• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

High plains Boras

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone have a clue what these might be good for? What specials do they perform? Do they provide resources? Why are they tameable ???

H

HellaFarris

Tame one, train it, take it hunting, find out what it's good for.

Then you can submit the results to stratics for future curious people :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used a pair of lowland bouras today to kill a wild greater dragon. One of the bouras was almost completely trained (GM in everything except resisting spells, which was at about 81). The other one was still very much in training.

They died a few times each and we had to back away a couple of times so I could rez them up and gate to the bank once to grab more bandages. But in the end, good old head-butting and lots of vetting and healing did the trick. I'm anxious to try it again once they are both completely trained and see how it goes. I may also try bonding a pair of the high plains bouras and see if there is a significant difference. I grabbed the lowland bouras because they were easier for my newbish tamer to get.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With 60 taming and lore, a high plains boura can be yours to play with.

The combination of high plains and lowland boura takes up 5 taming slots.

The combination together is almost as effective as a cu sidhe, but requires a lot more maintenance (vetting, healing, ressing).

This means that with a pair of boura, a new character can handle most of the game content.

The disadvantages are that they are terribly slow and they do take more work to play with than a higher end pet. But I highly recommend them for the new tamer who wants to play every once in a while rather than work skills all the time. As soon as you are skilled enough for a pair of bake kitsune, then switch over immediately.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once they get their dex maxed out, the lowland bouras actually move pretty fast. But yes, they do take a while to kill stuff. Also, their poison resist is not very high, so you must have decent vet skill to keep them alive if you're going up against something that poisons.

They're definitely a boon for new tamers, especially considering how much gold you need these days to buy power scrolls, given that about all you'll probably find on most shards are 120s.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

The Highland Boura always give pelts where as the Ruddy & Lowland only occasionally do. So they're better for farming when you need pelts for Imbuing.

(Probably not what info you're after in this forum but just some extra info.)

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Anyone have a clue what these might be good for? What specials do they perform? Do they provide resources? Why are they tameable ???
Very close to the question I have. Heard that the high plains/lowland combo was good for moderate level tamers so wanted to try that with some archery. So I am training my boura and got bored training them against each other and took them out to train against blood elementals. They do well there until a paragon pops...then its easily out of control. So I am back in my yard with them until I get the lowlands up to 100 on wrestle and tac. Now he has pack instincts, but the high plains is doing something too. Sometimes the lowlands *looks confused*, soemtimes he gets red sparklies on him and sometimes the same sparklies a disco'd animal gets. I am using 2D. Any ideas?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ha! I completely overlooked that these things have pack instinct. Nice. (Edited to add: Pack instinct seems to only apply to lowland bouras and probably ruddy bouras. I guess that makes sense since the high plains bouras are a 3-control slot pet and you could never have two out at once.)

Anyway, Luka I think they all do a head-butting attack that leaves their opponent "looking confused" and probably also causes the sparkly "seeing stars" effect you've noticed. I'm not sure about this, but I'd guess that the high plains bouras, being stronger, probably do that attack ore often than the lowland bouras.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
you may be right there cause the sparklies don't last very long like a debuff would

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I'm going to easily fall in love with these things, both the high plains and lowland versions! I haven't found a lot of good statistical info about them though. Below are the post-tamed stats on the best two high plains bouras I found this morning after loring and killing 30-40 of them. Would be nice if perhaps a few more people could post what their best stats are so far so we can figure out some real maximums for these things.

Hits: 662
Strength: 501
Resists: 57 / 34 / 56 / 48 / 40

Hits: 682
Strength: 470
Resists: 60 / 36 / 54 / 49 / 35

For lowland bouras, of the ones I've tamed so far, I think the max hit points I've seen is 567 and max strength has been 447. (On both types of bouras, dex and intelligence raise with training and I think will max out at 125 on every pet, given sufficient training.) Max resists for the lowland bouras seems to be 60 / 40 / 20 / 40 / 40.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
my tamed lowlands has 444 HPs and the high plains is almost 200 more. Other than that their stats are very similar, tho I made no attempt to find ones with high untamed stats. Next time I go farming pelts I will note stats and let ya know what I come up with for highs.

dex and int maxed at 125 on both mine

Y

Yin_Atl

of the bouras i've seen
Highlands were 651 hp 539 str 65\40\58\50\40
Lowlands were 595 hp 440 str 60\40\20\40\40

my highlands i kept 651 hp 539 str 60\35\57\47\38
there being hunted like buffalo for ingredients though so may be hard to farm good one

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ruddy boura are nice because they take 0 taming to control, like a horse or a pack beetle.

They do no specials and have no pack instinct, but still hit decently and have enough hit points that a mage can easily keep them alive, making them as good as energy vortexes until they go and die on you.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I lored about 31 high plains bouras tonight and came up with the following maximums, minimums, and averages for their hit points, strength, and resists.

Maximums
Hit Points: 653
Strength: 543
Resists: 65 / 40 / 60 / 50 / 40

Minimums
Hit Points: 576
Strength: 369 (yeah, really!)
Resists: 55 / 30 / 50 / 40 / 30

Averages
Hit Points: 617
Strength: 461
Resists: 60 / 35 / 56 / 45 / 35

I didn't really pay attention to the skill numbers until almost done for the night, so the following information is based on just 14 readings and the numbers are before taming:

Wrestling: Max - 109.5, Min - 100, Avg - 106
Tactics: Max - 103.9, Min - 96.4, Avg - 100
Anatomy: Max - 103.5, Min - 95.8, Avg - 100

I didn't make note of any Resisting Spells values, other than that it was always in the 68-73 range.

Edited to add: Just realized the two high plains bouras I tamed this morning had more hit points than anything I saw tonight. I'll throw their info into the spreadsheet tomorrow and readjust the numbers above. Grrrr. Guess that's what you do when you're rushing at 1:00 am. Sorry.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drop me a reminder when these figures are finalised, I'll enter them in hunter's guide :)

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
out of the 20 high plains I lored before taking my furry cow to train on lowlands, only one had a higher stat than you posted at that was a Tac of 108.8

don't know if you have seen this but when skinning I accidently tried to 'skin' my living boura and it 'refused' to be sheared.

S

Sir Kenga

Those sparkles... When i hunt for pelts and get hit with it, it says something like i'm being hit by boura's tail. So i guess it's some kind of extra damage attack.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
out of the 20 high plains I lored before taking my furry cow to train on lowlands, only one had a higher stat than you posted at that was a Tac of 108.8

don't know if you have seen this but when skinning I accidently tried to 'skin' my living boura and it 'refused' to be sheared.
Yeah, they only let you get away with shearing them once.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lored more high plains bouras this morning and threw in the stats for the two I tamed yesterday morning. Here are the results for hit points, strength, and resists based on 50 readings:

Maximums
Hit Points: 682
Strength: 543
Resists: 65 / 40 / 60 / 50 / 40

Minimums
Hit Points: 576
Strength: 369
Resists: 55 / 30 / 50 / 40 / 30

Averages
Hit Points: 625
Strength: 460
Resists: 60 / 35 / 55 / 45 / 35

Skills came out as follows based on about 31 readings for wrestling, tactics and anatomy and 17 readings for resisting spells:

Wrestling: Max - 109.6, Min - 99.8, Avg - 105
Tactics: Max - 103.9, Min - 96.4, Avg - 100
Resisting Spells: Max -73 , Min - 66.1 , Avg - 70
Anatomy: Max - 104.5, Min - 95.8, Avg - 100

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks all I'll be sure to let my tamer buddies know. I had alot of ppl asking me about them and wasn't much info on them. Now if only we could get special saddles to ride certain pets. HEY DEVS PIMP MY RIDE!! lol:party:

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Those sparkles... When i hunt for pelts and get hit with it, it says something like i'm being hit by boura's tail. So i guess it's some kind of extra damage attack.
Hm..I am going to test that out. I have thus far only been attacking with pets and archery.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
the red sparklies is a stunning tail smack. dunno about the white sparklies yet

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, Tina, and everybody that contributed data for the high plains bouras! I've taken 12 readings myself, all of which fell within the ranges Tina posted.

Based on this data, I've added the high plains boura to the Pet Power Calculator. As always, if you run across a HPB that falls outside of the ranges and doesn't calculate properly, drop me a line! (PM here, or PM on UOForums - I'm kitiara there, or my email is at the bottom of the Calculator).

Thanks! :)

http://www.uocraft.com/taming/pet-power-calculator/

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kitiara, wanted to let you know I just came across a high plains boura with 686 hit points.

S

Stupid Miner

Thanks, Tina, and everybody that contributed data for the high plains bouras! I've taken 12 readings myself, all of which fell within the ranges Tina posted.

Based on this data, I've added the high plains boura to the Pet Power Calculator. As always, if you run across a HPB that falls outside of the ranges and doesn't calculate properly, drop me a line! (PM here, or PM on UOForums - I'm kitiara there, or my email is at the bottom of the Calculator).

Thanks! :)

http://www.uocraft.com/taming/pet-power-calculator/
Can you get Ruddy Boura on there too? They're useful JoaT pets.

--------
@ OP: High Plains Boura's specials are listed on the page (top box, not the "Specials" box)