• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Holding a Pick

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I've had enough of my miner having to wield a sword, staff or anything other than a mining tool. It's just absurd he can't wield a pickaxe.

I

imperterritus

Is your miner a gargoyle? That's the only reason I can think that you couldn't wield pickaxe. I'm not even sure gargoyle's can't wield them. They can yield crooks, so maybe "tools of the trade" are exemped (except for logging).

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Miners can't wield a pickaxe because it's a tool. You can't use a pick or shovel in your pack while holding a tool in your hands. A long time ago you could.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Miners can't wield a pickaxe because it's a tool. You can't use a pick or shovel in your pack while holding a tool in your hands. A long time ago you could.
MY miner wields a pickaxe

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MY miner wields a pickaxe
So are you using that pick then, and replacing it when it's worn out. What I'm talking about is a nice spell channeling, pickaxe with mods on it. I don't want to actually use that pick. I wanna use the shovels and picks in my backpack.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
So are you using that pick then, and replacing it when it's worn out. What I'm talking about is a nice spell channeling, pickaxe with mods on it. I don't want to actually use that pick. I wanna use the shovels and picks in my backpack.
ok i see what your saying do you use EC? if so you could have the pickaxe armed and you should be able make a macro that uses shovels in your pack! if this is what you mean let me know and I can test it and try the macro out to make sure and then post it here!

K

Kallie Pigeon

Pickaxes are actually weapons and can be armed and used ( swords skills.) I considered making my miner a swordsman but decided a macer would be more appropriate (and also I wanted to make use of the nice macing weapons I was looting off monsters)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok i see what your saying do you use EC? if so you could have the pickaxe armed and you should be able make a macro that uses shovels in your pack! if this is what you mean let me know and I can test it and try the macro out to make sure and then post it here!
I've been using the EC for a while now but I haven't tried to mine when holding my favorite pick in it yet. It cannot be done in the classic client for sure. You can't use tool in your pack while also holding one in your hand. Although you can with an ASH hammer, go figure.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have mining stoned off atm but just try this !
make a normal pick axe and note how many uses it has!
then place in your pack a shovel
then make a macro to use shovel
basicly just drop the target by resourse into your macro the right click on it click edit and drop shovel into box that shows up and then select repeat x 10 and you should be good to go test it and make sure no uses are coming off of the pick axe in your hands
now if you are using pickaxes to dig and have your GOOD pickaxe in pack it may try to use it then! if its in your hand it may not but you could test it also!
hope that helps

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, same in the EC. Message "if you have a tool equipped, you must use that tool." Sucketh. LOL

I always use shovels. Cheaper and lighter than picks.

K

Kallie Pigeon

Well that is a bummer. I'm not sure why it forces you to use the one in your hand. I guess I never noticed since I always mine with a mace in my hand.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
That does suck! I would send in a report! not that it will get fixed anytime soon. but it couldn't hurt to try

B

bosskram

Try the hammerpick it kind of looks right and its not a tool so you should be able to equip it with what ever mods you want and still use the picks in your backpack. I know its not exactly the same but its as close as your going to get I think. The hammerpick is also a maceing weapon so you don't need to change skills. I assume that you are role playing and want the paperdoll to look like a miner.....