• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hit Lower Defense Question

L

Larry

I'm trying to figure out how HLD works with the DCI cap.

Let's say I have 80 DCI. When someone hits me with HLD, does my DCI change down from 80? or 45?

M

Malkes

I *think* that it would take it down from 80. Similar to how Lightning Strike works: It gives you a higher than maximum amount of Hit Chance Increase, but if you are under the effect of Hit Lower Attack, you get the full 50% HCI.

Because of how that works, I'd say that DCI works much the same.

I admit though that I could be VERY wrong on this, and someone else might know much better how to answer this question than I.

C

Connor_Graham

HLD decreases your DCI from whatever level it's at, even if over cap.

C

Chaosy

If you have 80 DCI, HLD takes off 25, putting it at 55. This is still well over the 45 cap, so in a sense you'll always have 45 no matter what.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I'm trying to figure out how HLD works with the DCI cap.

Let's say I have 80 DCI. When someone hits me with HLD, does my DCI change down from 80? or 45?
Tactically, Hit Lower Defense and Hit Chance Increase (HCI) appear quite similar. In fact, the two properties are entirely different. HLD affects the defense of what you hit, while HCI is your chance to hit in the first place. It may sound like the same thing, but it isn't. HLD requires you to hit someone / something before there is a chance for it to work. Whereas HCI works everytime you hit.

Example:

Opponent has max Weapon Skill (120) + max DCI (45%)

You have max Weapon Skill (120) + max HCI (45%)

Result:
You have a 50/50 chance to hit or miss.

But if you score an HLD hit, the next round is...

Opponent has max Weapon Skill (120) + 20% DCI

You have max Weapon Skill (120) + max HCI (45%)

Result:
For this example, you now have a much better than 50/50 chance to hit for the duration of the HLD effect.

Another way to look at it is that HLD stacks with HCI, once a target is affected.

HLD Proofing

An opponent with a cumulative Defense Chance Increase of 70% or more will nullify any HLD hit