• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hints and tips

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a copy/paste of the information posted on UOHerald by Calvin Crowner:

New Client Tips and Tricks

• The new client is free to download and use (you will still have to pay for the expansion content once it is released)
  • The new client Installer download is only 18 megabytes. The first time you patch, it will download the bulk of the game (approximately 2.0 gb)
  • The new client patcher will automatically resume the next time you launch it if it is interrupted.
  • The first time the client is run, all of the settings will default to “legacy”. If you wish to use the Kingdom Reborn style targeting, chat (enter to type), and containers, you need to change this in the options under the “Legacy” tab.
  • The new client will try to adjust your graphics settings to match your computer but it may not always get it perfect. Here is an explanation of some of the important options you might not be aware of:
    • (Graphics) Max Framerate – Increasing this number will reduce overall performance, but the movement will feel smoother on powerful graphics cards.
    • (Graphics) Show Shadows – Turning off shadows can give a significant increase in performance on older systems.
    • (Graphics) Enable Vsync – Turning this on may reduce overall performance but will correct screen “tearing” when running in the game.
    • (Graphics) Particle Filter – Particle effects tend to slow down older and lower end graphics cards. This option allows you to specify what particle effects you see.
    • (Input) – Unlike the classic (2d) client many of the common commands can be bound directly to a key without creating a macro.
    • (Options) Enable UI Scale – Some players feel that the UI is too large. If you wish make the UI smaller, you can enable this option and adjust the scale with the slider.
  • Unlike the classic client (2d), you can adjust your in-game play window to any size by grabbing the arrow in the bottom right corner and dragging.
  • In windowed mode, you can also adjust the size of the client window like legacy. NOTE: Decreasing the size of the client window will increase performance.
  • To lock the chat window, right click on the orange button in the bottom left of the chat window and select “Lock Window”. This will cause it to appear more like the classic (2d) system window.
  • By default, the journal window is attached to the main chat window. With the chat window unlocked, you can drag this tab off to make it a separate window.
  • The macro editor can be accessed via the Main Menu. To add items to a macro, drag them from other places in the UI (such as the spell book, skill window, backpack etc). Many of the actions for macros can be found in the Actions Window.
  • Macros from the macro list can either be assigned to a hotkey or dragged to a hotbar slot.
  • Actions can be directly placed on the hotbar from the Actions Window without having to make a macro.
  • The icons for character stats in the “Character Sheet” window can be dragged to your hotbar for easy monitoring. The icon next to your tithing points in the Chivalry book can also be placed on your hotbar.
  • Any stackable item such as gold or reagents can be placed on your hotbar. The number on the hotbar will indicate how many total of this item you have on you.
  • You can monitor the progress of your skills by clicking on the "Show Tracker" button in the Skills Window.
  • There is no limit to the number of hotbars you may have. Spawn a new hotbar by right-clicking on an existing one and selecting “New Hotbar”
  • You can also resize a hotbar by grabbing the arrow in the bottom right corner and dragging. If you stretch it to be taller than it is long, it will turn into a vertical hotbar.
  • The mouse wheel can be bound to different targeting actions in the Input Tab of the Settings Window.
  • The Bug Report tool is a valuable asset to the development team and the best way to submit feedback about the new client. It can be accessed from the Main Menu.

Troubleshooting

• There is a known issue on certain systems where the mouse will not correctly line up with UI elements. You can fix this by turning off the window frame (in the graphics tab of the options menu) or playing in fullscreen mode.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have this to add for people with multiple PCs that want to install SA on. Install and patch on one PC.

On the second PC, install but down't start or patch. Just copy over the files from the 1st PC. Should save the hours of patching.

Edit: I have 2 PCs with the same exact specs, haven't tried on my laptop yet. So I'm not sure if the client does any hardware detection that may prohibit this method.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new client patcher will automatically resume the next time you launch it if it is interrupted.

Um, lie. Got to 91%, a crash happened because a file was not found and when I went to start the patch again, it completely started over.
Awesome. I don't want to wait another 5 hours.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new client patcher will automatically resume the next time you launch it if it is interrupted.

Um, lie. Got to 91%, a crash happened because a file was not found and when I went to start the patch again, it completely started over.
Awesome. I don't want to wait another 5 hours.
It will appear to start over, but it won't re-download everything. Everything you already downloaded and patched is considered "up-to-date" and not part of your new patching process.
So the first time through, you needed to get a few gigs worth of files.
This time through, you've already got most of them... so you only have a few megs worth left to get. You should be able to finish it all off in about half an hour, if the 5 hour and 91% marks are accurate, and transfer speeds remain constant.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I have this to add for people with multiple PCs that want to install SA on. Install and patch on one PC.

On the second PC, install but down't start or patch. Just copy over the files from the 1st PC. Should save the hours of patching.

Edit: I have 2 PCs with the same exact specs, haven't tried on my laptop yet. So I'm not sure if the client does any hardware detection that may prohibit this method.
Do what Harlequin stated But only copy the *.UOP Files, any file that does not end in .UOP will be patched in about 2 minutes, and they are the hardware specific files and a few other files that the game needs. *tips hat*

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I havent found any hardware specific files yet. Installed the client and patched it on my custom build phenom PC. Copied to multiple different intel and amd based systems and nothing had to patch :)

However, when you download, it appears the client does a checksum on the files before it installs them. This may be why it restarted on you, as when you crashed the download was corrupted in some way on one of the huge .uop files...

A

AtlanteanAngel

Apologies for this @@" question, but :
Calvin Crowner wrote : There is no limit to the number of hotbars you may have. Spawn a new hotbar by right-clicking on an existing one and selecting “New Hotbar”.

Uhhh, I don't seem to even have a single hotbar. Is there any way to spawn a new hotbar from none?

Many thanks.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apologies for this @@" question, but :
Calvin Crowner wrote : There is no limit to the number of hotbars you may have. Spawn a new hotbar by right-clicking on an existing one and selecting “New Hotbar”.

Uhhh, I don't seem to even have a single hotbar. Is there any way to spawn a new hotbar from none?

Many thanks.
You should have one hotbar that you cannot delete...
Can you post a screenshot?

F

Fink

Your default hotbar may be off-screen to the right or bottom. Try scaling the interface down and see if it appears, then drag it to the upper left, then reset your interface scaling as desired and position your hotbar where you want it.

A

AtlanteanAngel

Hi Gildar and Fink,

Thanks for replying.

Well there are two 'bars' that I cannot delete. One of them is the F1 to F12 shortcut bar, but... *DOH!*

Wow hey thanks. Ok problem solved. I had the impression right clicking it didn't work in the past. But it's working fine now. I just spawned another bar. Whew.

Thanks again, Gildar and Fink! :)

You should have one hotbar that you cannot delete...
Can you post a screenshot?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A performance tip. I have found using Mz CPU Accelerator to switch the processor affinity to processor 1 (second processor) improved my performance a great deal. I've been having horrible performance problems. I'm still having some very specific issues, but this seemed to really help generally.

F

Fink

Something that has boosted my EC performance significantly is running the game directly from UOSA.exe.

The patcher floating in the background seems to bog me down greatly and for no good reason.

Perhaps the developers could make the patcher module exit after it has done its job?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Perhaps the developers could make the patcher module exit after it has done its job?
I think you need to submit a bug report on that. The patcher doesn't continue running on my computer after it has launched the main program.

F

Fink

Everything I mention here is already bug reported before I post.

I suspect the reason I seem to have recurring issues is that they're sick of hearing from me.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Everything I mention here is already bug reported before I post.

I suspect the reason I seem to have recurring issues is that they're sick of hearing from me.
Well there's nothing wrong with them getting bug reports from more than one source. I just hope their in game bug reporting sends in system information with the bug report.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I just downloaded and installed the EC.. Seems to run fine. One question though... Whats the golden ring circling around me? Is there an instruction manual somewhere I can look up my questions?