• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help with template

H

Hariss

Hi. I have read the faqs and posts and am trying to come up with a template for a craftsman character. I would appreciate any comments on this suggested template as I haven't played for several years and am not up on all the new stuff.

Alchemy 100.0
Arms lore 60.0
Blacksmith 120.0
Carpentry 100.0
Magery 100.0
Tailor 120.0
Tinker 100.0
-----------
Total 700.0

I was going to combine cooking with a fisherman, lumberjack with a fighter, and mining with my treasure hunter. My questions are;

1) Is there much benefit to 100.0 alchemy?
2) Can I shave some points in some places and add them to others?

S

Sir Kenga

Alchemy is not affected by other crafting skills, so it makes sense to switch it to some misc char. Also u want armslore 100.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with Kenga.

Drop Magery to 60 real (then raise it with jewelry & a spellbook).

Raise Arms Lore to 100

Put GM mining in the character, even if you are going to mine with another character. Recycling/salvaging metal from crafted items is based on your MINING skill level, despite it being a function of your smith skill. Without mining, you won't be able to smelt rejects from your smithing. Mining is, truthfully, near-useless on a T-hunter anymore, and I'm saying that as the Guildmaster of a shard's THB chapter.

Alchemy is best on another character.

Also, if you have 2 soulstones, you might want to consider having Lumberjacking on a stone, and swap it and mining out as needed on the crafter. After all, it takes the Carpentry skill to turn logs into boards - and without the ability to make boards, you'll fill up a pack animal every 3-6 decently producing trees (especially if an elf), and only be able to do 1-2 trees per trip, without a pack animal.

H

Hariss

Hi. Thanks for the help. What stats do you recommend? I guess maximun strength for a start. I am not sure how helpful dexterity is to crafts and maybe not too much intelligence? Thanks.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Stats haven't affected skills for 6 years or more (since will before I started playing in 2003)

Strength is the only one that directly matters, and that is only for carrying capacity. If you are going non-combat, you could probably get away with any amounts in the other two you like, but intelligence would be better to be higher than dex, because that gives you more mana to use for spells (such as the summons, healing and mind blast, none of which require evaluate intelligence). If you go somewhere with low to medium monster spawn to log or mine, with a character with no combat skill, the ability to get off a blade spirit or 8th circle summons spell (8th circle spells, cast using scrolls, are the same difficulty as 6th circle spells cast normal), and also to heal, are important things to consider.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My crafters template is this:

120 Blacksmithing
120 Tailoring
100 Armslore
100 Carpentry
100 Tinkering
100 Mining
80 Magery

I have I think 45 music stoned incase I need to make instruments. When I do that I just stone out armlore for music and then back. I did Lumberjacking on my Fletcher and Cooking on my Fisher. Alchemy and Inscription went on a mage.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Zippy: Here's how you can free up the Soulstones.....

If human, you will only need 5 real music skill (say, by lowering magery to 75 real, and wearing an alchemist bauble, other magery jewelry or a +magery spellbook).
Hold a Singing Axe (+5 Music), Wear the Traveling Minstrel library Talisman (+5 Music), and wear a +15 Music Ring and a +15 Music Bracelet= Total: 45

If an Elf, you need no real music skill, and can do it with the Song-woven Mantle arms (+10 Music), Singing Axe (+5 Music), and the two +15 jewels.

Theoretically, I think it's possible to get a heartwood runic saw crafted fishing pole with +10 music, to let the human do without real skill, but I shudder to think of the attempts it would take to get one. Or, for that matter, a Mark of the Travesty with music on it (if such a thing exists), or +10 music Dryad Bow.

5% Luck

I know it sux but with the 7th char slot its not too bad

What I did was

120 tailor100 tinker 100 lumber jacking 100 carpentry 100 fletching 100 arms lore 70 magery 30 focus elf (Human 100 magery joat focus med)

120 smithy 100 mining 100 tinker 100 archery 100 tactics 100 armslore 70 chivalrey 30 focus (archery for ore eles)

100 alchemy 100 hiding 80 stealth 120 magery 120 eval 100 med 100 scribe I run a stealth bomber for the extra crafting and I stealth into champ spawns and drop a few GE pots on champs for free scrolls!

This set up cramped out my account but it still leaves room for 4 pure hunter chars!

P

Papadom

How do these two craft templates look? Does anyone see anything wrong with them?

I would like to them to be self-sufficient and work as a team when needed. I have plenty of soulstones so I can move around a few skill from char to char when needed.

Mage 120
Inscription 100
Alch 100
Poisoning 100
Mining 100
Arms Lore 100
Fletching 100

Mage 80
Tailor 120
Blacksmith 120
Arms lore 100
Carpentry 100
Lumberjack 100
Tinkering 100

TY for any tips you may have for the original poster or myself.

S

Sir Kenga

Why would you want poisoning on a crafter? I think since AOS it's better be on a warrior.

P

Papadom

Sorry I am new at this post AoS

I thought to poison weps?

Why would I want to put poison on warrior? if anything I would put it on a mage to cast DP.

I consider poisoning to be an off skill for a crafter(a skill that can be put on any char to poison weps that my smitty makes for my warrior's)

Am I wrong? I still learning...

5% Luck

Well 1st off You should have mining and smithy on the same char as this come in while smelting your failed exps. Means alot less waste in the long run.

Next with the poisoning skill we get a bump in the poison lvl from the skill not when applied but when its strikes. At 100 poisoning skill there is a 100% chance of bumping the lvl of the poison by 1 lvl . So if you applied deadly poison you would hit with lethal every time. At 80 skill there is a 0 chance to fail at applying a poison and alot of players lock the skill here as 80% lethal is acceptable to most.

I can see what you are going for. Saving the points of having armslore and tinkering multiple times on your account. I spent a bit of time working through this too. I feel that its simply not easier to have the skills separated to have them in such a way as to save the skill points "per account" over "per char"

I ended up with:

120 tailor
120 smithy
100 carpentry
100 fletching
100 mining
100 lumberjacking
100 tinkring
100 armslore

840 skillspoints

Bringing me well over cap with yet no means of travel save for scrolls. The carpentry needs the armslore(debatable) the lumberjacking needs the carpentry(logs2boards) The smithy needs the mining and the armslore. The tailor needs the armslore as does the fletching. All these skills need tinkering. Basically meaning you will be getting 2 tinkers and 2 armslorists at the very least to fill out all the crafting skills properly.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I have no mules. My smith
blacksmith 120
mining 100
macing 100
anatomy 100
healing 100
tactics 100
armslore 100

my tailor
Tailoring 115 (haven't got 120 scroll yet)
taming 110
animal lore 110
veterinary 110
magery 100
focus 100
eval int 75

my bowcrafter
bowcrafting 100
lumberjack 100
swords 100
anatomy 100
tactics 100
healing 100
chivalrry 80.9 going up

I have an alchemist/tinker
alchemy 100
tinkering 100
music 100
provo 65.5 going up
peacemaking 65
resist 75

I have gm carpentry on a soulstone for him also and stone off the arms lore to use on whatever crafter needs to use it but leave it on my smith since my smith plays every day. I am trying to create and alchemist character but he is too weak so far although the new potions are nice. He can kill enough with potions to get to Admirable (along with some provocation though it's mostly from greater exlposion and greater conflagration potion kills).

S

Sir Kenga

Next with the poisoning skill we get a bump in the poison lvl from the skill not when applied but when its strikes. At 100 poisoning skill there is a 100% chance of bumping the lvl of the poison by 1 lvl . So if you applied deadly poison you would hit with lethal every time. At 80 skill there is a 0 chance to fail at applying a poison and alot of players lock the skill here as 80% lethal is acceptable to most.
1 important thing to add here. If u have say deadly poisoned (by your crafter) katana on your warrior, but warrior has 0 poisoning, he will apply lesser poison only.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zippy: Here's how you can free up the Soulstones.....

If human, you will only need 5 real music skill (say, by lowering magery to 75 real, and wearing an alchemist bauble, other magery jewelry or a +magery spellbook).
Hold a Singing Axe (+5 Music), Wear the Traveling Minstrel library Talisman (+5 Music), and wear a +15 Music Ring and a +15 Music Bracelet= Total: 45

If an Elf, you need no real music skill, and can do it with the Song-woven Mantle arms (+10 Music), Singing Axe (+5 Music), and the two +15 jewels.

Theoretically, I think it's possible to get a heartwood runic saw crafted fishing pole with +10 music, to let the human do without real skill, but I shudder to think of the attempts it would take to get one. Or, for that matter, a Mark of the Travesty with music on it (if such a thing exists), or +10 music Dryad Bow.
I only use soulstone for the music/armslore switch. My other chars have those other skills. Since I don't need to make instruments like hardly ever I don't need to keep music on. As far as using items to boost skills. Well I don't use them. I feel skill boosting items are lame. I'm all real skill.

5% Luck

I wear a pair of 15 music jewelry a singing ax and song woven mantels for the 45 min skill for instruments on my carpenter. Works great 800+charge exp instruments.

T

Teiwaz

For a Crafter the Armslore is (1) applicable to Smith's in relation to metal Wep's. & Armor. (2) appl. to Carpenter's in rel. to wooden Instruments, Wep's. & Armor. (3) appl. to Tailor's in rel. to cloth/leather Armor. & (4) appl. to Tinker's in rel. to tools that can be used as Wep's.
The ideal Multi-Crafter to me with what skill points are allowed is...
Arms Lore (100)
Blacksmithy (100) / (120)
Carpentry{Stonecrafting} (100)
Magery (75)
Mining (100)
Musicianship (45) / (5 if useing Music related bonuses)
Tailoring (100) / (120)
Tinkering (100)
= (720) / (720) This template covers the major crafting skills.

The ideal Alchemist-Scribe-Magic User to me is...
Alchemy{Glassblowing} (100)
Inscription (100)
Magery (120)
Meditation (120)
Necromancy (120)
Poisoning (100)
Taste ID or Focus (60)
= (720) This template covers the Alchemy & Scribe side of crafting at current maximum viability.

The ideal Bowyer-Archer to me is...
Anatomy (100)
Archery (120)
Arms Lore (100)
Bowcraft/Fletching (100)
Healing (100)
Lumberjacking (100)
Tactics (100)
= (720) This template covers the Bowcraft side of crafting while giving you the ability to fight back as a Ranger.

The ideal Chef-Fisherman-Bard to me is...
Camping (100)
Cooking (100)
Fishing (100)
Magery (100)
Musicianship (120)
Peacemaking (100)
Provocation (100)
= (720) This template covers the Cooking side of crafting that a Fisherman is more ideal with in combonation (no locked chests and no map decodeing needed).

The ideal Treasure Hunter-Theif to me is...
Cartography (100)
Detecting Hidden (100)
Lockpicking (100)
Magery (100)
Meditation (100)
Stealing (120)
Resisting Spells (100)
= (720) This template covers the Mapmaker side of crafting that a Theif is more suited for.

I have coverd all known "Crafting" skills in the above templates, please feel free to improve them. :)

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest:

Crafter:
- 120 blacksmith
- 120 tailor
- 100 tinkering
- 100 carpentry
- 100 fletching
- 100 armslore
- 50-70 magery (depending on skillcap and +5 - +25 on items to switch: jewelry + spellbook)
- 10 music (+30 from jewelry + 5 from a singing axe)(if an elf use song woven mantle instead)

Miner:
- 110-120 swords (depending on skillcap)
- 100 mining
- 100 lumberjack
- 90 tactics
- 90 anatomy
- 90 heal
- 60-70 chiv (depending on skillcap)
- 60 focus
With 45 dci this char is strong enough to hunt all ore elementals. I use swords course I feel lumberjacking less wasted skillpoints in combination with axes.

Fisher:
- 100-110 magery (depending on skillcap)
- 100-110 med (depending on skillcap)
- 100 eval
- 100 fishing
- 100 inscription
- 100 cooking
- 100 alchemy
Yes it is basicly an old-school 7*GM-template but you dont encounter many things on the high seas that need more. Depending on your possibilitys you could boost up med and/or magery up to 120. (120-skillscrolls for magery/med/eval are the most expensive ones.)

If your having some soulstones at hand, you could swap some of the skills if needed. On the miner for example mining for magic resist or mining and lj for parry + bushido. (This might need some other smaller skill adjustements but it is possible.) On the fisher inscription onto a full mage (120 skill; if you want to craft 'some' scrappers) or cooking/alchemy for high focus if you want to scribe many scrolls.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do these two craft templates look? Does anyone see anything wrong with them?

I would like to them to be self-sufficient and work as a team when needed. I have plenty of soulstones so I can move around a few skill from char to char when needed.

Mage 120
Inscription 100
Alch 100
Poisoning 100
Mining 100
Arms Lore 100
Fletching 100

Mage 80
Tailor 120
Blacksmith 120
Arms lore 100
Carpentry 100
Lumberjack 100
Tinkering 100

TY for any tips you may have for the original poster or myself.
I would make a few small tweaks to your templates, swap a few things around. Here's what my crafters will look like when they're finished. #1 is 98% of the way there. Just a few more points to go with tailoring.

Mule#1
120 Smithing
120 Tailoring
100 Mining
100 Tinkering
100 Carpentry
100 Armslore
80 Magery

Mule #2
100 Alchemy
100 Fletching
100 Lumberjacking
100 Carpentry
100 Cooking
100 Begging
100 Fishing

Now you may notice that I have GM'd carpentry twice. The only reason I had for doing that was to allow my lumberjack to carry more wood while out cutting. Now that I have a commodity deed box on my front steps (I cut all my wood in the forest near my house) it's not a problem to just fill up my beetle and run a screen or two back to the house and drop the logs into a deed. So now carpentry on mule #2 is on a soulstone until I decide if I really need it at all.

[Edit]
Forgot this part. Here's what I'd change on your templates.

Character #1
Mage 120
Inscription 100
Alch 100
Poisoning 100
Mining 100
Arms Lore 100
Fletching 100

Not too bad. I'd take mining off and put it on a soulstone for your smith to use. Maybe replace it with meditation to help regenerate your mana for when you're doing scrolls.

Character #2
Mage 80
Tailor 120
Blacksmith 120
Arms lore 100
Carpentry 100
Lumberjack 100
Tinkering 100

Basically this is my template for a mule. I'd get 2 soulstones (one to hold mining & one for lumberjacking) to use to swap out mining and lumberjacking as you need to.

P

Papadom

TY for all the help =)

Everything posted above was a big help!

I think I have a good grasp of what skills are required on each template according to what I need to accomplish.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread has made me re-think some of my template choices too.
I think I may need to take a second look at who's carrying what skills and move a few things around.

T

Teiwaz

If your into a "Mule" type then I recommend the following...

"B.O.D.-Resource Mule"
Blacksmithy (120)
Tailoring (120)
Arms Lore (100)
Tinkering (100)
Mining (100)
Lumberjacking (100)
Magery (80)
This template focuses mainly on the ability to craft at Legendary levels as well as being a resource-miner(ore & wood) & gatherer(leather) :bdh: that can recall &/or gate as needed.

:scholar:

Z

Ziane

My crafting skills are distributed over three characters.

120 Tailoring
100 Arms Lore
100 Tinkering
100 Lumberjacking
100 Carpentry
100 Bowcraft
100 Magery

120 Blacksmithing
120 Tailoring
100 Arms Lore
100 Mining
100 Tinkering
100 Alchemy
80 Magery

I have tinkering on both so they can make their own tools - takes a lot of hassle out of it in my opinion. The magery is on there just because I had room :D, and I doubled up on 120 tailoring for BOD's, back when I used to do a lot of those. If a new crafting skill comes along at some point I'll probably soulstone one of them.

Third 'crafter' (well, just inscription on this one):

110 Magery
110 Meditation
100 Inscription
100 Evaluate Intelligence
100 Magic Resist
100 Hiding
100 Stealth

I really only use inscription for myself, so don't go through enough tools to stick tinkering on that one.

Zi

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1 important thing to add here. If u have say deadly poisoned (by your crafter) katana on your warrior, but warrior has 0 poisoning, he will apply lesser poison only.
Good Point...few people know this fact. Other than that, as far as templates go, no need to have tons of Magery unless you want your character to be more than a "crafter."

T

Trinsie

I have 2 mules

120 Blacksmithing
120 Tailoring
100 Arms Lore
100 Mining
100 Tinkering
100 Magery
80 Meditation

First I just shoved meditation on there because I had 80 point left you can change that up.

100 Lumberjacking
100 Fletching
100 Carpentry
100 Arms Lore
100 Cooking
100 Begging
70 Chivalry
30 Tinkering
20 Meditation

Second is mainly my wood guy, fletching, lumberjacking, carpentry. He has 30 tinkering so he can make his own carpentry tools with the wood he has plus 30 is the magic number for him making trap boxes. Chivalry for traveling, cooking for fun and begging for events. 20 Med because he is elf for more colored logs farmed.

In conclusion the previous poster is right. Soulstones are great because sometimes you need to shuffle a few skills around.

D

DenverVandal

This question is in preperation for the SA release and the new imbuing skill...

My currrent template for my crafter looks like this

Tailor 120
Smith 120
Carp 100
Tinker 100
Arms Lore 100
Mining/LJ 100 (switch using soulstones)
Magery 60

My question is when Imbuing becomes available would I be able to soulstone my carp or tinkering skill for 120 imbuing as long as I take magery down to 60 real skill? Have I thought this through correctly?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The following 720 point template can cover most situations for a carpenter, but requires having a dedicated Smith/Tailor as a second character for best BODs.

Elf:
100 Tinkering
100 Carpentry (read masonry book)
100 Arms lore
100 Choice of Alchemy (with glassblowing) or Bowcrafting (best is to have two soulstones and switch these out as needed)
95 Lumberjacking (+Melisande's corroded Hatchet to make 100)
85 Mining (use Jacob's Pickaxe & mining gloves +5 to get to 100). Sand & stone books read.
70 Blacksmithing (for access to colored BODs) - Use ASH +10 or Hammer of Hesphaestus for the ability to craft the most complicated Add-ons (large forge takes 80, IIRC) with Carpentry.
70 Tailor (for access to colored BODs)
0 Music (Song woven Mantle, +15 ring, +15 Bracelet, and either Minstrel talisman or Singing axe to get the 45 for instruments)
0 Magery (soulstone off tailor or smith, buy to 30-40 magery in New Haven when needed for pentagrams, then add jewelry & spellbook to get to 75 - turn Magery skill down and take the other skill back on after you're done.) Magery equipment can be your default, giving you 45 effective magery for traveling.

An alternate form would use 3 soulstones, and you would only have 2 of the following 4 skills at GM on the character at any given time (Tinkering, Alchemy, Bowcrafting, Mining), while raising Smith & Tailor to 120. If you fill small smith BODs for replacement, you'll never need to craft a mining tool again.