bit tricky from memory. You end up in a small room and he likes to teleport around the place.

edit: You may need to use KR to get it though, come to think of it.
And let me guess...you need to still be "young"?

K

Kiwillian

Don't think so. There is no "young" now anyway is there?

I think I tried it when i was mostly in the 50's or so and failed horribly lol :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was able to beat him on a character with 70s skills and a good resist suit.

R

RichDC

Don't think so. There is no "young" now anyway is there?

I think I tried it when i was mostly in the 50's or so and failed horribly lol :)
I was young not long ago(on second account) and i have actually seen a good deal of young players on GL

Ok, so, how do i change from 2d to KR and then...can i switch back again?

K

Kiwillian

You don't need to "change". Just make the char using KR and you'll get a tutorial quest chain from some lady. Do all that and she'll give you the rune. Then you can go back to 2D I guess. Maybe you'll need to log in with KR to use the rune for DK, I dunno...

Oh and I don't think you need recall to use the rune, you just use it.

2d and KR are interchangeable otherwise. They are just different ways to access the same game. KR just has extra bits for new players (if the server detects you are using it). :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You have to create the character with KR... After you get done with the tutorial (you get kicked out into New Haven after getting the rune), you can switch to 2D and play 2D up till the time you decide to fight him (which requires doing it in KR)

R

RichDC

Why dont i get the option??

I bought the 9th ani version, does this not include KR? When i first started i got the option of 3d or 2d i chose 2d never had another option.

K

Kiwillian

KR is a separate client. You will probably need to download it and it is rather large (about 2GB+patches).

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
A word of warning you do need either recall or sacred journey to get to him and if you fail even one time casting these the rune is ruined forever and this is a known bug that they choose not to fix !

T

tymbow

A word of warning you do need either recall or sacred journey to get to him and if you fail even one time casting these the rune is ruined forever and this is a known bug that they choose not to fix !
Not true. If you fail to recall etc. the rune will no longer work but in my experience it does seem to sort itself out eventually but it seems to take a few weeks so I don't know what the "fix" trigger is.

Regarding killing Dark Knight you need a decent character that can sustain delivering reasonable amounts of continual damage as the knight does periodically teleport and heal up and there is a timer on how long you have to kill him.

I've find that when your skills are in 70s or 80s you can handle him.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe there was supposed to be a 3 or 7 day timer on use of the rune, since someone who had done the quest was supposed to be able to repeat - just not get a reward after the first.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to sum it up:

The char has to be created with the KR client. And you HAVE TO FINISH the tutorial. (At least to the point, where you get the rune).

When using the rune, you HAVE TO USE the KR client. (You get a message, when attempting to recall on the rune, while playing with the 2D/legacy-client).

If you fail, your rune will be on a 24 hours cooldown. (Chances are high, your rune will be bugged and it will become unusable. At least 2 of 3 chars were left with a buggy rune after failing to beat him.)

If you succeed, the rune will be on a 3 day cooldown. You can beat him a second time, but you WON'T get another reward.

Skill 50-55 swords/samurai: lost
Skill 50-55 mage: lost
Skill 70 archer/paladin: won (easily)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
HMM ok well I have not tried to use my rune in atleast 2 months and have never fought the dark lord so I will go see if you all are right and it resets bbl

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Just tried it and rune does not work !

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will the rune to get to the Dark Knight work from a runebook? If so, you could load it in a runebook with a recall scroll for 100% chance of success, right?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
it will not go into a rune book what I suggest is using scrolls if you have no magery or chiv and puting jewels on to get you to about 30 then I belive its 100% chance with no fail
it sucks that they made it this way (or is bugged this way) ! and they do know about it but do not apperantly want to fix it as its been this way since kr came out !

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The rune works with runebooks. You even can buy 40.0 Magery from the quest giver, so you have 100% success.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The rune works with runebooks. You even can buy 40.0 Magery from the quest giver, so you have 100% success.
The rune does not go into a rune book either that or mine is way bugged because it will not go in!!

T

tymbow

Just to add to this, it is definitely worth doing the Dark Knights because the three possible rewards are unique as follows:

Echo Staff
Ring Of The Servant
Skill Tutor Statuette

The staff sucks but the Skill Tutor statue is very cool and the ring can be very useful.

R

Rocklin

Wow, alot of information. Thank you all for the insight. Seems I have some more work to do before I can challenge him.