• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

High Res revamp put on back burner...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

From Grimm via Facebook/Twitter:

Ack! With all the stuff going on for live events, I'm having to put the high res work on the back burner for a bit! Nooooo!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

From Grimm via Facebook/Twitter:

Ack! With all the stuff going on for live events, I'm having to put the high res work on the back burner for a bit! Nooooo!
I hope just 1 thing: since they are working on wall tiles, I hope they are going to add the missing wall/roof parts :)

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also cant understand for what this high res stuff should be good for? The result of the so called enviroment was more than disappointing, for me the engine is more important the stability and the performance. Maybe there is a day i can play UO more than half a day without fearing a crash or a performance leak, maybe not who knows.

If you want high res enviroment turn back on the Kingdom Reborn enviroment thats good work, also if you want good rain, turn back the Kingdom Reborn rain, etc. etc, not all was good, but use what you got instead of creating new.

I would say not dead but ill ;) thats how i would describe the state of now.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*feigns shock*

rolleyes:

This (the EC) obviously isn't a high priority for Mythic.

UO will continue to languish in '96 era sprites crappily slapped into a modern engine. No NEW subscribers will be gained.

WTG.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Hey Storm... I did not mean to butt in. it is hard enough to have a decent discussion about clients, graphics and such else where... I just would hate to see it degenerate on the one forum dedicated to EC.

Besides... Skype sucks right now and I can not visit with you there. Sorry about that lock on Uhall... Just sayin'.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Not a problem Kelmo! I will NOT have this forum be a fighting ground so any help is great!

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well that sucks,

i know alot of players dont like the EC, but i for one playing uo on my tv @ 1080p am not going to sit on the CC, (i cannot see anything as it is way to small)

so actually i was really looking forward to the EC art update,

like others have said, i fear this will be lost now not delayed,

im not saying this to client bash, just dissapointed that things are being dropped, again

one can only hope...

W

Woodsman

I will NOT have this forum be a fighting ground so any help is great!
I wish that had happened in UHall, I didn't want a thread that turned into EC vs CC, I wanted a thread that discussed why this was being put on the back burner in place of live events.

Unfortunately some folks know that if they turn it into an EC/CC flamefest it would get locked :(

I guess I should have put in the title "NO EC vs CC please!"

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Doesn't matter, certain posters will turn any thread with anything involving the EC into a client war. Yeah I get involved too, mainly to dispel falsehoods as I see them, however it seems that ANY thread that has a screencap in the EC has this inevitability (much like any discussion over the future of the client in the recent past had a certain poster derailing it for his "proven" rumours).

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This is the EC forum so any discussion of things pertaining to the EC are fine here as long as they o bide by the TOS any EC VS CC is not welcome from either side!
I ask that posters respect the others that post here and even those that view this forum like other mods and Developers!

Those are the rules :) Enjoy and discuss away

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Not on this forum... I do apologize for shutting some discussions on Uhall off. When it turns to a rant fest... there is no point. I do know some DEVs visit this forum. I have seen 'em :eyes:

Classic Client is what it is. The corporation has promised to keep it viable. What choice do they have?

W

Woodsman

Not on this forum... I do apologize for shutting some discussions on Uhall off. When it turns to a rant fest... there is no point. I do know some DEVs visit this forum. I have seen 'em :eyes:
It's not your fault.

I should have spelled out in the thread title "NO EC VS CC DISCUSSIONS PLEASE".

There would still be some looking to get discussion of the EC squelched by turning it into a flamefest, but it would make it easier on the mods to clean it up.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
FYI I did some clean up of some of the posts!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I just want to say... I respect anyone's decision as to what client they play. The corporation has already said Classic will be carried along. Classic will be kept viable as long as this game exists. I would be happy with that, just sayin'.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually thought floor tiles they worked on an added looked quite nice. The thing is though, given the history of things being left on the back burner (where they slowly burn to ash and vanish entirely), we now have a situation where all the outdoor floor tiles are high resolution and they look a bit out of place next to the existing walls (Magincia Bank is a place where this is most striking to me).

I am hoping it is only a very temporary pause and it's 'cause they are working on art for the new arc.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well i understand with the event and publish being busy! With that said I think this will determine for me if we have a good producer or just some one who talks a big story! I will wait a while and see before deciding !

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
. The corporation has promised to keep it viable. What choice do they have?
They shouldn't have promised that. The day they decided to put 2d graphics into the KR client and call it the EC, they should have killed the 2d client.

Just saying.

And they have all the choice in the world... it's their game, we are merely the ones paying for the pleasure of playing.

W

Woodsman

Well i understand with the event and publish being busy! With that said I think this will determine for me if we have a good producer or just some one who talks a big story! I will wait a while and see before deciding !
This is how I feel. If he's serious about bringing in new visitors, the high resolution update will be treated seriously.

Having it put on the back burner because of live events does not inspire much confidence.

Then again, if BioWare were actually committed to UO, they would have hired a few new people so that live events do not impact key parts of their plans to bring in new players.

S

spitfire12

RELEASE THE KR ORIGINAL HIGH RES TEXUTRES.

THIS IS PATHETIC. SHOUL DHAV EBEEN OUT LONG TIME AGO

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't need to wait long he promised a letter by the end of this month... that was sometime at the beginning of the month. Here we are at the end... and I see no letter at all...

Wait while I put on my shocked face...

:eek: NOT.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is how I feel. If he's serious about bringing in new visitors, the high resolution update will be treated seriously.

Having it put on the back burner because of live events does not inspire much confidence.

Then again, if BioWare were actually committed to UO, they would have hired a few new people so that live events do not impact key parts of their plans to bring in new players.
I am over simplifying things, but delivery dates are based on estimates given by developers and artists.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put on the back burner to me means like it's never going to happen. Given the track record the last few years.

I mean...what could be more important that getting some higher resolution graphics into UO to draw in some new players?

Live events...that's laughable.

What they should be doing is stop everything and work only on high resolution graphics and nothing else until they get that into the game.

Sad. The writing is clearly on the wall:sad3:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put on the back burner to me means like it's never going to happen. Given the track record the last few years.

I mean...what could be more important that getting some higher resolution graphics into UO to draw in some new players?

Live events...that's laughable.

What they should be doing is stop everything and work only on high resolution graphics and nothing else until they get that into the game.

Sad. The writing is clearly on the wall:sad3:
a full 3d game is never going to happen...

Grimm already told what price we should pay and honestly is not acceptable.

He said that there will be a new client with the same feature of UO in 1997 and a different server (so you must start over). Then we should stay without any news (not even a holiday card) for more than 1 year.
Obviously knowing the EA the graphic could be worst than now...

So the high res upgrade is the only thing we can have :p

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a full 3d game is never going to happen...

Grimm already told what price we should pay and honestly is not acceptable.

He said that there will be a new client with the same feature of UO in 1997 and a different server (so you must start over). Then we should stay without any news (not even a holiday card) for more than 1 year.
Obviously knowing the EA the graphic could be worst than now...

So the high res upgrade is the only thing we can have :p
Maybe iam blinded but i see no difference at all, so i dont care about the high res update, we saw with Kingdom Reborn which was 4 years ago what is possible and it should be more possible.

But how i said UO is not dead, but ill. All i hope is they finish the client now fix the bugs crashbugs especially, the duplicate bug and the naked bug and then they can finish the game and let it run.

We have also to see without even one booster or expansion in the near future development is on the backburner, maybe we can hope that somedays there will be a revieve of Ultima Online.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FYI, the high res stuff is definitely just on the backburner. I have conversations pretty regularly about it with Jeff and Mesanna. Jeff can speak for himself, but I'll tell you he's very much in support of this getting accomplished.

Cheers,
-Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
FYI, the high res stuff is definitely just on the backburner. I have conversations pretty regularly about it with Jeff and Mesanna. Jeff can speak for himself, but I'll tell you he's very much in support of this getting accomplished.

Cheers,
-Grimm
:thumbup::eyes:

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have a lot of complaints about the EC. Graphics and of course the crash to desktop being my two main concerns. Overall I'm not a big whiner about the graphics.

One area though about the EC graphics has bothered me since I first started using it and it does not seem to have been improved at all. The classic backpack.

Classic

vs.

The EC

I'm not an expert on 2d/3d graphics and modeling like some of you but man, is it really that hard with modern technology and programs to make 15 year old graphics look good, the same or even better?

I sure hope the flame on the back burner doesn't go out.