• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hide n Seek on store lots

G

<blockquote><hr>

I agree , In almost all threads Cb is ATTACKING someone because of thier beliefs .... I'm getting really sick of it myself , i log on to see whats new and bingo there she is attacking someone , this is harrassment , Cb you dont just give your opinion you blast anyone that doesnt share yours . Lets all just ignore her , she has nothing better to do then stir the pot and watch it boil . The mods need to address this . She is getting out of hand on ALL threads .

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, another point to consider.... if she's posting on the forums while she's logged in to EA-Land, doesn't that mean she's AFK or AFS (Away From Screen)? And wouldn't that be considered CHEATING in her book?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The first line on my stores bio page says that Greg says that AFK stores are not illegal. Oh well, huh ? I was in the room when he typed it. So guess what? If Im at my store, I will more then likely be afk.

[/ QUOTE ]Link, or it didn't happen.

Seriously, word of "mouth" in-game does not count any more than it counts for contracts in real life. Until the Terms of Service are changed, circumventing timeout is a ToS violation. Hiding is not a ToS violation, regardless of the reason. Neither is being AFK, as long as you are physically present to click the "I'm Back" button. Using any means to prevent your sim from timing out without your actually being there to interact with the game is a ToS violation.

Think about it this way: You cannot discuss methods for circumventing timeout here on Stratics. Think about why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there as well. It's true.

But what I don't understand is why the people here are trying to justify the way they play, particularly to another player.

The practice is very common in game and the rule is not enforced. There are many antiquated real-life laws that are no longer enforced, but are still "technically" illegal.

I know that people like yourself, CBrewton and others are going to be trying to seek out afk sims. That is why I will be hiding my sims behind locked doors. Have fun trying to get to them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I agree , In almost all threads Cb is ATTACKING someone because of thier beliefs .... I'm getting really sick of it myself , i log on to see whats new and bingo there she is attacking someone , this is harrassment , Cb you dont just give your opinion you blast anyone that doesnt share yours . Lets all just ignore her , she has nothing better to do then stir the pot and watch it boil . The mods need to address this . She is getting out of hand on ALL threads .

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, another point to consider.... if she's posting on the forums while she's logged in to EA-Land, doesn't that mean she's AFK or AFS (Away From Screen)? And wouldn't that be considered CHEATING in her book?

[/ QUOTE ]

BURN!
LOL

I

imported_Calina.Rhiannon

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BURN!
LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

x

hehe! point made!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, for 3 reasons:

1.My sims are out in the open while I am posting, either skilling or making money.

2.I do not hide to avoid greening.

3. I do not circumvent timeout, with or without the use of a 3rd party program, and even one beyond that I despise 'mercy boots'. On the rare occasion that my sim stops skilling while I am posting and someone takes it upon themselves to mercy boot my sims, I usually do not return to that house, and have even put on several of my sims' bios that I do not require mercy boots at any time. My position on that is that people who give mercy boots are basically enabling people to circumvent the timeout...maybe if more of those people came back to dead sims and/or severely decayed skills they'd be a little less likely to do it.

I've never at any time said that playing semi-afk is wrong. I'll be the first to admit that even single money job objects can be boring, so I have no problem with somebody switching screens to post here, or surf the web or whatever while their sims do whatever they have them doing. My issue is with those who hide for extended periods of time, therefore not really in ANY way *playing* the game, and I have even a bigger problem with those who go a step further and circumvent timeout to play that way. Even most of you here who have a problem with the first part of my stance at least the latter part is in no way a 'gray' area, it is clearly a ToS violation. Even if the first part wasn't a ToS violation, which it is, at the very least it would be poor sportsmanship because of what you are taking away from those who choose not to engage in those practices.

If you guys are going to dislike me for my opinions here, then you at least ought to be able to accurately portray what those opinions are. I hope this post clears it up for those who believe that I have issues with people who take short afk breaks to RL green or take care of a child's needs, or whatever. There's no reason that those short afk's should require hiding instead of that sim being able to be occupied with tasks.

All I have ever said is that if a person is going to play the game, they should play the game. Greening is part of this game...those that want to avoid it need to hang out in residence lots. There you never have to green, and unless I'm mistaken you can even skill on them. If you can skill in stores I see no reason you shouldn't be able to skill on a residence lot, but since that is not a category I hang out in except when the Town Hall is open, I very well could be incorrect on that point.

W

Whitilicious 07'

I never said i didn't like u , i don't know you ! You need to read what i said again ...then maybe you can understand why everyone gets so upset at you . NO ONE can post on this site without you writing a boook of why they are wrong and you are so damn right ...GET OVER YOUR %$%$%$%$ SELF ALREADY . At this point im goign to take my own advice and ignore her !!!

J

jammybob

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, for 3 reasons:

1.My sims are out in the open while I am posting, either skilling or making money.

2.I do not hide to avoid greening.

3. I do not circumvent timeout, with or without the use of a 3rd party program, and even one beyond that I despise 'mercy boots'. On the rare occasion that my sim stops skilling while I am posting and someone takes it upon themselves to mercy boot my sims, I usually do not return to that house, and have even put on several of my sims' bios that I do not require mercy boots at any time. My position on that is that people who give mercy boots are basically enabling people to circumvent the timeout...maybe if more of those people came back to dead sims and/or severely decayed skills they'd be a little less likely to do it.

I've never at any time said that playing semi-afk is wrong. I'll be the first to admit that even single money job objects can be boring, so I have no problem with somebody switching screens to post here, or surf the web or whatever while their sims do whatever they have them doing. My issue is with those who hide for extended periods of time, therefore not really in ANY way *playing* the game, and I have even a bigger problem with those who go a step further and circumvent timeout to play that way. Even most of you here who have a problem with the first part of my stance at least the latter part is in no way a 'gray' area, it is clearly a ToS violation. Even if the first part wasn't a ToS violation, which it is, at the very least it would be poor sportsmanship because of what you are taking away from those who choose not to engage in those practices.

If you guys are going to dislike me for my opinions here, then you at least ought to be able to accurately portray what those opinions are. I hope this post clears it up for those who believe that I have issues with people who take short afk breaks to RL green or take care of a child's needs, or whatever. There's no reason that those short afk's should require hiding instead of that sim being able to be occupied with tasks.

All I have ever said is that if a person is going to play the game, they should play the game. Greening is part of this game...those that want to avoid it need to hang out in residence lots. There you never have to green, and unless I'm mistaken you can even skill on them. If you can skill in stores I see no reason you shouldn't be able to skill on a residence lot, but since that is not a category I hang out in except when the Town Hall is open, I very well could be incorrect on that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry CB, i know we are also often bashing heads, but sometimes your logic or lack of astounds me....
Are you really telling us that you believe someone who is hiding to avoid greening but is watching the screen for customers is really playing the game less than you who is busy posting on forums whilst your sim skills or uses money objects?
Your SIM might be playing the game more, but YOU aren't.
How can you be so critical of others whilst being a hypocrite yourself?

I

imported_Shirl1211

No one ever said they dislike you but you tend to criticise posters in most of your threads and calling people cheaters is a violation of RoC. Is it or is it not???? Also you call hiding, poor sportsmanship, but this is not a sport we're playing, it is a game where we play not as a teaam but as idividuals. Even with this last post of yours, you are contradiciting the afk issue since I have read on several occasions that you think it is wrong and it is cheating and all that crap. For instance, go back and read your reply to Speedy, the one before before the last one . You stated that it was cheating, but when your caught doing it yourself, you change your opinion. I told you already, show me solid proof that being AFK or hiding my sim at my store while I jam or post( but not over-riding timeouts) is against any ToS rules. If there is a solution to make things a little bit easier in the game IMO I say use it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone in anyway. (((except going against someones opinion))) All I can really say to you is to stop bashing others that don't agree with you. Show respect and then you'll get respect.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry CB, i know we are also often bashing heads, but sometimes your logic or lack of astounds me....
Are you really telling us that you believe someone who is hiding to avoid greening but is watching the screen for customers is really playing the game less than you who is busy posting on forums whilst your sim skills or uses money objects?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the key issue. The number of people who hide afk AND go fully afk, most times even circumventing the timeout feature far outnumber those who hide but stay attentive to the screen and greet customers the way you describe. For the players that do that, no I would not put them in the same category as those who exploit and cheat the system, but nor do I believe they are giving their job at their store 100% effort, and I don't believe in doing anything half-assed.

As far as your analogy of me doing money objects or skilling afk goes, that is apples and oranges. For that analogy to hold I would have to be doing this while I was hosting a house and responsible for meeting the needs of other people. I can assure you when I do host, I do give it everything I have, so no, I do not believe that stating that you should live up to your responsibilities and be attentive while you're any type of host while sometimes posting while I'm in somebody else's house skilling or doing money objects is in any way hypocritical. The two scenarios are just not mutually applicable.

G

<blockquote><hr>

No one ever said they dislike you but you tend to criticise posters in most of your threads and calling people cheaters is a violation of RoC. Is it or is it not???? Also you call hiding, poor sportsmanship, but this is not a sport we're playing, it is a game where we play not as a teaam but as idividuals. Even with this last post of yours, you are contradiciting the afk issue since I have read on several occasions that you think it is wrong and it is cheating and all that crap. For instance, go back and read your reply to Speedy, the one before before the last one . You stated that it was cheating, but when your caught doing it yourself, you change your opinion. I told you already, show me solid proof that being AFK or hiding my sim at my store while I jam or post( but not over-riding timeouts) is against any ToS rules. If there is a solution to make things a little bit easier in the game IMO I say use it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone in anyway. (((except going against someones opinion))) All I can really say to you is to stop bashing others that don't agree with you. Show respect and then you'll get respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's just it Shirl, it DOES indirectly hurt other players when they take the easy way out, regardless of whether they are clearly violating the ToS or whether they are just playing in an unorthodox manner. Every time a player does that, particularly when they hide multiple sims in their house that are paid accounts, they jump the legitimaate stores on the list thereby potentially cheating those players who are sitting there at their screen ready and waiting to be a good salesperson to their customers out of those sales. Part of the flaw is in the way that the top 100 list is calculated, but this is what we have to work with. Furthermore, it doesn't have to be a sports related game for unsportsmanlike behavior to take place. That comment was made to say that I do not agree with the "Dog eat dog"/"Every man for themselves" scenario....hence the post I made in the TC3 forum that was meant to be informative to keep those who were struggling to make their ends meet from spending money that is currently unneccessary. And in response to that heads up post I got called a cheater and exploiter, probably because the people who did that were trying to sell the very items in question....that is the only reason I can think of for people to spew that kind of crap. I know we're not all one one team and that there is a certain level of competitiveness, but I see no reason that it has to be so 'ugly' in nature with people doing anything and everything they have to do to 'one-up' the competition. I get no joy at all knowing that my actions within the game is taking away from somebody else's enjoyment, and it just escapes my comprehension how anybody would.

I

imported_Shirl1211

You see CB, that's just the thing about hiding, it hurts nobody. As stated in most of my previous post I do not condone what some of the stores owners are doing with hiding" AFK" and we clearly know in our hearts that they are over-ridng the time-out. I am referring to the honest everyday people here that follow rules and see nothing wrong with hiding to keep green. Other than you not liking it, how does it hurt anyone? If I hide 1 sim at my store, and take my other sim out to jam I am constantly clicking back and forth. How can this kind of gameplay seriously hurt anyone or the game. You state that is unorthodox but it's been praticed in the game ever since that feature was introduced and if we polled this, I could just about guarantee that more people use the hide feature than don't. Remember, i'm referring to the one's who do not circumvent the timeout. Look at all the avatars that Pizza. Have you ever done this? That is exactly how some of our stores owners use this feature. It works !!! Anyway Carrie, this is MHO that many seem to share. So please respect our opinions and i'm sure that in return we will respect yours.

T

TKSpeedy1

Where do I begin? First, can you PLEASE make your replies shorter? I have to take a nap half way through your responses. Second, you seem to change your opinions when someone calls you on it. Not fair...at least I'm consistent. Third, ok...you say you don't hide to avoid greening...but let me ask you this. Do you have a lot of visitors? If so, then I can understand that. But at least try to understand the other side of the coin....Some of us aren't so lucky. I have gone for hours lately without one visitor to help with social. I'm not going to sit out in the open and have my green go down just because some people don't like it. And why should you care what I do when no one is around anyway? Also...when you go to a store and see someone AFK or hiding...If they are AFK, how do you know they haven't just gone AFK when you got there and haven't been AFK forever and overriding the time out? You don't. So please stop passing judgment on people and mind your own property.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the key issue. The number of people who hide afk AND go fully afk, most times even circumventing the timeout feature far outnumber those who hide but stay attentive to the screen and greet customers the way you describe. For the players that do that, no I would not put them in the same category as those who exploit and cheat the system, but nor do I believe they are giving their job at their store 100% effort, and I don't believe in doing anything half-assed.

As far as your analogy of me doing money objects or skilling afk goes, that is apples and oranges. For that analogy to hold I would have to be doing this while I was hosting a house and responsible for meeting the needs of other people. I can assure you when I do host, I do give it everything I have, so no, I do not believe that stating that you should live up to your responsibilities and be attentive while you're any type of host while sometimes posting while I'm in somebody else's house skilling or doing money objects is in any way hypocritical. The two scenarios are just not mutually applicable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, fine...but here you go again...I have said NUMEROUS times that I am HIDING, but not AFK, but yet you totally bash me. And when you do host you give it everything and when you are AFK you are not doing it while hosting it or needing to meet the needs of others? Well, same here, sister. So your problem with me would be what?! Honestly, do you even read what people say before you go on the attack? For the record, I hide so I don't have to green because I am alone 99% of the time. I do NOT override the time out feature. When I do get a visitor, I come out of hiding to host. When I go AFK, it's usually for less than 5 mins. So your problem is WHAT exactly?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The first line on my stores bio page says that Greg says that AFK stores are not illegal. Oh well, huh ? I was in the room when he typed it. So guess what? If Im at my store, I will more then likely be afk.

[/ QUOTE ]Link, or it didn't happen.

Seriously, word of "mouth" in-game does not count any more than it counts for contracts in real life. Until the Terms of Service are changed, circumventing timeout is a ToS violation. Hiding is not a ToS violation, regardless of the reason. Neither is being AFK, as long as you are physically present to click the "I'm Back" button. Using any means to prevent your sim from timing out without your actually being there to interact with the game is a ToS violation.

Think about it this way: You cannot discuss methods for circumventing timeout here on Stratics. Think about why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing out as long as I hit the I'm back button Im not cheating.. because really with all the posts on here putting down shop owners I was beginning to wonder.. Some of us actually have other screens open.. like ummm STratics... the ea blog ... and some of us don't always anwer for the fact that some questions are just plain and simple lazy shoppers who don't want to bother spending the time to go into a store.. Or the rude PMs or the one's begging for money .... but thanks for clarify that as long as IM hitting that button Im not a cheater...

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

TTL

I hope this isnt againt any rules for saying...

There is one store I cant even get into, yet it is high on the 100 list in EAL. Now, I thought I was banned or something, but I tried with my freebie sim and she couldnt get in either. It's closed to the public. My question is, What's the point?

G

<blockquote><hr>

There is one store I cant even get into, yet it is high on the 100 list in EAL. Now, I thought I was banned or something, but I tried with my freebie sim and she couldnt get in either. It's closed to the public. My question is, What's the point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the store and remember the guy from before the merge. He and his roommate have several accounts and in rl are disabled and quite ill (like oxygen masks and IV drips). They love the game and like to have a top store. They are willing to pay for many accounts to keep their house online and in a top position even though it is often closed to visitors.

I realize that I am tender-hearted, but I can't help but "excusing them" for any AFK and overriding timeout. They are really nice if you talk to them. If they are paying for all those accounts, not hurting others, courteous, and just playing the game "their way", it just does not bother me.

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

<blockquote><hr>

I know the store and remember the guy from before the merge. He and his roommate have several accounts and in rl are disabled and quite ill (like oxygen masks and IV drips). They love the game and like to have a top store. They are willing to pay for many accounts to keep their house online and in a top position even though it is often closed to visitors.

I realize that I am tender-hearted, but I can't help but "excusing them" for any AFK and overriding timeout. They are really nice if you talk to them. If they are paying for all those accounts, not hurting others, courteous, and just playing the game "their way", it just does not bother me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didn't know, thank you. I don't have a problem with it either, I just wondered why have a top store where people can buy stuff, when people can't get in to buy stuff? I never messaged them because I didn't want to come off as, 'Why did you ban me?' 'I HAVE to come in NOW!' etc...etc... I never know how people will take things. Sim and let sim.

J

jammybob

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didn't know, thank you. I don't have a problem with it either, I just wondered why have a top store where people can buy stuff, when people can't get in to buy stuff? I never messaged them because I didn't want to come off as, 'Why did you ban me?' 'I HAVE to come in NOW!' etc...etc... I never know how people will take things. Sim and let sim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually did message him and asked if i were banned for some reason.... Shortly after, he replied and explained his situation. We had a long chat as I am also disabled and now we are friends.
It shocks me that some people would want to see him actually banned for breaking a TSO rule, when there are far greater wrong doings in the game that actually affect others adversely.
In anycase...Has anyone actually stated that TSO rules apply to EA-Land since apparently TSO is a dirty word nowadays?

G

The Terms of Service still apply to both games.

Hiding and AFK are not against the Terms of Service, overriding the time-out feature and third-party programs, are still against the ToS.

That is as far as we can reasonably take the facts in a discussion here on Stratics, because none of us here are Game Masters and we have no idea how strictly or loosely they enforce those rules, in the game.

*I have no idea myself if the Game Masters have any communincations or interactions with the Dev Team at all.....they may be in a completely different branch/office/location of the business, for all we know.

J

jasminemoon

<blockquote><hr>

BRAVO ! I agree 100% some ppl feel the need to write a book on every post , and do u notice it is never a POSITIVE reply its always NEGATIVE .How in the world do they have time to play the game , And the whole post is based on this ( What is your input on seeking the hidin store avatars?) So you give your opinion and why , and low and behold you get called a cheater because you hide 1 sim .

[/ QUOTE ]

Just FYI..I was out shopping late last night (btw, rarely will you find me at at store that shows tons of people yet, when I land I hear crickets..actually I tend to start at the middle or bottom of the top 100 list....ok back to subject)..and in my numerous rounds, in search of a particular item, I happened upon Whit's lot..and, how bout' that, there she was-I can attest that she is NOT overriding the time out feature...I was even greeted pleasantly

I've ran around the stores enough to form an opinion about which ones are 'outright cheating' and which ones are just AFK, at one time or another, because they are doing something else at the time.

I've ran a store lot, I KNOW how quiet it can be- especially if your low on the list (or not on the list at all), and I see NO problem with hiding one (maybe two to help social each other) sim(s) to save green, and that is just my personal opinion..then again if everyone thought like CW..and didn't run a store b/c 'it's boring': there would be NO stores! Think bout' that for a bit!...NO STORES.

So, it's great that we all have differing opinions!

I don't see anything wrong with hiding to save green- it's always been especially useful when playing group games (like the ones that players so creatively think up!) and for group money objects! We are still there playing the game..just doing it to make sure we are all in 'sync'. I've always thought the devs were wonderful for implementing this option! It's one of the better (and actually interactive) creations in the game that was implemented, IMO. (unlike making the pizza pay SO very low ..sigh)

As far as "mercy boots" go, I am not one to be so cruel to my sims..but to each their own, that is something they choose to do-it's their 9.99 or more..if it backlashes on them later, they will have to deal with whatever consequences there may or may not be. It really doesn't affect my gameplay either way. *shrug*. In fact, I cannot think of way that it would in the future, either.

I have a secret *dances around*: I KNOW that cheaters never win: they are only making their own gameplay boring..can't make friends while AFK, don't feel the pleasure of working to obtain a goal, etc, etc..HA!

I always offer, and it is always be something I do, to any store owners, that if they need social, and I'm online, I will pop in by IM request (as soon as I can get there, of course)- to help with greening social. IT STILL STANDS.

Cats help a lot..but having an interaction with a real person can REALLY break the monotony.

I tend (and do try most often) to see things in shades of grey. Fact: nothing is truly black and white- never say never and such as that..because you don't know what's going on in that other person's RL! Wouldn't it be nice if we could literally talk a walk in someone else's shoes?

I can think of numerous situations...being a full time mom MERELY one of them. I can't tell ya how many times I've used the actual "Idle&gt;AFK" feature because motherhood called me to the front lines; and I have a healthy (-thank the powers that be) 7 yo daughter. It's funny, it's obviously such a rare sighting, that I often get the "How are you doing that?" question in game! *laugh*

This game is for entertainment (and sometimes an escape) for many that have no other that is equal...

I mean, as CW mentioned, their (everyone's) money helps the game keep going and more importantly:
They ARE the folks we ACTUALLY encounter when we sign on and play: Our EA-Land friends, neighbors, helpers, idealists (as in making suggestions for better gameplay), and, sometimes, "customers".

If we can be so kind to think that the devs have a life..and we should be nice and patient about it, cannot we do the same for (and to) our fellow players?

Jasmine Moon

&amp; Lady Celine HP

W

Whitilicious 07'

LOL Well i will tell you i most likely have one sim out running around trying to find good bargains , So if you see ... Jessi- , Sonia' Etc. They are me while Whitilicious watches the store . Or if i dont answer its because im getting off my sore azz for a few . And you are truely a very sweet sim . She told me anytime i need songs just im her and she will sing to me ..how sweet is that . I think we need to start having a Sim of the Month and Sim of the Year award . Because i know a few i would vote for .