• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hi new comp, new question

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always had my old vintage gaming comp re-worked over by gaming techies, up to the point I have to stop calling it vintage and just OLD.

So yuppa, bought a ready made comp outta the store, the bestest besty best one for gaming. ok.

It's got Vista...I never really paid attention to the problems of uo and vista before...but want to know about your opinions now. Should I try it or just take it off and put XP on before even putting uo on the comp?

I'm not comp savy. I just wanna know your 2 cents about Vista before i hit any snags (trying to make this as smooth as possible)

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and sigh...looking at the dancing broccoli and the weird picture...my sis got into my stratics **** again...I have to kill her.

U

uoBuoY

One thing to consider...

XP is old. The manufacturer of the hardware in your new computer may not have created drivers for XP. You probably should contact the manufacturer and ask about XP support on you new comp before trying the changeover.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Did you get the Windows 7 upgrade code? Most newly purchased computers come with them.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Voluptuous,

The planned release for Windows 7 is sheduled for the end of October, and by all reports from the beta, is going to be far superior to Vista, and even better in terms of resource utilization, than XP. There will not be any direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7, so if as Kelmo mentions, your new comp came with an upgrade code, it is to your advantage to just put up with Vista a while then upgrade when 7 is available. You might want to do that even if you didn't get a code included, and buy the upgrade some time after 7 is released (maybe after the 1st service pack is out :p).

-Skylark

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you mean i put off vista so long its already the way of the dodo? lol

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yup. I hear good things about 7.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You see, wulf, you have a problem - none of the people talking about Windows 7 are citing MS propaganda. The people who talk about Windows 7 here are all people who downloaded the pre-release version (which will stop functioning in a month or two after official release) to test it out - and have openly discussed the good and bad sides of it, both here, and in the other forums before we reopened the UO Tech forum.

So, yes, you ARE making that comparison, whether you realize it or not.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, yes, you ARE making that comparison, whether you realize it or not.
I think Kelmo knows me enough to know that I didn't intend it as a slight to him, although I'll grant that it was an inappropriate comment for a public forum.

My experience with Windows 7 is that it is not a significant improvement over Windows Vista, and merely reskinned with a better marketing campaign this time. I'm of the opinion that it is too little, too late.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So yuppa, bought a ready made comp outta the store, the bestest besty best one for gaming. ok.

Should I try it or just take it off and put XP on before even putting uo on the comp?
What model is it? I can take a look to see if XP drivers exist.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yer OK with me Wulfy... Now behave.

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks but i tried it out...and after a slight comp too new and awsome to handle mere uo dinosaur...finally figured out a way to get it going on vista.

ONE LITTLE ANNOYANCE: "Ultima online is loading" message....will STAY on during the game and AFTER the game is shut off. You got go into task manager to get rid of it before you use uo again or you get the "another uo is running jargon"

Now its not the coolest desktop background I've ever had, and is a pain to keep ending its process...any perma way to fix this?

O

Old Man of UO

Thanks but i tried it out...and after a slight comp too new and awsome to handle mere uo dinosaur...finally figured out a way to get it going on vista.

ONE LITTLE ANNOYANCE: "Ultima online is loading" message....will STAY on during the game and AFTER the game is shut off. You got go into task manager to get rid of it before you use uo again or you get the "another uo is running jargon"

Now its not the coolest desktop background I've ever had, and is a pain to keep ending its process...any perma way to fix this?
Hmm... did you do all the Vista patches and updates? Have you updated Direct X to the latest version?