• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP/Faction Hiding does not stop targeting

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I get hit with a spell - i hide and then about 3 secs latter i get hit with more spells. I thought hiding stopped targetting .

I now see people teleport rather than hide to stop targeting, is this the way it is meant to be?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This irks me too, but what I believe it comes from MOST of the time is the lag time between server in client.

1. The creature starts casting the spell on the server, it takes 1/10 to 1/4 of a second for you to find out.
  2. You start to hide or cast invis (taking a few more tenths of a second)
  3. It then takes another fraction of the second for the server to find out, plus the time to complete the hide/invis.
  4. by that time, the creature's/PvPer's spell has been cast on the server.
  5. While this information is being sent back to the client, the client completes your hide/invis.
  6. The Server info then hits the client a second or two after the chain of event started with #1, and the spell hits, revealing you - but to the server, you never completed the hide.
HOWEVER, there are occasions were the delay does appear to be longer than the above server/client data exchange should allow. Some of these seem to be where the creature (or even a different one) auto-reveals you and hits you with a spell they already had in motion, and you don't get the reveal message. Others, well, are just not explainable.