• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How can we get folks to come here and then stay !!!

• Thread starter Anon McDougle
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
A

Anon McDougle

ideas anyone ??

i have suggested castles in malas

maybe keeping each publish here longer than a day ??(very short term )

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we all know the answer to this.

More than one player at a time is going to have to step up and build community, whether their own guild or cross guild events or even, gasp, open to shard all events.

Greifing is a problem, with fewer players it just makes the frustration level that much greater for having to deal with out of so few to respond positively.

I personally am in some kind of weird funk and haven't logged in meaningfully in almost two weeks.

*shrugs*

C

Crystal Canyon

I think we all know the answer to this.

More than one player at a time is going to have to step up and build community, whether their own guild or cross guild events or even, gasp, open to shard all events.

Greifing is a problem, with fewer players it just makes the frustration level that much greater for having to deal with out of so few to respond positively.

I personally am in some kind of weird funk and haven't logged in meaningfully in almost two weeks.

*shrugs*
After years of playing here, I have come to the conclusion that the major problem with Origin, is that it has become a breeding ground for "farmers" only. I honestly believe, that in speaking with others that left the shard a few years back, that they were discouraged at the amount of farming going on here and felt as if they didnt stand a chance of survival here because of it.

Im still in amazement at the scripters here. Very seldom do you go to Painted cave that there is not at least one there. FOr some reasons unknown, it does not alot of good to page. Several other places such as the Mesiamas are also prime targets.

Every event we have we are overwhelmed with people from other shards looking for the magic drops and rares, to which they then take back to other shards. Every contest is riddled with people who dont play here, but take the prizes none the less. They are so easy to spot with thier newbie armor and weapons but pretend they are "everyday players". These people look at us as a "small shard" that gives them a larger chance of "winning" or aquiring the prizes.

So all in all, what we have is a shard that is a target of greed.

We could change it, if we are pull together though. Its our shard! We should be smart enough to make the rules the here. We should take control and enact rules to our events and contests that would at least detour thier plans of "better chances". I, myself, didnt event think to do this with the steed contest and look at what happened there. Its happened since and will continue if we dont do something about it.

Our EMs gave us a great museum and place to display history of our shard. Ghost Writer has given us books of our past history. What he has written most of can relate to and remember. But what happens when everything in history is about people who no one here knows, or has ever heard of? Will it be as interesting or as important to have? And where will all the displays of shard specific items be? On another shard?

So, yes, we need to bond together first. Then, we need to make Origin what it used to be, where people wanted to come here to stay and be able to partipate and make this thier home...not a place to watch scripters take all of the resourses and not a place to watch "Prize Gatherers" boost thier egos and pockets with what should be rightfully ours.

F

Fire on Ice

The problem has nothing to do with farmers. every shard has farmers. every shard has people from other shards doing events. one thing other shards don't have is the stupid drama that origin has. a lot of people left do to harassment and childish behavior by the resident players and guilds.
your other problem is the people pvping here. it seems that most of them cant stick to just one guild. you get a guild that seems to be coming out on top and everyone jumps to the guild that seems to be better. Instead of learning they hide behind numbers.
The shard just loses more and more people everyday. I have seen a lot of good people drove away. Look what the residents did to that guild that used to run events. why would you drive off a guild trying to help a shard?
A lot of people on origin need to just grow up, its to small of a shard to have that much drama.

C

Crystal Canyon

The problem has nothing to do with farmers. every shard has farmers. every shard has people from other shards doing events. one thing other shards don't have is the stupid drama that origin has. a lot of people left do to harassment and childish behavior by the resident players and guilds.
your other problem is the people pvping here. it seems that most of them cant stick to just one guild. you get a guild that seems to be coming out on top and everyone jumps to the guild that seems to be better. Instead of learning they hide behind numbers.
The shard just loses more and more people everyday. I have seen a lot of good people drove away. Look what the residents did to that guild that used to run events. why would you drive off a guild trying to help a shard?
A lot of people on origin need to just grow up, its to small of a shard to have that much drama.
THere is also Drama on every shard and people are aware of that. And yes Im sure there are also people who attend shard specific events on other shards as well. The difference is that with so small of a population here, it makes a huge difference.

Honestly the pvp here is good and is no different from most other shards. Yes, people guild hop to the better guilds but who wants to die all the time? LOL. And from what I hear today, there may be at least one more Pvp guild coming to the shard! So, how bad can it be? I would think any of the present pvp guilds would welcome the competition. Hasnt that been one of the main complaints about pvp here, that there isnt "enough action" here to keep pvpers interested?

Sorry to say, but no one "ran off" any guilds here. If drama and harassment were at the center of an entire guild transfering to another shard, then we would have even less players than we do now. YOu have to learn to accept some things people will do out of spite and jealousy and try to go on. NO one can make you leave a shard. That is not possible.

I still believe that if we can curb the greediness of the scripters and Pixel collectors, people will want to come here and make Origin thier home.

Read the history thread of this shard and you can plainly see that people worked together to make Origin a shard that people wanted to come to. Guilds worked together...all the time in fact. I honestly can say that I never saw "greed" here in the beginning. Everyone worked together. People gave and stood together for causes.

Im sure the economy in real life has had a very adverse affect on many people here and on every shard. Not a whole lot we can do about that. But, we can do other things and we will. The EMs coming here will make a difference as will people attending thier events. That is a big start.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EMs can and will be a step in the right direction. But my play experience leads me to believe it is the bond formed in guilds and with other players casually met on the shard that causes people to linger and want to participate at times when they have the opportunity to do so.

L

Lady Tiger

Viquire you're very right about why people leave the shard... Thats one reason LSN left was because of all the drama over the events...now look LSN (now called LSD!) is having thier first event on baja. Oh well I wish origin the best but it's nice to log in and go to the bank and sit and fill bods without the BS. Origin will always be doomed unless they change the way they treat other guilds that come in.

C

Crystal Canyon

I think Origin treats other guilds very well. In fact we had a new guild approach us yesterday about an alliance. They say they have really enjoyed it here so far and like the people they have met.

The only thing I ever really see at the bank is alot of smack talk about pvp. Its all fun and games. Smack talk is expected and honestly just part of PvP. Its not drama...its uhmmm smack talk! LOL

A

Anon McDougle

i think we have people issues on every shard we just dont have a lot of people so its amplified X100 when it goes on.

not many if any new folks so thats out.

so how do we get cranky old vets who are set in thier ways and homes to move.

we need EA/Mythic to offer these "homesteaders" we seek a reason to move.

something no other shard has IE the castles in malas/tokeno

PS in tram(ok sorry to you 14 PVPers we will not touch that)

something anything

maybe make it like seige only one way you can come over but never leave

there is going to come a sad day when we shall have to consolidate the empty shards lets just hope they decide to keep us since we are who we are

C

Crystal Canyon

i think we have people issues on every shard we just dont have a lot of people so its amplified X100 when it goes on.

not many if any new folks so thats out.

so how do we get cranky old vets who are set in thier ways and homes to move.

we need EA/Mythic to offer these "homesteaders" we seek a reason to move.

something no other shard has IE the castles in malas/tokeno

PS in tram(ok sorry to you 14 PVPers we will not touch that)

something anything

maybe make it like seige only one way you can come over but never leave

there is going to come a sad day when we shall have to consolidate the empty shards lets just hope they decide to keep us since we are who we are
Your right. If we had something unique to offer, it would sure help.

I would also agree that it would be neat to be like Siege and make Origin a "one way ticket".

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, one of my biggest pet peeves is the fact so many folks complalin about how low the numbers are here, then they leave. It doesn't help fix the problem folks. Leaving makes it worse :(

On a side note, I've mentioned several times how I would love to be able to run more events, but I'd need help doing them as I don't have the time with my dad and my family to run them solo. So I'll throw this up again. If you'd be interested in running events on a regular basis with CMA/OCM or your own guild, please let me know.

M

Michael Wolf

Personally, let's worry less about what other people do and concentrate more on having fun. With fewer numbers we just need to get better at teaming togther to get stuff done. I've never needed a group of more that 10 to accomplish anything in UO, and I'm sure we can get ten players together if we need them.

C

Crystal Canyon

Honestly, one of my biggest pet peeves is the fact so many folks complalin about how low the numbers are here, then they leave. It doesn't help fix the problem folks. Leaving makes it worse :(

On a side note, I've mentioned several times how I would love to be able to run more events, but I'd need help doing them as I don't have the time with my dad and my family to run them solo. So I'll throw this up again. If you'd be interested in running events on a regular basis with CMA/OCM or your own guild, please let me know.
Yes Cassie, I think you nailed the biggest problem here. People leave because they claim they are bored and not enough people to do anything with. Instead of leaving, they should invite other people to join them here. :D

Anytime you want to have an event we would be more than glad to help out. Just send me a message and we will do whatever you need us to do. I have a few things in mind that might be good events and I know the EMs are going to take care of alot of things for us to do also.

One thing I would love to do is to have regular hunts every week. No one has to change guilds or join any, just get together at least once a week and do Doom or any of the ML dungeons.

Lets get together Cassie and talk about setting up some hunts and such. It might be good if every week one of the guilds on this shard would choose where we will be going and we could take care of posting the day and time and/or getting the word out to everyone on when it will take place.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm totally cool with posting when I'm going hunting and asking for buddies. Solo I can handle some things of decent proportions but I'm by no means 'elite'. I'd enjoy the opportunity to do peerless with a group of players. I tend to play solo and do my own thing mostly so I don't really join or stick with guilds that much. :eek: My play time is varied a lot.

But yes. Those that do move here don't stay long it seems. And the more that move of course the less there are. I think overall for as tiny as Origin is (which is why I like it, small!) there seems to be a decent amount of activity. But that's coming from someone who doesn't manage to make a lot of events and other stuffs.

So really I guess I have nothing to add. :D

F

Flora Green

QFT! In 8 years of playing, multiple guilds and 4 shards full time at some point or another, never have I encountered what I have here. If I ever bother getting the shop running here full time again it will surprise me. It's a shame LSN left, but I completely understand.