• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hiding/stealth on altars during VvV

ioioio

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm beginning to lose interest in these town battles already. There is always someone with 50 smoke bombs just running on and off the altars. There is virtually nothing you can do about this seeing as there is 0 cooldown on smokebombs and they can be used while bleed/para. This really needs to be looked at.

ioioio

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So in otherwords when I'm fighting alone, you expect me to train an extra skill to reveal these guys or log onto another char to compete? That's silly. As for conflag pots, they have what 30 second cooldowns? How am I suppose to keep a stealther off an altar with 1 conflag when they smoke bomb after a conflag?

Nephilim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm beginning to lose interest in these town battles already. There is always someone with 50 smoke bombs just running on and off the altars. There is virtually nothing you can do about this seeing as there is 0 cooldown on smokebombs and they can be used while bleed/para. This really needs to be looked at.
Smoke bombs do have a timer...

from uoguide.com "
Egg bombs, also known as Smoke bombs, allow players with at least 50 Ninjitsu skill to go into hiding instantly, even while in combat. Once the bomb has been activated, a Hiding skill check is performed as if the player were greater than 7 squares away from their opponent. Players with 100 skill in Hiding can detonate a bomb and go into hiding right next to an attacker.

Using a bomb counts as activating the Hiding skill and is thus affected by skill delay (around 10 seconds). If revealed, a player cannot use a bomb to hide again until the skill delay has elapsed."

Besides what @DJAd said, you can also run a toon with detect on them. I will swap scribe/poison/SW out for detect depending on the shard and whom I am up against

ioioio

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Have you never used smoke bombs? I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying or you are the people that are doing this hiding.
You are basically telling me to change MY template so that one of these ninja/dser chars already have hiding in their template to give them an edge?
If I am on a dexxer, they can smoke bomb 3 times to one conflag timer which makes it IMPOSSIBLE to keep them off an altar. So this basically forces me onto a mage to stop it?

ioioio

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Why isn't it a solo endeavor? There were 2 people at a previous altar, me and a stealther. Guess who won? Spoiler alert, I left.

Nephilim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Super Nova and also Mana spike. Both highley effective against stealthers. If you cannot kill them in time of the first conflag to smokebomb hit the supernova and get the kill shot

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wha ttemplate do you play? From the sounds of it, I'd guess a dexer. Not being too familiar with them, I can't comment.

However, if you have mages on your account, and I'm sure you do, take one of them. Poison field, Meteor Swarm, and Earthquake can all reveal. I believe Poison Strike can too, should you have Necromancy.

Nephilim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Fire field on a mage is much more helpful due to the constant and instant damage output. Poison is good, but It takes a second or two to tick

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fire field on a mage is much more helpful due to the constant and instant damage output. Poison is good, but It takes a second or two to tick
It also tells you when they step into it. Fire field doesn't, if I remember right. If they're stam-blocked (say, at a spawn chokepoint), they'll stay there until their stam recovers.

Nephilim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
It also tells you when they step into it.
I'm not sure what you are talking about? What tells you?

Reason fire field is more effective is because every second you are on it you are taking damage which also gives a check on the RNG to reveal just like conflag. It is better then conflag because it last a lot longer. If you pay attention to the sound, you can distinctly hear when someone is on the fire field and taking damage as well. So you can prep your next move before they realize they are revealed.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure what you are talking about? What tells you?

Reason fire field is more effective is because every second you are on it you are taking damage which also gives a check on the RNG to reveal just like conflag. It is better then conflag because it last a lot longer. If you pay attention to the sound, you can distinctly hear when someone is on the fire field and taking damage as well. So you can prep your next move before they realize they are revealed.
Poison field. If they have no resist (and most stealthers don't), they'll be poisoned right away, alerting you to their location.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why isn't it a solo endeavor?
Because you need to be in a guild to join VvV and a guild (usually) requires more than 1 person.

I'm sure on some of the less populated shards there might be alot of 1v1 fights (like the example you are giving).

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, what game are you playing?

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it or is it not a 10 sec cooldown with smoke (because of the hiding check)?

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be garg mystic, throw an RC, and make 1312312313 billion poison fields..when he shows, throw him a mana-vamp (thise guys usually dont have resisting spells) and no mana = no nub bombing away =D

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i went into a town today where there was 2 guilds in an alliance that had 10-12 guys in the towns.
in opposition to them.... me.... on a stealther.

it was near impossible for me to get up on the alter and IF i made it up there it was to get an escape route away from the constant fields and EQs and poison strikes and conflag pots.

no my friend, there is plenty enough ways to reveal stealthers in the VvV.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
are stealthers that steal sigils supposed to remain hidden? would be better if they showed up purple like the old days.
Although you turned purple, you could still hide/stealth with the sigil in the retired faction system. You either needed to cast invis or wait for the skill use timer before hiding.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
are stealthers that steal sigils supposed to remain hidden? would be better if they showed up purple like the old days.
Indeed I think Thieves that steal sigils should be revealed and not able to stealth while carrying the sigil, currently its kinda hard to stop a thief stealing sigils, specially on low pop shard where its most of the time you vs the thief ... and the thief will always win because stealing sigils gives more points than killing VvV players or fighting for altars, which is a bit ridiculous imo.

Nephilim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Indeed I think Thieves that steal sigils should be revealed and not able to stealth while carrying the sigil, currently its kinda hard to stop a thief stealing sigils, specially on low pop shard where its most of the time you vs the thief ... and the thief will always win because stealing sigils gives more points than killing VvV players or fighting for altars, which is a bit ridiculous imo.
I completely agree. The thief right now can single handily win a battle without ever being seen...

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always believed that having a sigil should make it more difficult for the carrier to hide/flee but also should provide the the person some protections that would make them harder to hold/kill.

So negatives: Hue purple, [-30] to hiding, and stealth, auto reveal once every 2 minutes - no recall, can't change forms, can't fly or ride a mount

Bonus's: HPR regen +5, Stan Regen +10, Resist 120, higher resist to poison, DMG Eater 10

This will make them easier to track and find but harder to stop/kill once revealed.

-Lore's Player

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now the best tactic for a guild to use in dealing with a thief is having their own. There has been a lot of competition on Atlantic between thieves and the larger guilds have been recruiting thieves, so I've been told. When no competing thief is on it has been hard for other guilds. There have been lots of tactics they've tried to reveal us but so far it has been a marginal deterrent. Honestly I still think its cool that a "faction" thief is useful to PvP guilds again.

VvV seems to work best on higher population shards where you can have guildmates performing different roles. That is what VvV is about, team work and guild activity. On lower population shards where VvV is a 1v1 activity the thief is always going to win.