• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

HOT Guild Dominates Atlantic, Other People Avoiding Fights With Them

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With HOT back in action recently other people have made a conscious effort to avoid fights with them. Some choice quotes from Atlantic's current active PVPers:

Bane321 said:
Since HOT returned everyone is just hiding.
Sweet I Am said:
We didn't want to mess with Hot I tried got dismounted and we decided to pick on the weaker guild.
De Leet Ed said:
I agree. When its between fighting 6 Hot or 9 FOO we took the easier fight for sure.
Crunch said:
ya when link posted his despise pvp video the other week i knew not to pick on them
Pappy said:
Bane is saying that there were large groups of players that would run around without apples or ethys.
Others are saying "but those people were `hot` guild so they don't count"...which is wrong.
If the logic behind that is `those players aren't the best players` they inadvertently are reinforcing Banes statement of todays comparison as those so called "lesser players" aren't playing anymore (most of them anyways)and not really any new players have started playing.
So there you have it. HOT has quickly reclaimed the title of top PVP guild on Atlantic, and thus UO with Atlantic being the most populated shard.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now we have someone who wants to avoid talking about HOT Guild on the forum. How far will people go to get out of the way of HOT Guild? Quit UO? Stop using the Internet?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's been a rule in the past. Something about quoting personal conversations and in-game communications with permission. Evidently, as with most things involving the stratics staff. It is subjectively applied based on cliques and personal relationships. I'm sure if i were to start quoting personal conversations I would be shut down immediately....

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about those quotes say to you they are a personal conversation?

The real answer is you want to suppress the greatness of HOT Guild.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Are these quotes from off of stratics? If not, I thought you were not allowed to quote others from inside the game with they're names attached. Something about the person saying might not want it posted etc etc.

@Captn Norrington
It has been confirmed these quotes can be seen on other UO forums, but thank you for the concern.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HOT is way too powerful. They know they would be the scariest guild in VvV, that is why they decided not to even partake in those fights.

We thank you for letting us PvP in fel, HOT!

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It has been confirmed these quotes can be seen on other UO forums, but thank you for the concern.
Using that logic anyone can then mimic your name, post on another forum and then quote it here as fact.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Longtooths was probably just one of the people we steamrolled at the Harrower the other night.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are these quotes from off of stratics? If not, I thought you were not allowed to quote others from inside the game with they're names attached. Something about the person saying might not want it posted etc etc.

@Captn Norrington
Sorry for the delay, didn't see this until now.

This is the rule:

"2. Private conversations are to be considered private. They are not to be posted publicly unless all parties of the conversation agree. This applies to any message or communication from any source that is not normally publicly viewable. Private messages can be reported and are subject to our ROC."

The key words are "from any source that is not normally publically viewable". Anything that a person says in game out in the open, or in general chat is fine because anyone would have had a chance to see it if they were there. In game party chat, guild chat, ICQ, or Stratics PM's however are not considered publically viewable since only that particular group could see it.

In this case the quotes he posted are from a publically viewable internet forum that anyone can log into, which as Merlin said has been verified, therefore JC is not breaking any rules by posting them.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's pretty funny watching HoT say "Make way for HoT!" as they walk into Shadowguard, just to see other guilds enter the Roof later than HoT, beat the Roof before HoT, and have half the rooms keyed again before HoT comes out of their one Roof run.

Last edited:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's pretty funny watching HoT say "Make way for HoT!" as they walk into Shadowguard, just to see other guilds enter the Roof later than HoT, beat the Roof before HoT, and have half the rooms keyed again before HoT comes out of their one Roof run.
There is a good reason behind this.

You see, we don't want to turn someone away just because they lack an over-powered sampire. We accept necromancers, mages and even stealth ninjas. We will also not shy away from doing the roof missing a bard.

Maybe we don't plan everything to a T or penalize people who hit Anon with the wrong attack, but we get it done no matter what. Having fun is what counts.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry for the delay, didn't see this until now.

This is the rule:

"2. Private conversations are to be considered private. They are not to be posted publicly unless all parties of the conversation agree. This applies to any message or communication from any source that is not normally publicly viewable. Private messages can be reported and are subject to our ROC."

The key words are "from any source that is not normally publically viewable". Anything that a person says in game out in the open, or in general chat is fine because anyone would have had a chance to see it if they were there. In game party chat, guild chat, ICQ, or Stratics PM's however are not considered publically viewable since only that particular group could see it.

In this case the quotes he posted are from a publically viewable internet forum that anyone can log into, which as Merlin said has been verified, therefore JC is not breaking any rules by posting them.
How do you verify that the copied comment is actually attributed to the real person here on stratics? For instance:

Im a freak in the sheets
Wouldn't you know, there was a character just in local on Lake Austin at the bank named Captn Norrington that just said that....If you would like I can also arrange for them to have said it on some random forum if you wish.....?

You are setting a dangerous residence by saying that anything said in game or on some random forum with no ability to confirm peoples identity is proof enough that a person said it.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a good reason behind this.

You see, we don't want to turn someone away just because they lack an over-powered sampire. We accept necromancers, mages and even stealth ninjas. We will also not shy away from doing the roof missing a bard.

Maybe we don't plan everything to a T or penalize people who hit Anon with the wrong attack, but we get it done no matter what. Having fun is what counts.
Sampires cause a crapload of spawn with their attacks, so they're not that great for the Roof when in a group. I've still done the Roof with Sampires in the group though, which is where having Necros spamming Wither for the spawn is great.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you verify that the copied comment is actually attributed to the real person here on stratics? For instance:

Wouldn't you know, there was a character just in local on Lake Austin at the bank named Captn Norrington that just said that....If you would like I can also arrange for them to have said it on some random forum if you wish.....?

You are setting a dangerous residence by saying that anything said in game or on some random forum with no ability to confirm peoples identity is proof enough that a person said it.
Can confirm all of those people posted on the HOT boards and they are not fake names. Most of them were said being disingenuous, but that is besides the point.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The issue with disallowing that though is if we said no in game comments can be posted, what do we do when someone takes a screenshot of something, and it happens to have 1 sentence of general chat stuff in it, or some people talking got caught in the picture?

Technically, that would be breaking the rule since they unintentionally posted a conversation from in game that may be either good or bad, real or fake.

It would be incredibly unfair to send people warnings just for accidentally catching someone else's conversation in their picture, but yet it would be necessary to avoid "subjectively enforcing rules" as you said earlier.

To avoid the subjective enforcement of rules, the only other option is to allow all publically viewable comments to be posted as long as they don't have swearing, insults etc. in them.

If you have a better idea, we are definitely open to hearing it. Send a group PM to Nexus, Riyana, and me to discuss it if you wish.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The issue with disallowing that though is if we said no in game comments can be posted, what do we do when someone takes a screenshot of something, and it happens to have 1 sentence of general chat stuff in it, or some people talking got caught in the picture?

Technically, that would be breaking the rule since they unintentionally posted a conversation from in game that may be either good or bad, real or fake.

It would be incredibly unfair to send people warnings just for accidentally catching someone else's conversation in their picture, but yet it would be necessary to avoid "subjectively enforcing rules" as you said earlier.

To avoid the subjective enforcement of rules, the only other option is to allow all publically viewable comments to be posted as long as they don't have swearing, insults etc. in them.

If you have a better idea, we are definitely open to hearing it. Send a group PM to Nexus, Riyana, and me to discuss it if you wish.

So to be clear, so long as the quote is publicly available...(from another forum, in game, news article, stratics, etc.) It is ok to quote it and attribute it to the poster or character that said it, without gaining said persons permission or verifying the author. No, No, sounds like a good solid plan as always Norr. What could ever go wrong...

Let the games begin.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you please stop trying to change the conversation? This topic is all about the glorious and mighty HOT Guild.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really, sure fooled a lot of people.
I have a problem with Stratics staff subjectively enforcing their rules. During the recent sale of this site, JC and the staff had discussions and the end result was he backed off buying Stratics. In the past Stratics has enforced rules about quoting other people on the forums; even giving out bans and such for it. In this post they seemingly change/bend the rules to allow it. I feel it is obvious favoritism. That being said I have nothing against JC, The HOT guild or as far as I know anyone in it. My beef is simply to get rules enforced fairly to everyone.

I hope that clears it up.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Longtooths, unfortunately the world is not a fair place. Whether it be posting on internet forums or having gamemasters interfering with pvp. You just have to let it go.

And what better way than to post about the glorious HOT Guild!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a problem with Stratics staff subjectively enforcing their rules. During the recent sale of this site, JC and the staff had discussions and the end result was he backed off buying Stratics. In the past Stratics has enforced rules about quoting other people on the forums; even giving out bans and such for it. In this post they seemingly change/bend the rules to allow it. I feel it is obvious favoritism. That being said I have nothing against JC, The HOT guild or as far as I know anyone in it. My beef is simply to get rules enforced fairly to everyone.

I hope that clears it up.
If by "in the past" you mean 2 years ago when you were on staff yes, that is correct. The rules have been entirely re-written to be more fair since then. On top of that, any rules like that were created/enforced by different owners, and as we are not those people we cannot speak as to why a certain rule was created, or how it was enforced in the past.

As one of the current owners of the site, and the person in charge of the sites moderation and moderation policies, I can tell you with 100% certainty that what I explained above is how the rule works. I can also guarantee you that JC being the original poster here had no impact at all on the decision. If you have a problem with that, so be it, but I offered you a chance to send us a PM with a better idea and you did not. Since you did not send us a message suggesting something else, that must mean you are ok with the current rule regardless of what you have posted here.

Thank you for your concern on this topic. This will be my last reply here.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, I read this thread, and I"m not even sure why lol...It must be because HOT RULES!!!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
As one of the current owners of the site.
What do you mean by one of the "owners" of the site?

This site is owned by all Stratics Users. Governed by a board of directors......

Might need to rephrase that my good friend.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What do you mean by one of the "owners" of the site?

This site is owned by all Stratics Users. Governed by a board of directors......

Might need to rephrase that my good friend.
Yes but since legally we had to list ourselves as owners in order to buy the site for the community, both titles are accurate. It's kind of hard to explain to the government that the website is owned by 100's of people hehe ;)

They need someone to be able to point to and say "it's their fault" if something goes wrong with the site legally like tax evasion or other problems, so they require at least one official owner to be named on the paperwork regardless of the community-oriented ownership model we set up for the site.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you please respect the wishes of the original poster and refrain from posting anything not related to the HOT guild in this thread? There are countless other threads you can post your other topics in and there is even a feature to start a brand new thread if you so desire.

Please do not trample all over HOT's goal to have one thread for ourselves. You don't see us going in and posting about HOT in other threads.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow you're really bitter, and it's become quite unattractive..but I"m not really an atlantic member, so I"ll just leave with that ...