• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Here's an Interesting Question.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Where do you think Game Development will be in 5 years? I've got an Idea but I wonder who might agree.

The lines between Consoles and PC's is constantly getting blurred, technology for both is growing at an accelerated rate, multi-core processors are becoming the standard now and with Intel i7 class chips it's only going to grow faster. Of course GPU's will follow suit in the future meaning better graphics cards.

Programming is changing rapidly also. I don't foresee C++ being the industry standard at some point in the future, especially with consoles like the XBOX 360 being released with a Compact version of the .NET Framework same as the portable version of the Framework for Smart Phones. Languages like C#, and VB.NET will start to take a larger part as development for multiple platforms will become easier and more efficient than coding a version for the PC and one for the XBOX. With things like Boot Camp for Mac's and the continued development of MONO for Linux users Cross platform coding is getting easier and easier. .NET's support for Internet accessibility is something else that outstrips C++ also if I'm not mistaken.

Some will say that C++ executes faster, but that's not really always true. with Common Language Runtimes being a part of .NET the code is complied into Common Intermediate Language and your JIC compiles that to code native to the machine it's running on. This means 1st time you run it, it's slower to start up, after that it's much much faster.

To make a long topic short where do the programmers out there see game programming for both MMO's and Stand alone games heading in the future?