• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Herding Revamp

Lord Viro

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Suggestions for Revamping Herding

Herding will be a secondary skill to Animal Taming. Each 20 points of Herding will give the character an extra pet control slot. Meaning that at GM Herding the player will have 5 extra control slots for a total of 10 control slots. This will allow a Tamer to be able to control 2 five slot pets. I know that this may bring some balance issues so I also thought of a negative for doing so. Trying to control two 5 slot pets will be hard in that unless the pets have pack instinct they will be harder to control. This will also make the pack instinct of some creatures viable again with the new Pet Revamp.

For example if you have 120 Taming/Lore and you have one Greater Dragon you can control it fine, but if you have 2 Greater Dragons you would have trouble controlling them similar as if you only had say 110 taming/lore. (not sure on balance here as I only play my tamer sporadically)

Also as a secondary benefit all characters with Herding will gain stable slots according to skill as well. I would think that 1 slot per 20 points would work here as well. This will give a tamer an extra 5 stable slots.

So that the tamers don’t have all of the fun I think a secondary use for the Herding skill in conjunction with taming portion would be to use the herding skill in a similar fashion as the old enticement skill. You could “herd” animals to a specific location to make it easier to kill/tame. This might also help those who like to do events. If you could herd 15 greater dragons to a certain area and do an event to kill them all that would be great. I was thinking that this portion of herding might work in conjunction with Music skill as you have to get the creatures to follow you somehow!

Let me know your thoughts or any issues you see.

Thanks.

Lord Viro LS

Lightfoot

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shepherds can already move any tameable critter to any spot. I tame all my dangerous pets like this; by moving them to a convenient spot to tame. Have you never seen a Dragon Parade in Destard? One of my herders wiped out a whole guild in Destard once with a Dragon Parade.

Herding also works great for Champ spawns. Spellcasters can safely cast from the middle of a herd without worrying about being melee'd by mobs. And the Oaks spawn provides its own herd. When unicorns appear you can start putting together a herd of about 80-100 evil-hating friends to drag to kill stuff. I use it on Napa when I need arrows to wipe out the Juka Lord spawn.

Okay, I can hear all the shepherds telling me to stop giving away secrets. In my opinion herding is a must have for any tamer who makes a living taming and selling animals as opposed to training them.

Lord Viro

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
hmm. its been a long time since I did anything with herding. I didn't remember you could do anything with the bigger creatures.

what did you think of the top portion with the extra control and stable slots?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hmm. its been a long time since I did anything with herding. I didn't remember you could do anything with the bigger creatures.

what did you think of the top portion with the extra control and stable slots?
the stable slots idea I think is good. Personally I believe with this publish extra slots are almost required. As far as extra pet control slots I'm sorry but even one extra slot let alone five extra slots would be way way overpowered.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
People always want more control slots but.... I don't think that's a good idea. Maybe one... but if that was overpowered it would hurt really bad if they repealed it... perhaps they ought to try testing what adding 1 control slot would do on TC.

My guess is it would destroy balance. But I don't know... I do love my tamers.

I just want more stable slots... WAY more.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gee - how many pet stable slots do people want?

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC: I want about 60 stable slots per character, regardless of taming / lore / veterinary ability.

Think about the collection of weapons a sampire keeps around. This is analogous, and moreso now with "pet training."

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would really love to see some way to store/display the vanity/sentimental pets folks have outside of the stables.

Personally I would love the ability to convert a pet into a crystal statue (think dragon statue from vet reward) that would retain the name, hue and animal lore gump from the original pet.

Then tamers could clear out the stables, make thier statues and display them in thier homes... thus freeing up some stable slots for hunting pets.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would really love to see some way to store/display the vanity/sentimental pets folks have outside of the stables.

Personally I would love the ability to convert a pet into a crystal statue (think dragon statue from vet reward) that would retain the name, hue and animal lore gump from the original pet.

Then tamers could clear out the stables, make thier statues and display them in thier homes... thus freeing up some stable slots for hunting pets.
Great idea!

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Adding extra control slots is a bad idea. Like you mentioned, it will definitely create balance problems.

I like the extra stable slots idea though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Only if I could revert them back.

I'd rather be able to stable them at home and use up lock downs. Turn them into statues and lock them down at home... and then double click them "at home" ...... or any "safe" log out place and turn them back into a pet.

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Herding skill controlling a users control slots sounds like a no-brainer if it was added in the original design for controlling pets, at this point the changes required to balance that would probably alienate too many players for any benefit and sounds like it might just be a taming nerf.

We can try thinking outside the box a bit. It would be fun to see herding add a "Pack Instinct" damage increase to all the pets you are currently controlling that stacks with a pets real "Pack Instinct". So herding would help tamers who use less powerful creatures.