• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Home Security Question

Andyf

Adventurer
Hello,

Last night I had an issue with items disappearing in my house and i can't seem to figure out what exactly happened.

I had briefly unsecured a chest that was on the second level floor of my house in order to move a few things around. In that time items started disappearing and it seemed like another player was looting those items. While my cursor was over the chest I was watching the stone weight drop.

Didn't realize you could detect hidden in a house.
The house was set to private.
Realized after that the front door was set to allow anyone entry.
The chest was unsecured and released at the time.
The chest in question was BRIEFlY unsecured on the ground while this happened (10-15 seconds).

Is it possible that someone had stealthed or gained access through other means?? Just confused.

Edit:::: No one else was listed as a co owner or friend on the house. I had also just recently customized the house.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the house is set to private and doors are open then nobody should be able to enter. If you have people accessed they might well of been hiding inside and looted items.

If you just want to remove some items then keep the container secured and just take the items out next time. No need to release it. Make sure the container security is set to "only me".

Setup a detect hidden macro. It will search all the house and reveal anybody hidden.

Andyf

Adventurer
Yeah, I know for a fact I had nobody with access which makes this even more confusing. Thanks for the reply though.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I know for a fact I had nobody with access which makes this even more confusing. Thanks for the reply though.
Yeah that is a strange one in that case then.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
SIlly question. Was the second floor with walls or without walls or was the container near an area without walls?

Just thinking if they could have been at the outside of the house and pulling things from an angle or script.

Andyf

Adventurer
I figured that might be the case strangely enough the chest was surrounded by full walls. I was thinking someone may have gotten in during customization because it seemed someone was DDOSING me the other day when I was trying to originally place and customize the house....

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
anytime i've tried to enter a private house (by accident) i bounce off the steps. did you have any newbie items in the chest that would decay quickly, like practice weapons or old clothes?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First House on Private NO ONE who isn't on the Friends/Co-owners list can enter.

Second Using Detect Hidden in your own home works 100% of the time with 100% accuracy except on other people in your house who are co-owned or owners.

Also it sometimes does NOT work in a Castle if the person in question happens to be in your courtyard at the time. Also does NOT work if you target anything other than the actual FLOOR of your house.... do NOT target Carpet or any other item that might be on your floor.

Finally... Since they upped the decay rate of items things that are "newbied" or "Blessed" as in server blessed will vanish in a VERY Short few seconds. Also since they seem to have borked grass and snow tiles some did you have any of those in there?

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Since you customized the house check the doors security, they seem to change after doing that.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Since you customized the house check the doors security, they seem to change after doing that.
If it's a private home with no friends or co-owners, door security wouldn't matter.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Years ago, I had a newly made character in the private house of another account's character. To my surprise, a player approached me inside the home and asked if I needed any help. I told them no and to please leave my home. I presume this was someone who used to be a counselor with special powers to assist newbies. However this was well after the counselor program was terminated. That is the only means I know of how someone (who is not a GM) could come into a private house and not be detected. Not sure if that might be the answer, but certainly makes me edgy thinking about it.

Last edited:

Andyf

Adventurer
Years ago, I had a newly made character in the private house of another account's character. To my surprise, a player approached me inside the home and asked if I needed any help. I told them no and to please leave my home. I presume this was someone who used to be a counselor with special powers to assist newbies. However this was well after the counselor program was terminated. That is the only means I know of how someone (who is not a GM) could come into a private house and not be detected. Not sure if that might be the answer, but certainly makes me edgy thinking about it.

I think this is the only viable explanation I can come up with as well.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think this is the only viable explanation I can come up with as well.
Couple options.

There is absolutely a way to pull items from outside the house at certain angles.

A shady ass advisor is dragging his toons into the house to loot you

things are decaying faster than you are locking them down.

if there was an item under the chest and you removed it it is possible the chest fell below the house.

Tips:

1. when decoing or moving items always detect hidden before doing anything.

2. after locking an item down or securing it make sure to try picking it up

3. also after locking an item down use the interior decorator tool on the item. just move it up and down

4. I believe paper lanterns can be locked down to detect other players and even GMs/advisors still.

5. try to use the retrieve function only. single click and hit retrieve.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Couple options.

There is absolutely a way to pull items from outside the house at certain angles.

A shady ass advisor is dragging his toons into the house to loot you

things are decaying faster than you are locking them down.

if there was an item under the chest and you removed it it is possible the chest fell below the house.

Tips:

1. when decoing or moving items always detect hidden before doing anything.

2. after locking an item down or securing it make sure to try picking it up

3. also after locking an item down use the interior decorator tool on the item. just move it up and down

4. I believe paper lanterns can be locked down to detect other players and even GMs/advisors still.

5. try to use the retrieve function only. single click and hit retrieve.
These are good tips... I never trade with anyone much without using retrieve... it's a great skill and it keeps cheaters from forking you over...

And Detect Hidden works 100% of the time for you in your own home even if you have 0 skill in it.

Always check chests and such after locking them.... sometimes you miss the "That would exceed the Secure Storage Limit of This House" message if you are busy... and can easily lose good items that way.

Also if you frequently use "Honor" it seems to mess up your commands and sometimes it won't let you use them successfully.... if things are not working for you when you say "I wish to lock this down" or "I wish to Secure this".... it can often be due to this bug... I fix it by going out and honoring some small creature and killing it... seems to "fix" the problem.