• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

High-level newbie question

• Thread starter imported_Evilminion
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Evilminion

Well, I'm not EXACTLY new to taming: my very first character when I bought the game on day one was a tamer.
But that was a decade ago, and absolutely everything has changed since then. So now that I'm back in the game and want to try a tamer again, I forked out the cash for two Advanced Character Tokens plus the gold for a couple of soulstone fragments, and made myself a nice tamer/peacer. Woohoo.

Anyway, so here I am starting off at a pretty good level character, but I'm still clueless as hell on a lot of things; I did borrow some great jewelry from a friend that brought my taming skill up to 110. My lore skill is 90.3. I can snag dragons and unicorns with no real trouble. So what's the problem? I've been told by three other tamers that my skills are high enough to tame a cu sidhe, but yet I've been trying for days with absolutely no success. One pup in particular -- a nice pale pinkish one -- I ticked off repeatedly for more than an hour without managing to tame it. 90% of attempts end up with "you have angered the beast"; the remaining 10% get me the usual taming monologue followed by "you fail to tame the beast".

It's driving me bloody nuts!

Have I been misled? Do I need more taming or lore skill before I can bring home a puppy? Am I doing something else terribly wrong? Help!

G

You do have a chance to tame but your chance is quite on the low %.
The required taming to tame a cu sidhe is 101.1.
That is, with 101.1 you have a small chance to succeed in taming.
Here is a taming calculator.
And here is the Stratics Hunters Guide where you can find the minimum required taming for all tamable creatures.
I've calculated your chance to tame a cu sidhe with 110 taming to be 18%.

C

Conrad99

Even with 120 Tame, 120 Lore you still have some difficulty in taming a CU. Those gumps will come up a lot. Get a suit with 70 cold & 70 energy so you can take a bite and stay alive.

To get a pink one is extremly difficult because it is the next rarest color to blaze.

You will be hunting for a while have fun.

I

imported_Evilminion

Well, in the end, I cheated.
I decided to try again on my lunch hour today, and after twenty minutes of getting my arse repeatedly bitten, another tamer happened along, snagged a nearby pup for me, and transferred it. *happy happy happy* He's not the pink one from the other day, but I couldn't care less. I have a puppy!

M

moratha

I'm going to be dumb, however, since I have never tried to tame a cu on a human tamer, it might be an issue.. might not (dont know what message it gives). However, you must be an Elf to tame a Cu.

With that being said, make a macro for use skill > animal taming;(next line down same macro) last target.

Then simply walk in front of the pissed off puppy holding down the macro key as you walk. If ya get bit, simply run ahead an heal then wait for puppy to catch up an continue on your lead taming ways

Also, with 120 taming 120 animal lore, I have gone 40 actual taming (you begin taming...) attempts at a normal white cu, and even more on some of the rarer colors. That does not count all the times I pissed off the animal, I'd say for the 40 attemts it was close to 300-500 anger issues.

If all you want is a puppy, I'm sure there are some people willing to just give you one, they are very common now.

I

imported_Evilminion

Actually, that's a good point, but nope, I am indeed an elf. (An elf now sporting a meer face in KR, but an elf nonetheless.) Thanks for the suggestion on taming; next time I see another pretty-colored pup in the Weald, I'll give it a shot!

For now, I'm just going to be really happy with my gifty boy. I've decided to name him Wrecks, since I'm hoping that's what he'll be doing a lot of.

C

Conrad99

I use the same macro's but with the suit I can take three bites befor taking the dirt nap. I am to lazy to heal in between the taming. Evry once in a while I actually can get it tamed while hurt from its bites and the CU will actually heal the damaged it caused.

Again I hate to heal being lazy.

5% Luck

As far as i can tell there is a new change to taming tweekers. Now you need real skill to bond. Now I know there are plenty of tames that got bonded under real skill but i tweeked a tamer and tamed a few cus a month ago and none of them have bonded. In fact I tamed a mare the 1st day and it wouldnt bond till I hit required real skill of 95.7 (i think) which took me anther 3 weeks after the fact!
So good luck with the jewlery trick! It didnt work for me

I

imported_Hinotori

Did you feed them first with the jewels on? I know someone using jewels that bonded a cu just this last week.

G

forget the color and look for resists and stats... then after that worry about the bank sitting colored one

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I started taming cu sidhe when my skill was around 110, and I know the first couple I tamed took me an hour or two each to do. Personally I think you should have around 115 taming skill before you should seriously consider farming cu sidhe.

The problem with cu sidhe for peace tamers is that they don't peace well, even if you have 120 peace and music, so that is what you are, your best bet is to lead tame them. They are much easier to tame if you are a mage tamer, but you need around 110 evaluate intelligence before you would start being effective that way. For that method you paralyze, start taming attempts, and then either lead tame once you start or invis yourself.

No matter what method you use, you are likely going to take more than a few dirt naps before you become proficient. However, once you have become proficient, you will find that cu sidhe are among the easiest of the major pets to tame, mostly because they aren't aggressive, and the spawn in the Wealde can be managed well with some experience and skill.

I

imported_Evilminion

Thanks again to all of you for all of the helpful advice and tips for the future; you guys are wonderful.
Guess I'd better try to get myself a 115 or 120 powerscroll and continue to work my taming! I stabled the new puppy the instant I got him back to town and fed him some apples, so I'll take him back out in a week or so and hope that I can bond him with just the jewelry. If not, back in the stable he goes until I have higher natural skills!

<blockquote><hr>

forget the color and look for resists and stats... then after that worry about the bank sitting colored one

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't believe this: I thought yesterday, okay, if I'm going to have trouble controlling my pup for a while, maybe I can get a hiryu to hunt with in the meanwhile. So I went to the local rune library, hit a rune for hiryus, ran up to the first one I saw, tamed it in three tries, and brought it back to town... at which point somebody pointed out that bright blue is a very uncommon color.
I thought he looked extra-pretty; guess I was right!

<blockquote><hr>

Im so happy doing the nuetron dace "BONDED"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah! You just pegged the Old-o-Meter... and so did I for recognizing it! Sadly, now that song will be stuck in my head allllllllllll day...