• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hidden Portal in New Room In Doom - (Spoiler)!!!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I think the solution has a tenuous link to the clues at best and I based mine on something the archaeologists outside of doom said.
I think it's rather spell out personally. Granted, it took me two guesses to get it.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Someone gimme more clues..I am totally lost...I at least got the runes translated correctly :) But they don't make any sense to me...*sighs*

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Thanks! Now I I have to figure out how you, or anyone else, got to that conclusion....I did figure it out, you're hint was helpful but I have to agree with Kojak on this one....the runes on the wooden sign make no sense at all in regards to the *answer*..though it might just be me. I was much better figuring things out during the Ricardo/Inu/Kingdom Reborn Arc.... :/

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man, that was too easy. Was actually my first guess. Hard part was realizing I could go on test to use detect hidden to try it out.

So can someone else detecting on the sign unlock it for everyone else? Or does everyone need the skill to be able to go in there?

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The sign, so far, has nothing to do with the password

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ah ha!, very interesting place, didn't seem to be anything there that I noticed (yet)... definitely a cool area though.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Just trying to figure out how people came to the conclusion that it is....like how did you know it was that? I figured the runes were a clue...but they obviously are not....and I read the books...and I would never have figured it out...I guess you need to really know ultima lore to figure it out? Cus there is no way I would have even guessed that!

I'll give you a hint....it starts with a W......I forget how to post spoilers :/ lol

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh and what is THAT look for?

The runes translate to
HKCUEHQDECUJXHKOFJX and

OJNNDXEDFJOQOKONJQ

Well...I took the top half and the bottom half of the circle....I guess they ARE a clue...to something? If it's some sort of cipher I'm in big trouble :/ my brain don't work dat way! lol

But to get...THAT...the password...out of those runes....which people have said they don't have anything to do with each other...what are the runes for? And how the heck did people figure out the password?

Ohh my brain hurts...IT HURTS Kyronix! And you give me that look...*sighs*

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The runic clue seems to be a completely other puzzle and I haven't figured it out yet despite trying a few different types of cipher. I hope it is different because if I get the same answer as the other thing it will be annoying! =P

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
The father of Mondain, Wolfgang, was a much-respected king and a busy mage. The strange and violent actions of his second-born son greatly disturbed him. When Mondain was fifteen years old, Wolfgang told him he was to be sent away to live with "the brothers in the abbey," to learn to be more humble and compassionate. On Mondain's return as a better person, his father would give him his prized ruby gem, which magically harnessed the sun's power.

Mondain killed his father the next night and took the gem for himself, using its own power against itself to render him immortal. Thus, Wolfgang's son ushered in the first Age of Darkness in Sosaria, as chronicled in Akalabeth and Ultima I.

http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Wolfgang

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The father of Mondain, Wolfgang, was a much-respected king and a busy mage. The strange and violent actions of his second-born son greatly disturbed him. When Mondain was fifteen years old, Wolfgang told him he was to be sent away to live with "the brothers in the abbey," to learn to be more humble and compassionate. On Mondain's return as a better person, his father would give him his prized ruby gem, which magically harnessed the sun's power.

Mondain killed his father the next night and took the gem for himself, using its own power against itself to render him immortal. Thus, Wolfgang's son ushered in the first Age of Darkness in Sosaria, as chronicled in Akalabeth and Ultima I.

http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Wolfgang

Since, it looks like, the Noble King of the Prophetic Manuscripts is Wolfgang, who is then the Enchantress mentioned in them as well ?

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Since, it looks like, the Noble King of the Prophetic Manuscripts is Wolfgang, who is then the Enchantress mentioned in them as well ?
Minax

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
British is the Noble King, Blackthorn is the healer.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
British is the Noble King, Blackthorn is the healer.
Ahem..... so the one reference to Wolfgang in the Prophetic Manuscripts is about the "greatest treasure of a long-dead king" which will "have the power to save all lands" ? If Lord British is the Noble King then Wolfgang is the "long-dead" King ?

Not so easy to figure it out.......

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahem..... so the one reference to Wolfgang in the Prophetic Manuscripts is about the "greatest treasure of a long-dead king" which will "have the power to save all lands" ? If Lord British is the Noble King then Wolfgang is the "long-dead" King ?

Not so easy to figure it out.......
Correct.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah like I said..you REALLY need to know your ultima lore for this one I think..I knew a few of those things and I knew about Minax being the enchantress...I had help from Petra on a few other historical facts :) and the HUGE hint from NuSair (Thank you!) but to go from all that cryptic writing in the transcripts to an even more cryptic runic *message* on a plaque only a few can even SEE....that's a big leap to figure out the password...considering the runes and the password seem to have no connection..though I got *The look* from Kyronix on that one so idk :/ Once you're down there and you talk to the monk it makes a bit more sense..sorta...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a great fear that this is setting up yet another retcon in fiction that's already had too many retcons for any kind of comfort.

-Galen's player

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So what is the purpose of the new area? It looks like a throne room to me. If there is a throne, there must be a ruler...

Is this setting up for the future or an archeological expedition linking to the past (like the team entering Doom implies)?

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ask Owain the Blind, he's sittin there on the bench in his brown monk robe, and he tells you what this cathedral and everything else is about...

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...sooo: What do de runes tell us then? Anyone figured out... something? ;)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just lore that I know off the top of my head.

When it said a King that died long ago, I figured it meant someone other than British. There are only 3 Kings I know of that were named before Lord British took the throne (someone more versed in the lore may know more). That was Shamino, King of the White Dragon and Wolfgang. So, it was probably one of those three.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a great fear that this is setting up yet another retcon in fiction that's already had too many retcons for any kind of comfort.

-Galen's player
I sadly agree. When people take over a story from someone else, they want to change things, I think because it makes them feel as if it gives them ownership of them. IMO, the canon should be the foundation that things are built upon. Not for Devs. EMs and whoever else to go back and change at a whim.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I sadly agree. When people take over a story from someone else, they want to change things, I think because it makes them feel as if it gives them ownership of them. IMO, the canon should be the foundation that things are built upon. Not for Devs. EMs and whoever else to go back and change at a whim.
But then lore brings in the Time Lord - as does this arc (and a few recent EM events) - and all bets are off :p

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That isn't a good thing.
The new fiction/stuff should be about the future. If we're not misreading this then there's the potential to retcon stuff from before Ultima I! This would be bad.

Having said that I'm grateful that the new stuff has a story. Remember when Doom came out? Its story, and I wish I could remember what fellow Stratics poster I'm closely paraphrasing here, was "there are bad guys there, they have cool stuff."

But come on now.....I think I'd have preferred random demonic entity 3 to retconning Ultima I! At least random demonic entity 3 would've been something we could have fought, researched, and overcome!

I shall continue to hope, though, that we're misreading this, and that what's actually going on is "here is a glimpse into the past so you can see the roots of what is to come." That is entirely possible. And would be much better than what I'm afraid of.

-Galen's player

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new fiction/stuff should be about the future. If we're not misreading this then there's the potential to retcon stuff from before Ultima I! This would be bad.

Having said that I'm grateful that the new stuff has a story. Remember when Doom came out? Its story, and I wish I could remember what fellow Stratics poster I'm closely paraphrasing here, was "there are bad guys there, they have cool stuff."

But come on now.....I think I'd have preferred random demonic entity 3 to retconning Ultima I! At least random demonic entity 3 would've been something we could have fought, researched, and overcome!

I shall continue to hope, though, that we're misreading this, and that what's actually going on is "here is a glimpse into the past so you can see the roots of what is to come." That is entirely possible. And would be much better than what I'm afraid of.

-Galen's player
The Goal of the Timelord is to merge the shards of the multiverse with the prime world.... one could speculate if he guided Owain then the chamber and future content you are hoping for might lead us to that end....

Also this is something Blackthorn is strongly against.... thus the true reason for the Chaos Order conflict....

The multiverse and thus UO begin with the Shattered Legacy and it will eventually end when the lands are healed (or end when they are not healed and all lands are destroyed when time ends).

-Lore's Player

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The Goal of the Timelord is to merge the shards of the multiverse with the prime world.... one could speculate if he guided Owain then the chamber and future content you are hoping for might lead us to that end....

Also this is something Blackthorn is strongly against.... thus the true reason for the Chaos Order conflict....

The multiverse and thus UO begin with the Shattered Legacy and it will eventually end when the lands are healed (or end when they are not healed and all lands are destroyed when time ends).

-Lore's Player
Well that doesn't sound very promising at all... :/

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought it was more like everything will be destroyed if they aren't merged.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everything that happened after the split.... ie all of us.... would be destroyed... only the prime would exist where we aren't. So putting them back together would destroy everything that happened after the shattering...

Though in my opinion putting them back together would only recreate the problem that got Mondain killed in the first place... it would restore the gem of immortality. Not a very good idea. IMO

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Putting the pieces of the Gem back together would kill everything within the shards, since the shards are dimensionally recursive (shards within shards within shards, ad infinitium) the death toll would be immense. This was indeed what the Time Lord asked Lord British to do, and what caused the rift between British and Blackthorn.

Even Lord British abandoned this course of action, probably not wanting to become the universe's biggest mass-murderer.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Either way they die. That's the point. Either everyone and everything dies or you save what you can.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's nice to see some actual in game fiction even if it is fairly esoteric in form, especially for people like myself who have never played another ultima game, but, and I hate to be nitpicky... this isn't really the "Halloween" event it was marketed as. It's a regular/VvV story. :p

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It's nice to see some actual in game fiction even if it is fairly esoteric in form, especially for people like myself who have never played another ultima game, but, and I hate to be nitpicky... this isn't really the "Halloween" event it was marketed as. It's a regular/VvV story. :p
They're giving Doom some real place in the UO world... finally. Plus they're actually incorporating VvV into lore, rather than just dumping it into the game. I'll take it :)

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Owain the Blind who is sitting there in the cathedral has the answer about the cathedral itself:

"[..] And that is when we find ourselves... the funeral of the great King Wolfgang, murdered at the hands of an enraged and jealous son, is to held in this very cathedral. [..]"

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're giving Doom some real place in the UO world... finally. Plus they're actually incorporating VvV into lore, rather than just dumping it into the game. I'll take it :)
Like I say, I'm glad to see it. I'm just a Halloween junkie, so that part of me is sad. :(

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well then next question is the room a place one can mark a rune and make a gate into the area? There is no way I'm wasting my pick points for what it would take to make, trade and buy the last book needed. Unless I multi account script EVs in that one room that is real popular (not like a GM would ever notice a crowd). Then I could eat my cake and sell it on a vendor also.

Running around with a disco tamer with a pack of hounds and nearly 3k luck. A pure killing machine that only dies to the spawn when the classic game lock ups happen. Tried other templates. Squeezed out nearly 24 hours total of mayhem so far, and I have 14 doomies. How players have bags of 50 doomies on a vendor is beyond this honest players concept (not really, just keep to other end of doom to avoid the obvious). Only for short time did I get a good drop rate of three. Sadly that was while on the beach with creatures that die like soap bubbles.

Slowly the game's operation is returning to the old smoothness of 16 years ago the more they play with the code. How about tweeking or finnishing what content is already in the game? You know the things we like to do between the short lived sparkler that are handed out few times a year. Just come out with a 5$ extra monthly fee called account protection. Protected accounts can run 3rd party scripts without worry. Being honest will just be the thrifty way to play UO. Last three accounts I'm working down to would be protected. I could run two mages in the room and a begger at the gate ToTing. All the while still getting some yard work done. After the event is over can script mine and trap fish. And quickly find the joy in playing MORE spider solitaire. Bitter from more of the SSDD is all. Oohhh there is that Mahjong key. Later.

Enjoying the event. Working it next to AFK arseholes sucks the fun out of it. And the prizes/goals have less shine and meaning. AFK also applies to stealing your kids laptop and running another account while it sits off to the side (just in view). Least till they just admit they don't care and change the TOS to whatever makes you happy rules.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well then next question is the room a place one can mark a rune and make a gate into the area? There is no way I'm wasting my pick points for what it would take to make, trade and buy the last book needed. Unless I multi account script EVs in that one room that is real popular (not like a GM would ever notice a crowd). Then I could eat my cake and sell it on a vendor also.

Running around with a disco tamer with a pack of hounds and nearly 3k luck. A pure killing machine that only dies to the spawn when the classic game lock ups happen. Tried other templates. Squeezed out nearly 24 hours total of mayhem so far, and I have 14 doomies. How players have bags of 50 doomies on a vendor is beyond this honest players concept (not really, just keep to other end of doom to avoid the obvious). Only for short time did I get a good drop rate of three. Sadly that was while on the beach with creatures that die like soap bubbles.

Slowly the game's operation is returning to the old smoothness of 16 years ago the more they play with the code. How about tweeking or finnishing what content is already in the game? You know the things we like to do between the short lived sparkler that are handed out few times a year. Just come out with a 5$ extra monthly fee called account protection. Protected accounts can run 3rd party scripts without worry. Being honest will just be the thrifty way to play UO. Last three accounts I'm working down to would be protected. I could run two mages in the room and a begger at the gate ToTing. All the while still getting some yard work done. After the event is over can script mine and trap fish. And quickly find the joy in playing MORE spider solitaire. Bitter from more of the SSDD is all. Oohhh there is that Mahjong key. Later.

Enjoying the event. Working it next to AFK arseholes sucks the fun out of it. And the prizes/goals have less shine and meaning. AFK also applies to stealing your kids laptop and running another account while it sits off to the side (just in view). Least till they just admit they don't care and change the TOS to whatever makes you happy rules.
You can't mark or gate in the room, but you don't need the books on you to get in.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so lets be frank....can someone if they have time post how the bloody hell they worked this out in LOGICAL steps form start to finish so that people can understand why they cant .....please...because this makes my brain hurt and meant absoulte jack **** to me....

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so lets be frank....can someone if they have time post how the bloody hell they worked this out in LOGICAL steps form start to finish so that people can understand why they cant .....please...because this makes my brain hurt and meant absoulte jack **** to me....
There's not much to work out really. You either know ultima lore or you don't. At least for what has so far been discovered.