Hi Baja!

• Thread starter Naisikras
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
N

Naisikras

Hey guys!

A few times a year I'll swing by stratics to check on UO and see what the latest gossip is on a classic shard. And, my heart just about stopped when I saw on U-Hall a post by an admin of some type about polling for a classic shard.

What's going on with that?

I have about 20 good online friends that would reactivate in a second if this is true. Drop wow, drop war, drop life... lol. But, I want to find out more before I go giving all of them heard attacks.

What's the latest?

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
The Dark Woods
community.stratics.com
The Developers have expressed interest in creating a Classic Shard. I don't want to rehash three months worth of heated debate; but the major considerations right now are what would constitute a Classic Shard (Pre-T2A? Pre-Renaissance? Pre-Pub16?)? How much post-Classic Content (Monsters, Art, etc.) should be implemented? How the shard will impact (positively or negatively) Siege Perilous? And whether it will truly draw old players back to Ultima Online?

I think the developers acknowledge that a Classic Shard would be good for Ultima Online. I tend to agree.

Why most current players are so leery of the idea is that most folks want manpower focused on their respective playstyles and interests; and see a Classic Shard as a risky idea that would draw more developer time away from the Production Shards. Because they don't have the code tucked away somewhere; the developers are going to have to manually remove all the new content and rebuild some of the old systems to return it to a Pre-Trammel State.

Xelious Norwood

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 28, 2004
Baja
could also be potentially the downfall of certain shards as well.
It really does boil down to what they consider CLASSIC.