• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How crucial is dex?

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For lockpicking, detetct hidden, remove trap, and cart? I've already gmed all 4 skills. Do I really need high dex?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No and Margery replaces the need for detect hidden and remove traps....and let's you recall around razz etc.... And when you train mining go to new haven do the quest to fifty...but don't stop at fifty....you will get accelerated gains to 90 ... Then cash it in

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have gm mining and magery already also. Basically my t-hunter is gm cart, detect, lockpicking, remove trap, magery, mining, and hiding. Just wondering if I need to keep high dex or not? Once I get davies locker I plan on removing mining and putting meditaion on. But I need more int for mana. So I wanted to lower my dex for int.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Davies locker won't remove the need for mining it only give coordinates to degrees and minutes...that only gets you within a 60x60 tile square of your map..
But you don't need cart on your hunter when you hunt. Put cart on decode a pile of tattered maps....then throw them in the locker. Stone off cart and stone on med....go pick them. If you want to hard core you can keep detect and remove but that is a waste of 200 pts. Most people pick the chest...stand back 5-7 tiles and cast telekinesis on the chest...that will set off the trap with no damage to you.

Then walk up and loot. You can do the low level maps this way maybe. But your character design was created to lead groups on chest night. The template won't take out most guardians that spawn past lvl 2-3 maps.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a treasure hunting bushido paladin i just let it explode.... Standing right in front of chest.... Kabooom... Dont care :) much easier! Just get enough hit points and fire resist

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yet still can't get an answer to my question. Do I need high dex for the skills or not? I don't need alternate ways to build a treasure hunter. And fyi I can solo up to a lvl 5 thank you very much.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yet still can't get an answer to my question. Do I need high dex for the skills or not? I don't need alternate ways to build a treasure hunter. And fyi I can solo up to a lvl 5 thank you very much.
You you don't have to be a duck when people are offering you friendly advice...it cost you nothing to read their posts and you might learn something....
You question was answered in the very first reply...... The first word in that reply was .....NO.
Oh and FYI level 5 maps are kiddie spawn compared to the big stuff, so grow up a little. It costs nothing to be gracious when people are just trying to be nice......

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't duck. And I didn't ask for any advise on my template. I know all about the other ways to make a treasure hunter. When you include what you did after you wrote the word no it makes me not sure if you are answering the question and just trying to tell me how to play my character. I didn't take the time to gm all those skills if I didn't want them. When someone asks a simple yes or no question. Then a simple yes or no is all that is needed for an answer. Instead of trying to get me to make a solo template in an online game where the purpose is to socialize and do thing with other players. And your the one who posted my template wouldn't be effective past a lvl 3 spawn in which I just corrected you.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you missed the NO,... and part.
Whatever I won't stop offering advice to people who may not be all wise and all knowing...I am sorry perhaps in your signature you should add...KNOW IT ALL EXPERT,...no advice required.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow dude chill. I never said I know it all. I would just ask people to please stick to the topic of a thread. I only asked is dex was crucial. Not advice on making a treasure hunter template. I don't know why you are making such a big deal about this. I go the answer I was looking for from The Old Man and I thanked him. Issue resolved.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You got the answer in my thread 5 mins after you posted...but you were too busy getting pissy about people offering suggestions.....I don't need to chill you are the 41 year old child acting like a duck when people are just trying to offer advice.....after your question was answered. Excuse everyone for trying to be helpful.....when you see someone asking a noob question with worthless skills then you think maybe they need might need some advice.....

I seriously hope you don't ever need help mr expert

Last edited:

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol. Your the one getting all bent out of shape. Your just mad because I didn't accept your answer. I'll state it once again. I never said I was a know it all or expert. I didn't ask for advice at all. I didn't ask for suggestions on my template. They are not worthless skills as I use them quite often. Grow up. Calling me names like noob and duck just hurts you more than me. I don't need to call people names because I'm mature. Try it sometime. Just drop it.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did i read you want advice on a treasure hunter ?

Well let me tell my friend that is one I think he has some advice he can share.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did i read you want advice on a treasure hunter ?

Well let me tell my friend that is one I think he has some advice he can share.
Well I had a question, not an expert in this field. Can I have high dexterity to make like a lockpicking dexxer or something that can at least survive a little bit while messing around doing t-maps? I know the easier necessity that some people have with using magery and so forth, but I don't want a mage t-mapper.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can run as high dex as you want.....but it just has zero effect on any treasure hunting skills. Dexxer are a lot of fun I have a sword dexer that runs 165 dex and I love him.....Im just not gonna try soloing 2 AW A BALROG AND a frost dragon with him :)

I love doing group hunts....for me it is the best part of UO . When I do one I just dig invis and let the group have their fun....I move off to the side to help heal and res etc. but if the group is overmatched I can summon a pet or hop off his back to lend a hand.

For me the required skills are....cart ( on a soul stone to decode the maps) lock picking, mining, (because it don't want to spend 20-30 mins locating a dig site) enough Margery to cast tele ( to disarm the trap).... After that you can have any skills you can fit on the remaining 500 pts approx that will help you deal with all the uglies that don't want you stealin their stuff.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As a treasure hunting bushido paladin i just let it explode.... Standing right in front of chest.... Kabooom... Dont care :) much easier! Just get enough hit points and fire resist
@Duncan - I have a bushido paladin and I have a tamer mage t hunter - but never tried a bushido paladin t hunter - can the bushido solo level 6 spawns? Not sure I'd want to tackle ancient wyrms with a dexxer.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Duncan - I have a bushido paladin and I have a tamer mage t hunter - but never tried a bushido paladin t hunter - can the bushido solo level 6 spawns? Not sure I'd want to tackle ancient wyrms with a dexxer.
I even do lv 7 t maps with the bushido paladin build. It goes fast. You just have to pick out the hard hitting mobs and do them one by one

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The system, that some skills were more or less affected on your stats is long gone. In the past, when lockpicking was closely related to dex, it simply meant that you got a skillbonus for having higher dex while your skill was below gm.