• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how about some love for LJ's

Should we have an Item that boosts Wood level?

• Yes

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 13.8%

• Total voters

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give us something similar for wood that the prospector's tool and gargoyle's pickaxe does for ore.
The odds of finding a frostwood tree are ridiculous and 80% of the time as soon as you empty the tree once its gonna respawn as something else. There's just so much joy in spending 5-7 hours looking for frostwood to get maybe 70 logs and than oh boy its now oak, yippeee. :gun:
My lumberjack elf is now collecting dust as its definitly no longer any enjoyment to play with until EA smartens up and gives us something to compensate. I personally would love to have some type of wood dryads jump out of a tree and attack me for using some item that boosts wood levels.

Since they no longer have an ideas den i posted here in the hopes of generating interest and maybe catching a devs eye!

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
your right I should have thought of that *doh*, so following your excellent suggestion I have added a poll

To the second question no I was thinking the item would boost level of wood up one, if like mining we could get 2 items then wood level could be boosted twice. So you still need to find one of the higher woods to get frostwood but atleast you stand a better chance of making frostood

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LJ used to add a bonus to damage done by a swordsman (might still but the bonus was a hard sell for 100 skill points)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It does, but only for Axe weapons.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would now adjust the community collection turn-in points. I remember reading something from Wilke (not sure if it was on a FOF or just a post here) in response to the question about if they were going to look into changing the points scale. His reply was that they would look into making the adjustments but after they made some changes. About 2-4 months after that post they made the randomized change to wood and ore, so I assumed that was the change he was referring to. Shortly afterwards he left, and I hadn't read anything else about adjusting the points.

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
remember reading about that and I understood that it was too easy to get frostwood for points prior to the change to randomizing but with my suggestion you would still need to find atleast bloodwood/heartwood trees to boost and neither of these show up that plentifull to where it would skew the collection points again in my opinion

L

love2winalot

"I pitty the fool that votes No on this poll".

I have no idea why it was not like this to begin with. Wood, does not affect game play, or Ballance. Ingots do, as this is what most armor an weapons are made out of. So, if they get +5 mining gloves, and gargoyle pic ax, and prospectors tool, then LJ should get the same. Right now all we get is the fact that you can cut tree's while mounted.........:coco:

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have no idea why it was not like this to begin with. Wood, does not affect game play, or Ballance. Ingots do, as this is what most armor an weapons are made out of. So, if they get +5 mining gloves, and gargoyle pic ax, and prospectors tool, then LJ should get the same. Right now all we get is the fact that you can cut tree's while mounted.........:coco:
I voted no. :D I think it's good that mining and lumberjacking work differently. If there were more types of wood spread out skillwise like mining, then I would think it's ok to have a prospector type tool for chopping. I don't think it's really needed and I don't see a good reason to make lumberjacking work just like mining.

S

Skwiz

Doesnt the melisande corroded hatchet do exactly that? Bump trees up one level?

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wood types have changed the game a little in that you can enhance things for swing speed, damage increase, hit chance increase and HP regen (I have yet to see a valorite bow).

Maybe what they could do is give out an rare axe recipe from the carpentery heartwood quests. To make the axe you would need something like 1 log, 25 Parasitic Plants, 15 Luminescent Fungi, and 1 Brillant Amber. The axe would only have a certain number of uses. When used, this axe would be the equivelant of the gargoyle's pickaxe in that it bumps the wood type up 1 level and a chance of spawning a Pixie or Dryad depending on the type of wood.

In addition, there could also be a semi-rare tailsman that could be gotten from doing the carpentery heartwood quests, that have limited number of charges and could only be recharged once or twice that when activated would tell you what type of wood the tree would produce and then bump it up to the next level like the prospector's tool.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesnt the melisande corroded hatchet do exactly that? Bump trees up one level?

All it does is give +5 to LJ and is spell channeling. Basically it is the equivelant of the +5 mining gloves except you can't take LJ over GM. It doesn't bump the wood type.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They tell me there are a couple of "products" available to males to boost "wood" level. You could possibly check those out.

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They tell me there are a couple of "products" available to males to boost "wood" level. You could possibly check those out.
I tried rubbing those on the trees but they didnt seem to enhance them at all hehe maybe they dont work for elves lol

I voted no. :D I think it's good that mining and lumberjacking work differently. If there were more types of wood spread out skillwise like mining, then I would think it's ok to have a prospector type tool for chopping. I don't think it's really needed and I don't see a good reason to make lumberjacking work just like mining.
So since all the high end woods can only be gotten when you have from 90-100 LJ skill you dont think we need a tool to get these woods easier?!? Huh, im not asking to increase my skill im looking to increase my chance to get this wood once I have the skill. At present i have a 1% chance of a tree spawning Frostwood, even chopping in fel if i find a frostwood tree i might get between 30-120 frostood and then the tree has an increased chance to respawn as a different wood. Now if I want to make an item in frostwood say the item takes 100 frostwood I might have to find up to 3 frostwood trees to make said item. Now on average most LJ can find a frostwood tree every 3-5 hrs of LJ'ing so to make say a frostood loom I need to spend 9-15 hrs LJ'ing to get enough wood to make 1 Loom, to me this seems absurd. maybe it might be easier with the new tree stumps that spawn wood but does that do anything for the LJ char that i spent hours creating??

F

Forte~

I think these are all decent idea's and that more like them should be used throughout the game. More items should be craftable. More materials should be made a little easier to get from craftable/enhanced items. All the new armor/weapons they have came out with in recent year should have been countered with craftable items of a similar level.

G

Gwendar-SP

Right now I think the only folks who can get high end wood are scripters who can jack 24/7

S

Skwiz

All it does is give +5 to LJ and is spell channeling. Basically it is the equivelant of the +5 mining gloves except you can't take LJ over GM. It doesn't bump the wood type.
Maybe thats what it Should do then..

K

Kyrie_Elaison

I tried rubbing those on the trees but they didnt seem to enhance them at all hehe maybe they dont work for elves lol

So since all the high end woods can only be gotten when you have from 90-100 LJ skill you dont think we need a tool to get these woods easier?!? Huh, im not asking to increase my skill im looking to increase my chance to get this wood once I have the skill. At present i have a 1% chance of a tree spawning Frostwood, even chopping in fel if i find a frostwood tree i might get between 30-120 frostood and then the tree has an increased chance to respawn as a different wood. Now if I want to make an item in frostwood say the item takes 100 frostwood I might have to find up to 3 frostwood trees to make said item. Now on average most LJ can find a frostwood tree every 3-5 hrs of LJ'ing so to make say a frostood loom I need to spend 9-15 hrs LJ'ing to get enough wood to make 1 Loom, to me this seems absurd. maybe it might be easier with the new tree stumps that spawn wood but does that do anything for the LJ char that i spent hours creating??
The trees near my house spawn wood completely different from what you have said here. The spawn changes about once a week. If a tree gives heartwood I can keep going back to that tree for days before it changes to something else.

I have never had a tree change immediately after I harvested it. Just curious if anyone else has noticed the weekly cycle?

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They can make Oak, Ash, hearwood, bloodwood, frostwood, Treefellows

B

BartofCats

The trees near my house spawn wood completely different from what you have said here. The spawn changes about once a week. If a tree gives heartwood I can keep going back to that tree for days before it changes to something else.

I have never had a tree change immediately after I harvested it. Just curious if anyone else has noticed the weekly cycle?
Nope.. .around my house if i actually work the lumberjacking around the house, the trees change their wood every 12 mins on respawn. If im lucky, i will get the same wood colour back to back. I do however like this change but im also all for something that would boost the wood colour as well.

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The higher the wood level the higher the chance it can respawn as something else, im surprised you worked a heartwood tree for a week unless you only worked it once/twice a day. But I have had frostwood trees change during the same day as i found them perhaps others find the same tree and we work it too much, hard to say.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

The higher the wood level the higher the chance it can respawn as something else, im surprised you worked a heartwood tree for a week unless you only worked it once/twice a day. But I have had frostwood trees change during the same day as i found them perhaps others find the same tree and we work it too much, hard to say.
This is interesting. I have been able to work trees with high end woods for a week at a time, and I usually chop wood for an hour or two at a time. I have about 10 trees close to my house that almost always have colored logs, and I just run around to each tree and when I am done they have re-spawned with the same color.

Would be nice to get a Dev to report on how the system is set up. It seems to work on a weekly timer with the trees around my house.

:confused:

S

Shayne

Actually wood can affect the gameplay. You can make armor out of wood, some of the most sought after weapons are made from wood. Heck even the library and museum accept wood in some capacity which can be turned around and sold for rl cash or gold.

Right now I think the only folks who can get high end wood are scripters who can jack 24/7
I agree, so do what they do like everyone else who gets wood does.

T

Turdnugget

Maybe they should allow reapers/treefellows to have % chance to spawn something other than regular wood...

I agree though. Finding the higher end woods is a pita. Few and far between if you don't have a zombie cutting wood for you day in, day out.

B

Boogieman

I back the idea of reapers and treefellows (and perhaps the boglings, corpsers and bog things and other monsters that drops a few log/boards) to have a chance of giving coloured wood. This could even be made depending on your LJ skill - so only GM LJ's would have a chance of finding the high end types...

And perhaps give LJ'ers a sort of slayer bonus towards killing those wood-related monsters (mainly reapers, bog things and treefellows in that case)?

F

Fink

Something like a limited-use "enchanted hatchet", raises the wood type by one level but has a slim chance to spawn an enraged treefellow, which drops say 25 coloured lumber and a piece of amber.

A "foraging tool" could act like the prospecting tool, raising the lumber one level. Unlike the mining items, the foraging tool and enchanted hatchet would not stack for reasons of balance. There are only 6 types of coloured lumber but 8 coloured ore and no lumber is lost when converting to boards whereas smelting can be costly.

These two tools could be available via the carpentry quests in the Heartwood in lieu of having a carpentry bod system. The enchanted hatchet would be much more common than the foraging tool.

:thumbup1:

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TY Fink you explained my idea better in one post than I have done in several.

I picked Dryads as they have already written the code for them to jump out of trees but Treefellows sound just as good. Just figured we should have something different than wood colored El's.

:thumbup1: